Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010

Aeolis is on a distinguished road
Im 24 and my wife is 23. Ive been sailing on various small boats on and off since 15 and when our Ranger 22 came up for sale 3 years ago I couldnt resist mush to the concern of my wife.After a few day sails I soon sucessfully transmitted the sailing bug to the wife as well and now she cant get enough. Now were looking for a bigger boat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2010

SophiP is on a distinguished road
We also get jabs about what our parents will say when we do such-and-such to OUR boat! We're 23 and 28 and own a Downeaster 32 which we live on. Not too many other young people on boats out there, but there is another guy our age on his sailboat right next to us, and we have two under-30 friends in the marina across the river! Maybe it's the new hip thing to do...
Old 09-16-2010
Canuck in Mexico

Guero is on a distinguished road
I'm 34 and I own an Aloha 34, and currently expatriated in Mexico. I have my eyes on an Oceanis 400 parked at Isla Mujeres but it will destroy my savings, that I've been piling to get my own house in Mexico. I love sailing.
Sold: 1982 Catalina 25 (Polaris)
Old 09-17-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
I was looking at some of the sailing magazine demographics, and it seems like about 90% of sailors are 50+, wealthy, male, and have 20+ years of sailing experience.

If they have so much experience- that means that 20+ years ago there must have been tons of young sailors, but young people aren't interested in sailing anymore.

It's quite a bummer, but I suspect you'll hardly be able to give away large cruising and racing sailboats twenty years from now, when these 50-70 year old sailors pass away or are too old to sail, and hardly anyone left even knows or cares about sailing.
Old 09-19-2010

hardalee22 is on a distinguished road
I'm 32 and have been sailing for around 6 years. Started with an O'day 22 and moved up to a Mariner 28 4 years ago. Sailed the boat from NYC to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia this summer. Trying to get more friends to buy boats.
Old 10-06-2010

malcolm3 is on a distinguished road
26 with a morgan 30

I have a 1969 Morgan 30. Im in Jupiter, Fl trying to get on my way to the Islands within the next year or so. Im updating all of my systems now and working on my kitty.
Old 10-06-2010

g0twind is on a distinguished road
I'm 25 and have a 23' Paceship PY23. Before that I had a Hunter 140. Currently sailing out of Eagle Creek Marina in Kendall, NY on Lake Ontario.
Old 10-06-2010

peoples1234 is on a distinguished road
I'm 24 and just picked up an '87 Hunter 23. Three more full weekends of work and I think she'll be ready for the water (I hope).

My dad was a sailer growing up. My mom could take it or leave it. They had a San Juan 21 and then an Ericson 32 for most of my teenage years. I was apathetic to sailing during most of that time, something I really regret. I liked it, but never really go into it. My dad sold the Ericson because no one really cared for sailing except for him. As I am sure you can imagine, he is ecstatic now. I hope we make it out on the water before January.

Last edited by peoples1234; 10-06-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2010

Kenif is on a distinguished road
Apparently according to my wife I act like a 5 yo!
Old 10-07-2010

ClaireFAISE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3492 View Post
...... here in San Diego. I have a 28 foot Cal Jenson that I was lucky enough to gain owner ship of. I have put every extra cent I have had into her over the past year and now she's ready to sail on a moments notice, which was my goal. There is still a lot to be desired though as always. I have sailed down to Mexico already but my big dream is to spend months sailing down Baja and coming back up in the Sea of Cortez and just roughing it. I lived in Tijuana for 2 and half years and have gotten my taste of Mexico but now I wish to return via mi valero. Anyone else here in SD?
I'm from San Diego too

I'm 21. I have no boat yet

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.