Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Thanks. Probably a Newbie? Takes a while for the new guys to figure out how to measure whether they are effective at serving their community.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvye View Post
Twenty five years ago, I was in Friday Harbour and watched several Coast Guard vessels check virtually every vessel that left the harbour one day. I was shocked, quite frankly. I feel one should be able to spend a day with friends, out on the water, without having armed intervention. I have been boarded by the U.S. Coast guard several times and finally just stopped heading south.
Now, my own country has adopted a similar policy. I understand that our government doesn't HAVE to comply with a request from the U.S. government to synchronize law enforce techniques, but apparently we have.
Do I believe there was pressure from Washington to do so....yes.
Last week, we learned on the news that U.S. law enforcement officials will be riding on Canadian vessels and our Mounties with be hanging out with the U.S.Coast Guard during enforcement exercises. If someone can explain to me why this is necessary, I would like to hear it.
I have heard, but not seen, that there are high speed inflatables that cruise the San Juan Islands with 50cal machine guns mounted on the bow.
Way too much policing. ps: I am enjoying reading this thread though.
It has been a subject I have been dying to discuss with my fellow boaters.
My apologies to anyone who has been offended. I fly to the U.S. regularly and love your country. I do, however, prefer a British style of law enforcement...so far, we are still allowed to question authority.

The US and Canada are friends. I am not sure I know of any country in the world that has as close a friendship as Canada and the US... with the UK a very close second if not equally as friendly. We do have common enemies. I certainly HOPE that they are "hanging out together" and working together. THe opposite of that would be frightening.

I have total respect for the US Coast Guard. They are some of the best men and women in the world, period (and yes, I am prejudice). Whenever a person gets himself in trouble, they are the ones that risk their lives (and quite often lose it) trying to rescue them. They have every right to board boats, and I am glad they do. The men and women I have dealt with have done so with honor and integrity and in a very professional manner. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I welcome them on board, offer them a coke or water, and thank them for their service and everything they have done for our country???

I have nothing to hide. You have nothing to hide (I assume). Let them on!! THank them. SHake their hand. Give them a coke or a water and invite them back anytime. I will say though... that this type of persona will make it such that they never come back again - which is our loss.

Regarding the 50 cal machine guns... what would you have them carry to protect themselves and the citizens they are entrusted to watch over? Harsh language? They are there to protect you - often from yourself.

I will tell you one thing: I am glad to have Canada to our north. I hope you are equally glad to have us to the south? We are like brothers that do not always agree, but we are still family. Comments that seperate us and draw lines of distinction do little to promote and foster that relationship. I hate the fact that passports are now required to cross between our country(s). I have often wondered if we could have worked out our differences and worked closer together in similar philosophies or border control and immigration, if that would not have come to reality? WIth that in mind, I do not mind a closer working relation ship between our two countries in every manner... especially the Coast Guards and Border Patrols. Maybe the day will come to pass when our kids can walk across imaginary lines without having to present detailed and documented proof of who we are. Right now that is a distant memory reserved to those who walked those lines before 2009.

My opinions...

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-04-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Twenty five years ago, I was in Friday Harbour and watched several Coast Guard vessels check virtually every vessel that left the harbour one day. I was shocked, quite frankly. I feel one should be able to spend a day with friends, out on the water, without having armed intervention. I have been boarded by the U.S. Coast guard several times and finally just stopped heading south.
Now, my own country has adopted a similar policy. I understand that our government doesn't HAVE to comply with a request from the U.S. government to synchronize law enforce techniques, but apparently we have.
Do I believe there was pressure from Washington to do so....yes.
Last week, we learned on the news that U.S. law enforcement officials will be riding on Canadian vessels and our Mounties with be hanging out with the U.S.Coast Guard during enforcement exercises. If someone can explain to me why this is necessary, I would like to hear it.
I have heard, but not seen, that there are high speed inflatables that cruise the San Juan Islands with 50cal machine guns mounted on the bow.
Way too much policing. ps: I am enjoying reading this thread though.
It has been a subject I have been dying to discuss with my fellow boaters.
My apologies to anyone who has been offended. I fly to the U.S. regularly and love your country. I do, however, prefer a British style of law enforcement...so far, we are still allowed to question authority.

I have been boating for all of my adult life, and some of my younger years, and have NEVER been boarded or inspected by the US Coast Guard or any marine police. So it sounds like the problem is much worse in Canada. I hope it doesn't trickle down to the U.S.

As for the RCMPs and USCGs hitching rides on each other's vessels. My understanding is that was mutual decision to improve efficiency and cut costs. These two groups patrol overlapping border areas. Previously, when their enforcement activities brought them into adjoining waters, they had to stand down and wait for the other agency to show up and take over the situation. Now, with personnel from each agency aboard each other's vessels, they can continue and complete the mission without concern for jurisdictional issues.

It makes sense to me and one wonders why it took them so long to work out such an arrangement.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 06-04-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-04-2009

johnvye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Thanks. Probably a Newbie? Takes a while for the new guys to figure out how to measure whether they are effective at serving their community.

