Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009

Soontobecruiser is on a distinguished road
I turn 35 this year and my husband turns 43. We currently have and Islander 36 and intend to get a larger Catamaran to take a few years off to cruise as soon as our house sells. We've both been sailing since college.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2009

freetosail is on a distinguished road
I'm 20 turning 21 and I don't have a sailboat, yet. It's my dream to sail across the atlantic after graduation and around the world before I turn 25. I've known many people who dream of doing amazing things, but never try to achieve them. I don't want to be like that. I want to set sail and see the world.

One reason that young people don't go sailing probably has to do with how this country is career and money oriented. As a student at a prestigious institution, I know the pressures that are applied to students to focus on nothing more than their GPA and resume, leaving little room for dreaming of the wide open ocean. After college, money becomes the objective. Rarely does anyone stop to think about the value that they get out of that money. For me a 20,000$ sailboat would be far more valuable than a 350,000 home. Which one gives you the most life experience.

Last edited by freetosail; 07-14-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-10-2009

JungleJim is on a distinguished road
Free - There is wisdom in those words. Personally, I'd say go the sailboat and plan your trip. I'm at the other end and when I look back, I would not have lost much of a start if I had jumped on a boat. I'm having a fun run, none the less.
Old 07-10-2009

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
Hey frree2sail,
I'm 29 and would liked to have started after this lifestyle at about your age. You never know what the future has to offer so do what u want, when u want. Anybody can do these things (no matter the age, the kids, the wife, or ex-wife as it may be for some or most????) its just most don't. Go for it.
I don't have to long before I'm finnaly out there.
Good luck and just go for it.
Old 07-10-2009

civilman is on a distinguished road
I am 20 years old, and enjoy reading all of the adventures, tips and reviews. I do not have a boat - but I am looking for all the practice and experience available. I am studying in the bay area in California, and I am originally from southern San Diego.
Old 07-10-2009

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I am 32 and have been sailing on and off for 8 years. I have always been fascinated by sailboats but growing up in the middle of farm country I never was around them. I took a sailing course out of college and bought a san juan 21 and sailed it for a couple of years before I bought a power boat. Last year I sold the power boat and bought a Santanna 20.

I would like a bigger boat but dont want the hassles of owning one. This boat suits my needs for now.
Old 07-10-2009
Lost on the water...

wright1d is on a distinguished road
I found that other then the expense of everything being larger the bigger boats are actually easier!

I think your on to something Free.. In this economy I can't see how it would hurt you to take some time off (other then the resume gap) and its not as hard to move to a more restricted life style now as it may be after you start getting serious extra cash in you pockets. Do what you want while you can as once folks get married and kids start coming many folks trade their desire for adventure for the idea of stability & their lives are easily lost to their kids. We are trying to balance that as I figure the kids are going to enjoy what ever they grow up around so we each have some activity that's important to us, while doing kid activities, and trying to spend time as an overall family. Its hard..

Personally I would suggest working for a few years, keep your expenses minimal and then go out on your adventure, it will give you some time to see what a grown up life may turn into and while your gone you can reflect on what may really make you happy?
Old 07-12-2009

rvarnes is on a distinguished road
In Norfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence623 View Post
I'm glad you started this thread. I am 27, and have a 36' Catalina in Hampton, VA. I haven't met anyone within a decade of my age around the docks, and none of my "normal" friends are remotely interested in sailing. If anyone here lives around Hampton and wants to go PM me.
I'm also 27 in Norfolk, about to take my first sailing lesson, and would love to practice after getting the basics. Let me know if you'd like some company. email: rachel.ov01@yahoo
Old 07-13-2009
tidepoolpaddleboater

britcoal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to britcoal Send a message via MSN to britcoal
I just turned 31 this May and this is my third season with my 36' Dickerson ketch - she is from 1963, and wooden, so most of the conversations about her involve my jokes that "I hope she is still floating", but it's been a blast so far. I am spending the time to do a lot of the work myself, but here in Maine we got 11.5 inches of rain in June (avg is 3)... so needless to say it took awhile to get all the varnishing done this year (outside at the yard). Truth be told, the work is almost as fun as the sailing, if you have the right attitude. Doesn't make getting up in the morning to head to the boat yard any easier, but it could be much worse.

As to the limited number of young people sailing these days - I do think there are a lot of people who just don't realize how cheap it can be. With this economy, I'm seeing plenty of boats for a $1000~$2000 that are in good shape, often trailerable (or with trailer!), and ready to sail - pocket cruisers, day sailers, and even coastal cruisers, you name it. It can be done cheap if you have the patience to look for the deals.

Around here one of the major problems is getting a mooring - there are waiting lists between 5 and 10 years long in most towns, and renting at a marina is highway robbery. Another reason to get a trailerable, I guess.

When I do it again I'll probably go smaller (and very probably not wooden!).. but I had to make the mistake once in my life so I would know better in the future
Old 07-13-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I'm trying to get more interested, I just taught a co-workers 13 year old daughter to sail, and will expose all 6 of my nieces next week in the 1000 islands. I'm bringing my Wave.