Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009
Currently, between boats.

ChicagoNewport27 is on a distinguished road
I turned 32 June 9th, 2009, and I have a Newport 27. I am the youngest boat owner in the harbor, the next youngest being over 50.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is a great thread. I'm 25, about to turn 26, and I just bought my first boat, a Gulfstar 37. I'll be living aboard starting next month.

I think I went about this whole adventure backwards from most people. I started dreaming about megayachts, saying "someday I'll have one of those". Then I realized, if I have a multi-million dollar megayacht, why have a house? Just live on it. My daydreams led to me to real-life used boat prices, and I discovered powerboats as big as a house for under a million dollars... I thought "that's achievable in the not too distant future!" Then I dug deeper... I found nice boats plenty large enough to live on for under $100k. I was already considering buying a house for more than that. At this point I started seriously considering living on a boat now, instead of it being a dream for the future. Then I saw the price of fuel. Instantly, I switched to looking at sail boats. Then I got a reality check in the difference between what a bank will loan you for a house vs a boat, and started downsizing my plans. Then I took a sailing class -- my first trip aboard a sailboat ever -- and I instantly fell in love with sailing, as I suspected I would. Then I bought a boat. Here I am, awaiting closing on my first boat.

I think a lot of the conjecture about why young people aren't into sailing is true -- they just don't get the attraction of doing without the TV and video games -- but also finding financing is really hard. I graduated from college with huge debt, and the boat about doubles it. I talked to a lot of banks where they said "you're young, and you've never bought anything big, and you have a lot of debt, so we're going to deny you even though you have a perfect credit rating". By "big" they mean a house. My car apparently doesn't count. Yet I got approved for $250k for a house loan. Everything is stacked in favor of most young people choosing a life on the hard.

Edit: In a fit of nostalgia, I just went on Yachtworld and looked for powerboats in the $100k range, and I actually found the listing for the boat that made me switch from "dream" to "do it now", apparently it is still for sale. I'd still say that boat would make a fantastic liveaboard.

Last edited by rmeador; 09-07-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-07-2010

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
rmeador, way to go with the boat. Its a s*@t ton of work but worth ever cent.
I am now living aboard and sailing my boat near every weekend and have about a year before I can take off on my first of hopefully many six to nine month cruises. Then maybe longer ones. All i can say is read, read, read all you can on what you are wanting to do and take what you want from the ones you agree with. Screw the rest.

Good luck
Old 09-08-2010

5hortBu5 is on a distinguished road
'Nother youngin' here. I'm 30, and just purchased my first boat, a 1974 O'Day Javelin.
Old 09-08-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

TintedChrome is on a distinguished road
And another.. 33 here, with a 24 foot racer undergoing a refit and resto.

Will be shopping for a cruiser in the mid 30 to low 40ft range next year. Ideally I'd love them to be slip mates and I can sail the Farr while I live aboard the cruiser and prep her for extended cruising in 5 years or so.

More expensive to maintain and slip 2 boats, yes.. but still cheaper overall than rent/mortgage, I'll have a relatively cheap boat to sail in the meantime, and the 24 footer will serve as a nice infusion into the cruising kitty towards the end.
Hull #37

I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer understanding of who's going to be impressed.
Old 09-08-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
will expose all 6 of my nieces next week in the 1000 islands.
Now I know why they call you "Uncle Creepy."
Old 09-08-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
rm - I'm stealing this post for the Salt's thread. This is exactly the kind of thing newbs ask about and is really valuable info.

Congrats on becoming a Salt dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is a great thread. I'm 25, about to turn 26, and I just bought my first boat, a Gulfstar 37. I'll be living aboard starting next month.

I think I went about this whole adventure backwards from most people. I started dreaming about megayachts, saying "someday I'll have one of those". Then I realized, if I have a multi-million dollar megayacht, why have a house? Just live on it. My daydreams led to me to real-life used boat prices, and I discovered powerboats as big as a house for under a million dollars... I thought "that's achievable in the not too distant future!" Then I dug deeper... I found nice boats plenty large enough to live on for under $100k. I was already considering buying a house for more than that. At this point I started seriously considering living on a boat now, instead of it being a dream for the future. Then I saw the price of fuel. Instantly, I switched to looking at sail boats. Then I got a reality check in the difference between what a bank will loan you for a house vs a boat, and started downsizing my plans. Then I took a sailing class -- my first trip aboard a sailboat ever -- and I instantly fell in love with sailing, as I suspected I would. Then I bought a boat. Here I am, awaiting closing on my first boat.

I think a lot of the conjecture about why young people aren't into sailing is true -- they just don't get the attraction of doing without the TV and video games -- but also finding financing is really hard. I graduated from college with huge debt, and the boat about doubles it. I talked to a lot of banks where they said "you're young, and you've never bought anything big, and you have a lot of debt, so we're going to deny you even though you have a perfect credit rating". By "big" they mean a house. My car apparently doesn't count. Yet I got approved for $250k for a house loan. Everything is stacked in favor of most young people choosing a life on the hard.

Edit: In a fit of nostalgia, I just went on Yachtworld and looked for powerboats in the $100k range, and I actually found the listing for the boat that made me switch from "dream" to "do it now", apparently it is still for sale. I'd still say that boat would make a fantastic liveaboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-08-2010
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
This is a great thread and I am glad Rmeador has resurrected it.....

Best of luck Rmeador with the boat, and getting out there and living the dream. It takes real balls in our 'modern' society to deviate from the norm and do something apparently as radical as living on a boat.......

My wife and I are also youngish compared to what is now 'normal' amongst sailing and in particular cruising folk. We have both just entered our 30s, and have been sailing for most of our twenties.......

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 09-09-2010

Patient is on a distinguished road
Hi there.

Im 30 and have been in the market for a Blue Water cruiser for the past 2 years. I am taking my time and have been chartering a lot in between. I grew up sailing and just in the last few years have resurrected my interest with a lot of course work and piggybanking.

I am split between a Hans Christian 33 and a Baba 35. Hopefully this Jan will be the last Charter I will be doing on with someone else's boat.

Fair winds!
Old 09-09-2010
Islander 32' Mischief

adams3287 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
I am 29 here. Been into sailing since I was 22.........was told shortly after that 'cruising' was uncool. It was for when you are old and retired......until then you are just mean't to sail your boat in circles around cans while drinking beer.....

We are part of a local yacht club that has a cruising division that meets once a month and we are easily the youngest there by about 20 years. Having said that it takes a certain type of person to be a sailor, so some of the 60 year olds we know from cruising are 'younger' and a hell of a lot more fun than some of my 25 year old friends

It is good to know that people our age are out there pursuing their dreams as well. We are not all addicted to shopping Malls, Playstations, and spending our weekends following Britney's Twitter Page
I have to completely agree with chall03's above quote. I'm 23 and am just moving aboard my 1964 32' Islander that has just been fully restored, a 9 year project with my father.

It seems so many of our peers want to zip around in their flats boats and sportfishers. I still get the last laugh when I pull up to the fueling dock and don't have to pull out a line of credit to fill my tank.

All said, when you get ready to do your cruise, let the rest of us know, who knows, maybe us young folks can pull our schedules together and take the islands by storm!