Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009

chandlerman is on a distinguished road
Right now, I'm returning via bus (free wi-fi on the bus ) from South Haven, MI to Chicago having left my boat in Michigan until the weather clears and we can return to bring it back across the lake at the end of the week after a low pressure front strengthened unexpectedly.

Talking to the harbor master and other boaters, both power and sail, trapped in the harbor (of which there was no shortage), they were either, like us, being forced to scramble to find alternate transport back to their hometowns or preparing to ride out the weather until Thursday or Friday.

I think that this kind of time and/or financial commitment (extra docking & transport costs) has to be a factor that gets under-acknowledged when looking at things that put younger, and thus more time-constrained, sailors. I have more vacation time and flexibility in my schedule than most, but unfortunately, I still didn't have an extra three or four days to wait out the weather this week.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2009

4arch is on a distinguished road
I'm 31 and in the Baltimore. Crusing and big boat PHRF racing seem like they'll be on their way to dying out if more people in this generation don't get involved. I'd love to find other couples in the 25-40 range to cruise with on the Chesapeake, but they seem few and far between, especially as sailors.
Old 07-07-2009

jakemo86 is on a distinguished road
Well im 22 and in the military and i just got my first one not too long ago its a CAL 2-29 and i got a great deal on it. I would really like to go cruising for a while after i get out but money might be an issue ad i was curious where you can get income while cruising ive heard mentions of getting small jobs while docked places and was wondering what kind of jobs people get. I will be 24 when i get out.
Old 07-07-2009

JungleJim is on a distinguished road
Cruising kids

I'm 53 1/2, pretty soon I'll be 54, so I got that going for me. Great to hear from the younger folks into sailing - keep them rags up! I've sailed most of my life and bought my first big boat - 23' Santana at 27 yrs and have been hooked ever since. My younger brothers were all sailing instructors between Boston and the Cape and are now power boaters or land based, so there seems to be no rhyme or reason - sailing just chooses you. I do believe that it is a great time to get into sailing a cruiser, you just need persistence and patience.
Old 07-08-2009

tylax6 is on a distinguished road
Im 23 and am looking for a sailboat right now to learn, ive been wanting to sail for a LONG time, jst never had any money to do it, but now out of college i wanna learn, glad to hear that there are some young people on the site too! haha but we all know that the older you get the wiser you are!
Old 07-09-2009
Lost on the water...

wright1d is on a distinguished road
Funny you say that... When my wife and I got married we went to Maui and meet this older couple on one of those America's Cup boat rides and we mentioned we would like to own a sail boat one day... (blah, blah, blah) and they really pushed us almost to the point of challenging us to just buy one they basically said it does not matter what it looks like, if you like it get it and don't wait, don't make excuses, it will make you happy and you will figure out a way to pay for it if you really want it and enjoy it.

Turns out they were spot on. Unfortunately it took us another 8yrs to get enough cash together & but we both love the boat!
Old 07-09-2009

tylax6 is on a distinguished road
pure inspiration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright1d View Post
Funny you say that... When my wife and I got married we went to Maui and meet this older couple on one of those America's Cup boat rides and we mentioned we would like to own a sail boat one day... (blah, blah, blah) and they really pushed us almost to the point of challenging us to just buy one they basically said it does not matter what it looks like, if you like it get it and don't wait, don't make excuses, it will make you happy and you will figure out a way to pay for it if you really want it and enjoy it.

Turns out they were spot on. Unfortunately it took us another 8yrs to get enough cash together & but we both love the boat!
Old 07-09-2009

JungleJim is on a distinguished road
When starting out, you can also consider sharing ownership with like minded friends. Work out a plan to share the costs and use of the boat.
Old 07-09-2009

casioqv is on a distinguished road
I'm 24 and just got my first boat- a 1974 Catalina 22 which I sailed for the first time last weekend, after working on it for a month or so. It only cost $800, and I'm probably $2000 into it now that it's in safe sailable condition.

When I got married 2 years ago my wife and I planned to go sailing in the San Juan islands for our honeymoon, but couldn't afford to buy a boat so we did a road trip on the Olympic peninsula instead. Now that we've graduated from college and have more money and time, I'm hoping to trailer my C22 1,000 miles north and finally do our dream honeymoon!

I was surprised to find that there's almost no young people into sailing, but the older people are very knowledgeable, helpful, and excited to pass along their knowledge to an interested younger person. I can't imagine why sailing isn't more popular- it can be fairly cheap and tons of fun.

I've always wanted to sail- I grew up powerboating and loved to be on the water, but I hate the noise, expense, and unreliability of gasoline engines and couldn't wait for the engine to turn off! Now I have a boat without a gas motor at all but 4 redundant drive systems: sailing, electric trolling motor, rowing, and calling a towing service on VHF!

Last edited by casioqv; 07-09-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2009
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
I'm 36 and in Washington, DC. I'm shopping for my first boat.

This is a very interesting thread. I have a few thoughts not already mentioned here about why there aren't more young sailors. If you didn't grow up sailing, it can be pretty intimidating. I grew up in a generation where most of our parents were divorced - maybe that's a big reason why fewer of us have sailing experience. Probably very few of you learned how to sail as a kid from your mom.

I definitely see many more younger people with power boats. Motor boats have a much shorter learning curve, which might make them more attractive to the inexperienced. It looks like a car on the water, and a car is a familiar thing.

I didn't get on a sailboat until I moved here and a family friend in Annapolis took me out on his boat. Although I've been on plenty of power boats, I never much cared for them - loud and smelly. I'm more the hiker than speedracer type. Never really crossed my mind that sailing would be for me. However, I loved - loved sailing. It's taken me a few years to get serious about learning and take lessons, but now I regretted that I waited even that long.

Another thing no one has mentioned. Young sailors are rare, young women sailors are rarer. I sail with my girlfriend and I'll tell you that two young women alone in a sailboat - we get stared at a lot. While I see plenty of male-only boats, I rarely see all-female boat crews. Actually, I've never seen one.