Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010

BrickPearson26 is on a distinguished road
Hey All,
I'm am 23, and have been cruising on an off since the age of 20. Last winter my girlfriend and I sailed my 30' 1973 Pearson from Maine to the Abacos, Bahamas. We ended up living on the boat for six months and picking up a cat on about month two. Eventually we ran low on funds and traded the boat for an SUV in Florida and drove back north with all of our belongings.
It was a fantastic trip, but it made us realize how few young cruisers there are in the world today. All together, we met four other cruisers about our age - 2 were a brother and sister from Maine (whom we had never met before the trip) on a what I think was a 28' Albin Vega racing boat from the 80's, one was a 27 year old out of Maryland on a 28' Cheoy Lee, and the last one was a 24 year old out with his father from New York on a 35' ketch.

I think the greatest inhibitors to cruising is the amount of preparation involved in doing an extended trip on a sailboat (including working on a boat and accumulating enough money), and the time required to do it. Rather than "regular travel" where you just have to buy a couple airline tickets and book a hostel, cruising requires a fairly expensive boat that needs to be outfitted with many expensive parts. Also, most young people don't even know that cruising is an option available to them. The only young cruisers who get publicity are those who circumnavigate, which is honestly a completely different kind of cruising than what most people would ever want to do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2010
Pearson Commander

mceveritt is on a distinguished road
I'm 24, own a Pearson Commander (26ft) - Havent done any long trips yet, but getting ready for it!

It's very true that most people my age prefer motor boats, I think it's immaturity!!
Old 09-09-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I think people make it too much about the boat and not about the sailing. In other words, as seen in another thread, a dude found a C22 for $250 that will probably catch wind and go with very little work. Done! You're sailing and having a blast for the cost of an XBox360.

You can always find a crappy-yet-sailable boat and just get out and have fun. Instead people obsess too much over trying to find a perfect boat for too much money, or spend too much money trying to perfect a crappy boat instead of sailing it. My C27 was seriously crappy when I got it - now it's a little less crappy - and it's been fun since day one!

Just find something and go sailing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-09-2010

5hortBu5 is on a distinguished road
Bang on, SmackDaddy. I got my Javelin with a trailer for $250 in ready-to-sail condition. She ain't gonna win any beauty contests, or races for that matter, but the perfect boat for the rookie sailor is the one that's waiting in his driveway for him when he wakes up on Saturday morning.
Old 09-09-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
That's what I'm talkin' about!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-09-2010
Underwater Basket Weaver

TintedChrome is on a distinguished road
Yup.. bought mine for outstanding storage and a case of beer -all told about $1000.. She needs work, but there's absolutely no reason it won't get splashed in the spring. I would've done it this year but there's little time left in the season here in the snow belt. In the meantime, I'm using other people's boats.. and funnily enough now that I own my own folks are a lot more likely let me take theirs out.

So in my case, just "joining the club" and being a boat owner is what allows me to sail to my heart's content
Hull #37

I can't imagine mastering the skills involved here without a clearer understanding of who's going to be impressed.
Old 09-09-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
I am a youngin, 23 years to be exact. The story of cruising and trading the boat for an SUV is pretty cool. Not a lot of people experience that sort of freedom anymore.
People assume too much. People think they need way more than they do. I plan on saving 25-35K in the next 4-5 years and leaving. I do not care about the fact that once that money runs out I will be destitute. I will have a college education in the sciences. That along with my desire and ability to pick up and move whenever and wherever I wish will keep me going until I find where I want to drop anchor for good. I cannot wait to be a young, sailing hobo
Old 09-09-2010
I Am, therefore I Sail

kpgraci is on a distinguished road
GET OFF MY LAWN!

uh...sorry. it just kinda came out.
'73 ODay 22

If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 BC - 65 AD)
Old 09-09-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Lol. Classic old guy line. You might even follow that up by handing your grand kid fecal matter in a box for his birthday. Then, using your senility as an excuse, you can laugh hysterically in the bath room at the fact that you just gave someone poop in a box and got away with it.
Who says getting old HAS to be so crappy, literally
Old 09-09-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I think people make it too much about the boat and not about the sailing. In other words, as seen in another thread, a dude found a C22 for $250 that will probably catch wind and go with very little work. Done! You're sailing and having a blast for the cost of an XBox360.
I love this concept, and I'm mostly following it but it hasn't been quite so easy and cheap for me. My $800 C22 appeared to be in good shape (a year ago when I was 24), but after learning more, I decided it needed a year of work and thousands in materials just to be safe to sail.

It did "catch the wind and sail" but it was a sinking and/or demasting waiting to happen with major neglect and missing parts all hidden by a nice-ish paint job and clean-ish teak.

I'm mostly done now and cruising it with my wife- it was a great learning experience but not quite the "cruising sailboat for the cost of a used laptop" that I hoped it would be. Perhaps for the cost of a new laptop...

I certainly have much less money in my entire cruising boat than many cruisers spent on their dinghy- or perhaps even just the motor on their dinghy.

Last edited by casioqv; 09-09-2010 at 01:06 PM.