SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

baby steps

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  CapnRon47 
#1 ·
Had my first single-handed day sail yesterday and it was a blast as well as and adventure. It's only (if I remember correctly) the 6th time I've had her out under sail. Twice with knowledgable sailors, 3 times with my wife and now my solo.

We sail in Yaquina Bay, Newport Oregon, which is pretty small especially when the tide is low like it was when I was out. I use a line to hold the tiller in place. I just tie it off on the stbd quarter, take a turn around the tiller and the other end into a clam cleat. I have a furler on the head sail but I have to go up onto the fore deck to hoist the main.

Things went great until I was ready to douse sails. The head sail furled pretty easily but I lost track of where I was and hit a submerged object. Then I got stuck in mud too close to shore while bringing down the main. The outboard got me off the mud.

Baby steps but I'm having fun working on her, making things work and then enjoying sailing. We're going to our first Wednesday club race this week.
Mike

#4 ·
Finding yourself

It surely was the best way for me to begin learning about sailing. I soon was able to pack a lunch, sail away, drop the hook and then resume my sail after eating and having coffee. Like most I find solo sailing ... theraputic :)

#5 ·
wish I had pics

there was a young couple in a small boat tending crab traps and as I sailed near he stood up in the boat and took pics. I tacked and went by and he got some more. wish I had those. Our sails are yellow and orange with big blue Balboa "B" and sail number. It must be a sight but I haven't seen it yet.

So if you have those pics or if you see me sail near and take pics of "Eastwind" you can send them to me.
Mike

#7 ·
Northern Latitudes

Here-here on the single handing - the be the best way to "let go" of the stress land puts on us.

Maine's eastern location in it's time zone makes after work sails very attainable this time of year.

What time is it? :D
It's your latitude, 43N that gives you the long days. We're just a little further north at 44N and it's light until at least 8:30 and not really dark until about 10. The only downside is that it's an hour and a half drive from work or home to the boat. It's the drive that tires me out.
Mike

#8 ·
Yaquina Bay,

I am thinking this is where the bridge is Gothic looking with a huge arch in the center? The lighthouse being the same as in San Diego, and Mendocino? Beautiful country all around there.

Good on you for getting out alone. Yes baby steps is a sure way to survive. At least it should be! BEST WISHES in more successful sailing with, or without company.......i2f

#12 ·
Hey Mike,

I was wondering just today how your sailing was coming along. Sounds like very good indeed. Good job gettin' out there. And ahh, your pic of Yaquina Bay......I fondly remember spending lots of time there in my young adulthood, sometimes driving over from Corvallis for just a Sunday afternoon to eat chowda at Mo's on the wharf......mmm, yum. :) Have fun out there, hopefully we'll meet up one of these days.

Doug

#13 ·
Yaquina bridge and chowda

I can't help myself. The more I sail the more I want to. I learn something every time out and steadily improve the boat little by little.

You can't "google" Yaquina Bay without getting pictures of the bridge. Especially sunsets behind the bridge. As for Mo's chowda... not up to New England standards. Definitely not even in the same league as Mom's.

See you on the water.
Mike

#14 ·
... As for Mo's chowda... not up to New England standards. Definitely not even in the same league as Mom's.
I know what you mean about Mo's. Not as good now as it used to be. And it may be the same stuff for all I know. Could have been something to do with being young and in love and cold, blustery afternoons on the Oregon coast. :) And I also know what you mean about the habit. I'm four years in and it just gets worse and worse. :) :)

#15 ·
MtHope,

You and I are in the same boat (pun intended). I too singlehanded my 20 footer for the first time the other day. One thing I did in addition to a tiller tamer was route the halyards back so I could raise/douse the sails from the cockpit. I also added a downhaul to the jib so I don't need to go forward (I can reach the main for dousing from the cockpit).

What I do is get the engine running (very slow speed), point into the wind, douse the genoa, (adjust course now if required) then douse the main.

It will get easier. I love sailing alone! Almost as much fun as sailing with a loved one, and sometimes more relaxing.

Eric

#17 ·
still doing it the hard way

I still have to run forward and hoist the main and set the lazy jacks (I think they just get in the way). Dousing is the reverse taking 2-3 trips forward and back to hoist and to douse while trying to keep her into the wind and dodging crab pot buoys/lines (snagged one on the rudder today). I have a furler on the jib which is easy. When I get rich I'm going to rig it right (not that running forward and back isn't fun).
Mike

#18 ·
First solo

Congrats on your solo experience. I am still looking forward to my first solo. I have a 35 ft sloop and have always had the admiral on board to keep her heading right when I go forward to raise and drop the main. I have been working on installing an autopilot and when its up and running I hope to take my first solo. I hear you about crab pots and such, I have to motor about a mile before I get out of the creek and into the river enough to be beyond the shallows and the pots but once there I have plenty of room.

cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.