Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
My issue has more to do with the fact that the cover in question shows a bikini clad woman doing...nothing. Perching on the bowsprit, doing...nothing. A bikini clad woman at the the helm, or hoisting a sail or fishing or anything would be completely different than a passive glamour shot which only makes a strong argument in favor of my opinion that sailing can at times be a bit of a "boys club".
If you want sailing and especially cruising magazines then go buy "Cruising World" or "Sail" or any other magazine as they tons of pictures showing women hositing sails or throwing a line or steering a boat. Latts & Atts is what it is because it IS different than all the other magazines out there and maybe it is geared a little towards men. Also no one says you have to buy it or read it.

Also your argument is spot on that sailing IS a bit of a boys club because it IS! Not saying that women arn't welcome or anything like that but the vast majority of boat owners are men. It is a simple fact and therefore it makes perfect sense to gear a magazine slightly towards men. If Bob started putting pictures of scantily clad men on the cover how many women boaters do you think are really out there to sustain all that revenue? It would sink quicker than GM! Also if he just put regular pictures of men and women "sailing" and doing sailing activites then it would be just like every other sailing magazine out there. Also my girl friend loves latts and atts so not all women mind the cover.
Old 06-02-2009

TAK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
a lot of us have six pak abs under there,,,, somewhere.
And some of us have kegs!
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
nk235, you missed my point. I like Latts and Atts content. I like their more laid back approach. I don't want to see beefcake on the cover either- if I want beefcake I look at my hubby. I don't mind beautiful women being featured on the cover at all, it would just be nice if they were beautiful women who were actually DOING something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Old 06-02-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineHaden View Post
Ok...why is it that this magazine caters to men? I would like to see scantily clad men on the cover and throughout the book....
Well you wouldn't know from the first post
Old 06-02-2009
Big Chicken Baby

JacquelineHaden would like beefcake. The Mims...not so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Cool blog Mimsy, congratulations on your boat!

Please support my
Old 06-02-2009

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
How about 60, breathing with a quarter keg?
Old 06-03-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
HEHEHE! This thread is hillarious! I was laughing out loud in my office.

Ok, Mimsy and Jacq-,

I was going to post my picture up here -then I realized that you would cease to respect me for who I am and what I know. You would only see me as a body-building sex symbol. I couldn't have that.

Take Pollard and TDW for instance: a face and a body only a mother could love. And Cam!! OH MY GOD! Beat with the ulgy stick. Yet, you still respect them for their opinions.

I hate it when chicks only want me for my body. That is why I keep a low profile and retain my modesty!!

HEHE!

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-03-2009
Big Chicken Baby

Quote:
I was going to post my picture up here -then I realized that you would cease to respect me for who I am and what I know. You would only see me as a body-building sex symbol. I couldn't have that.
I will totally respect you...even in the morning. Go ahead and post those shots of you and Cam cavorting together on deck in your thongs...

Old 06-03-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
I will totally respect you...even in the morning. Go ahead and post those shots of you and Cam cavorting together on deck in your thongs...
Here's the pic of Cam in his thong. You asked for it. Maybe I should talk to Bob about putting this on the next cover to make the female readers of L&A happy??

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/54864-would-like-see.html
Posted By For Type Date
SailNet Community - Powered by vBulletin This thread Refback 06-04-2009 05:19 PM