SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Costa Rica to Galveston

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Interested in gettting a boat back from Costa Rica, where can I find information about the route back. Distance? Weather in July an issue? Approximate distance? Also, would be looking to recruit a more experienced sailor for the journey.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
General consensus from people I have spoken to who have crossed the Gulf is 4-5 days (for the Gulf) depending on weather and winds. In July, what would worry me is the threat of hurricanes and you not being able to get to port in time. Yes, we usually don't get big storms until late August and into the fall but this year the water temp is very warm, very early. Is there any way you can delay until November?

Some info specific to Costa Rica- http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/CostaRica

If you are looking for crew, try posting in this thread once you firm up your plans. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted/
SSCA is also a great site to get information and recruit crew.
Good luck!

#3 ·
I'll be sailing past Costa Rica in a few weeks heading south. I originated in Kemah, TX on the Gulf Coast. I did the crossing in big winds from Kemah, TX to Isla Mujers, Mexico in five days four hours, but 5 - 8 days is the ordinary.

Mileage will be around 1300 nautical miles give or take depending on your route. You could do it in very few stops in as little as a week in a half if weather cooperates or it could take a month or more. July down here is a bad time for this trip due to potentially very strong trades and the more rare, but possible early season hurricane.

No good cruising guides for Costa Rica which is kind of a problem. You can get electronic charts for the region from MapTech which is what i am using for electronic navigation. Also have paper charts from Discounted Nautical Charts, Reproductions, Electronic Charts & Navigational Software | Bellingham Chart Printers.

I know plenty of professional delivery captains around Galveston Bay if you need contacts for the delivery. Best of luck,

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.