Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009
An Aussie Sailor

Mipcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mipcar Send a message via MSN to Mipcar Send a message via Skype™ to Mipcar
Talking Specifications for old IOR Quarter ton class.

I'm either not looking in the right places or that data is just not around but I've been trying for some time to get (in general terms) the specifications/design data to which boats would have to complied with to have met the Quarter ton Class in IOR.

The reason I ask is that I have negligible data my boat (designed to meet quarter ton) and I've been unable to find much at all.

It's a lead fin keel, spade rudder, masthead rig of 26ft length.

I'm reasoning that as it was built to a class specification then that specification should at least give me some common data about my boat.

Stuff like Offshore category rating, AVS (Angle of Vanishing Stability), keel weight,ballast ratio and designed total weight. General stuff like that.

Somewhere that data must exist, not specific to my boat but at least to the class.

I have contacted the designer, he's past 80 and unable to help. The original owner/builder has passed away, the factory that made the hulls is long defunct.
I contacted Yachting Australia and was told they don't have data for the old classes. I've posted on other yachting forums and to quartertonclass.org , all with no results.

I am amazed at how difficult it is to trace a boats history unless it was something remarkable but even more surprised I cannot find standard design specs either.

So looking for help people.

Mychael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
The various IOR "ton" classes were just boats that rated the same under the IOR Rule. It's really just a prediction of speed potential. Many different designs built by different manufacturers could be rated as "quarter ton" or "half ton" or "one ton". Not sure what the numbers were for each rating.
Old 05-30-2009
An Aussie Sailor

Send a message via ICQ to Mipcar Send a message via MSN to Mipcar Send a message via Skype™ to Mipcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
The various IOR "ton" classes were just boats that rated the same under the IOR Rule. It's really just a prediction of speed potential. Many different designs built by different manufacturers could be rated as "quarter ton" or "half ton" or "one ton". Not sure what the numbers were for each rating.

Yeah it's the "numbers" I am looking for. I was thinking there would have been some standard criteria to which all boats in the class must have been built to.

MychaEL
Old 05-30-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Go to Boat Design Net - the Boat Design and Boat Building Site and do a search for "IOR rule". Lost of useful threads that may give you your answer. Looks like a quarter tonner rated 18.5 or less.
Old 05-30-2009

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Mipcar,

I think JimsCal is right, most of the quarter ton rule boats would have different charateristics.

I use to race on an MB24 built in Perth & I know they were originally built to the quarter ton rule. The Observer's Book of Sailing Craft of Australia and New Zealand confirms this, which states:

The MB24 is Dutch designers Van de Stadt's thinking of the Quarter ton rule.

Stats on this boat are
LOA 23ft 6"
Beam 9ft 2"
draft 4ft 5"
Displacem 1,950kg
sail area 356sq ft

Flicking thru the book other quarter ton boats mentioned include:

Admiral 26 - designed to rate 18 ft for quarter ton competition
LOA 23ft 4"
beam 8ft 4 "
draft 4ft 7"
displacement 2,041kg

Cavalier 26, described as "...now outdated by the latest dinghy type quarters.
LOA 25ft 6"
beam 8ft 9"
draft 4ft 8"
displacem 2,134kg

Spacesailer 22 "...recently been rated for Quarter ton racing
LOA 22ft 4"
beam 7ft 10"
draft 4ft
displacement 1,202kg

Also I believe that AVS is a fairly recent calculation, from around the 1990's. I doubt if you will find any AVS info on 1980's IOR designs.

Hope this helps.

Ilenart
Old 05-30-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Stuff like Offshore category rating, AVS (Angle of Vanishing Stability), keel weight,ballast ratio and designed total weight. General stuff like that.
Mychael[/quote]

The Angle of Vanishing Stability is a calculation that can be done on any boat. US Sailing has an AVS calculator.

Angle of Vanishing Stability
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 05-30-2009

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Johnshasteen,

that website gives an estimate of the AVS, note the qualifiers in the website. Also I have found that trying to get an accurate measurement of the hull (not including the keel) in feet can be difficult and can further distort the calculation.

Ilenart
Old 05-30-2009
An Aussie Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Go to Boat Design Net - the Boat Design and Boat Building Site and do a search for "IOR rule". Lost of useful threads that may give you your answer. Looks like a quarter tonner rated 18.5 or less.

I am in that other forum group. Posted a similar question there and got no answers.

Mike
Old 05-30-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Sail Boat Calculator

I don't know anything about the old IOR classes, but if you know the name and model of your boat, perhaps the Sail Calculator page will tell you the specs you want. Be sure to look the entire page over as there are several approaches embedded in it.

DaCAP
Pasadena, MD
Old 05-30-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote=Ilenart;490820]Johnshasteen,that website gives an estimate of the AVS, note the qualifiers in the website. Also I have found that trying to get an accurate measurement of the hull (not including the keel) in feet can be difficult and can further distort the calculation. Ilenart[/quote]

Ilenart, next time your boat is out of the water, take the measurements - I did and you can come pretty darn close. However, well before I did that, I had been through a Force 10 storm with Paloma and knew from experience that she would round up windward from flat down in the water, sails filled with water. On the other hand, if the boat in question is a plastic, fin keel, spade rudder round the bouy racer or lake/bay cruiser, then the owner doesn't need to know the AVS because they have no business venturing into blue water where one might encounter heavy weather.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.