Your absolutely right. I am a newbie. That said, I have lived aboard for 30 years and put on a mile or two. I also admit I am brand new to forums. I am enjoying this discussion and I feel this is important. Nuff said. I'll disappear if you prefer. John
Old 06-04-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Your absolutely right. I am a newbie. That said, I have lived aboard for 30 years and put on a mile or two. I also admit I am brand new to forums. I am enjoying this discussion and I feel this is important. Nuff said. I'll disappear if you prefer. John
Absolutely do NOT want you to dissapear. Stick around and help out. Just different view point on this subject.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-04-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
John, I read it as erps was referring to the police officer being a newbie, not you. You are welcome here. We enjoy a good debate, that's all.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-04-2009

Quote:
Poorly written on my part John, I was referring to the police officer. I've worked and continue to work small community law enforcement and each time a "new guy" came in, the community suffered for a little while until the new guy found the balance that suited everyone. My observations have been that new guys are often stat driven, as that is the easiest method for them to measure their performance among their peers. I personally don't think that's the best measure though and I also think the government (police) should stay out of the day to day business of good citizens and turn 90% of their attention on the 10% of the population that ruin it for the rest of us.
La Conner, WA

Last edited by erps; 06-04-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2009

petmac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
The US and Canada are friends. I am not sure I know of any country in the world that has as close a friendship as Canada and the US... with the UK a very close second if not equally as friendly. We do have common enemies. I certainly HOPE that they are "hanging out together" and working together. THe opposite of that would be frightening.

I have total respect for the US Coast Guard. They are some of the best men and women in the world, period (and yes, I am prejudice). Whenever a person gets himself in trouble, they are the ones that risk their lives (and quite often lose it) trying to rescue them. They have every right to board boats, and I am glad they do. The men and women I have dealt with have done so with honor and integrity and in a very professional manner. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I welcome them on board, offer them a coke or water, and thank them for their service and everything they have done for our country???

I have nothing to hide. You have nothing to hide (I assume). Let them on!! THank them. SHake their hand. Give them a coke or a water and invite them back anytime. I will say though... that this type of persona will make it such that they never come back again - which is our loss.

Regarding the 50 cal machine guns... what would you have them carry to protect themselves and the citizens they are entrusted to watch over? Harsh language? They are there to protect you - often from yourself.

I will tell you one thing: I am glad to have Canada to our north. I hope you are equally glad to have us to the south? We are like brothers that do not always agree, but we are still family. Comments that seperate us and draw lines of distinction do little to promote and foster that relationship. I hate the fact that passports are now required to cross between our country(s). I have often wondered if we could have worked out our differences and worked closer together in similar philosophies or border control and immigration, if that would not have come to reality? WIth that in mind, I do not mind a closer working relation ship between our two countries in every manner... especially the Coast Guards and Border Patrols. Maybe the day will come to pass when our kids can walk across imaginary lines without having to present detailed and documented proof of who we are. Right now that is a distant memory reserved to those who walked those lines before 2009.

My opinions...

- CD
I don't feel comfortable with the machine guns. Makes me feel like I'm in the third world.
Old 06-04-2009

Quote:
I don't feel comfortable with the machine guns. Makes me feel like I'm in the third world.
But they need the machine guns so no one steals the machine guns.
La Conner, WA

Old 06-04-2009

johnvye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
John, I read it as erps was referring to the police officer being a newbie, not you. You are welcome here. We enjoy a good debate, that's all.
Thanks, I am enjoying this one too. I would like to ad one story to this thread. In 1981, I was on my sailboat near Gibsons, B.C. tied to a public dock located on Keats Island. I heard a large power boat come in and tie up. Half an hour later, a large RCMP officer boarded my boat and threw open my sliding hatch. I kid you not. Once again, I was in compliance with all the rules and he left without incident. I have not heard of a similar incident before or since, and I should hope not. He didn't knock nor request permission to come aboard, he just boarded and opened my hatch.
I would like to think that this would not happen again in this manner. It takes forums like this to discuss issues that matter to boaters. If you wish to invite armed officers aboard your boat while at anchor, good for you. Most officers are great guys. Myself, I prefer to pick and choose who I invite into my residence. I am the same way at my condo. When an officer says, "Do you mind if I have a look down below ?", you can say this is my residence and I would prefer if you didn't. If a "safety inspection" does not require an officer to root through your cupboards, to me it doesn't make much sense to give the officer permission to do so.
My next door neighbour has a C&C 33. Two summers ago he was boarded by an RCMP officer right outside our marina in Sidney. The officer asked to go below and was given permission. The officer opened the ice box and noted a few bottles of liquor. He asked Don (my neighbour) why he had liquor on board. Don replied he hasn't been drinking any today. The officer told him he is not allowed to have liquor on board. If you boat has sleeping quarters and a galley, you are allowed liquor on board. The officer didn't even know the rules he is enforcing.
I believe the boating community would be better served if the officers had better training. They should learn boating etiquette, the rules and the damage their wake can cause motoring through quiet anchorages. I am currently anchored in Winter Cover on Saturna Island where we raft up on a regular basis. The worst wake I have ever seen in here was caused by an RCMP inflatable transiting the anchorage. It's the little things that make all the difference. I am not hostile toward any police officers and I want to back them up at any time. I would be the first to physically help an officer in any type of trouble at any time. I just want them to treat my boating community with respect, observe our charter of rights, respect the privacy of our homes/residences and treat everyone the same. That includes boarding of "wealthy" boats along with the runabouts. When I see an RCMP officer approach and board a "mega yacht", I will be impressed and take a photo. Still waiting.... Thanks for all the input, it's been fun...