Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010

GulfCoastPirate is on a distinguished road
I'm 29, two kids, on the Texas Gulf Coast. I'm currently looking at a Columbia 36 that will be my first sailboat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereBePirates View Post
I am 28, never really saved a penny lived the the reckless consumer life in London for too long.

Was made redundant 3 weeks ago, bought a 32 Contessa that same week, flew out to Lisbon and sailed it to Portimao where I am now fitting her out to cross the Atlantic on the next full moon on the 16th of November.

It is a learning curve!! Loving every minute of it, will cruise till I run out of money or sink

ThereBePirates.com

And the picture of my sexy contessa! The keel on that baby will see you safe in the biggest oceans.

I'm relatively new at this, but isn't it normal to spend a little time getting to know your boat before you attempt to cross an ocean on her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 11-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I'm relatively new at this, but isn't it normal to spend a little time getting to know your boat before you attempt to cross an ocean on her?
Yes, it is... but not everyone subscribes to that belief. Look at Abby Sunderland... massive FAIL...and she didn't have her boat more than two months before she left on her circumnavigation, and had to restart because of her lack of knowledge on how to manage the electrical demands aboard Wild Eyes. Heather Neill is another great example...spent all of her time fitting the boat out and almost none sailing it—and FAILED two days from departure. Took a massive hit on the boat as well. Most of the ones who don't subscribe to the belief have failed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-01-2010

GulfCoastPirate is on a distinguished road
Myself, I'm going to bump up and down the coast for a season or three before heading for the blue water. Mostly, I've got some pretty chitty luck so I'm not taking any chances...
Old 11-01-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I'll chime in here for my son (34), who with his wife bought a Bayfield 36 two years ago in NC and fixed it up. They took it down the ICW and then to the Bahamas for a couple of months then back to Florida and then to Panama where they realized they were going to be parents. Change of plans (no Pacific crossing right away), back to NC where the boat is on the hard now while they are in Australia helping a friend they met while cruising (who just recently sailed the boat to Oz) build his house. They met and cruised with a lot of young people that are out there living the dream. Good to see how many here on SN are young and getting into sailing. Myself, I'm 59 and I think I'm just starting to mature:-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 11-01-2010

Catalina400mkII is on a distinguished road
I'm 21, been sailing most of my life, started with a flying scott, then moved up to an oday 222, n now our most recent purchase a catalina 400 mkii. We sail on the chesapeake bay

Last edited by Catalina400mkII; 11-01-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2010

ThereBePirates is on a distinguished road
"An albatross was a ship's good luck charm, until some fool killed it." - Mal

Thanks for your concern, I am not worried, taken care to ensure everything will go smoothly.
Old 11-01-2010

Memopad is on a distinguished road
I learned to sail and race on 420's in college. After a few years of doing no sailing outside races on everything from 210's to tartan 4100's and C&C115's I finally have my own boat. I do nothing but sail for fun and love every minute of it. I'm 25 and bought a Marieholm IF this past spring, and brought home a Ranger 28 this fall.

Been a great learning experience for me. Completely different perspective on things from a crew vs. owner standpoint. Most of my sailing this summer was singlehanding. Had a few "oh ****" moments (snagging the outboard on the mooring pendant as i was sailing away downwind, yeaaah...) a few days cut short by frustration, usually from too much wind. After sleeping on it and figuring out what I did wrong I'd go back out the next day in the same conditions and it would all go right. I'm sure the new boat (Ranger) will bring another set of surprises and frustrations but I'm looking forward to continuing the learning process.

Last edited by Memopad; 11-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2010

Matvolver is on a distinguished road
Am 34 here in Oklahoma, with no sea and no boat
Old 11-07-2010

OTIMO is on a distinguished road
I'm 39 and living in Kemah Texas aboard a 46' Express Cruiser (powerboat...guy) I also have a 38' Cigarette. Not too many people below 45ish living aboard a boat, I am doing it to rid myself of the anchor known as home ownership.

P.S. I can sail.....just like living in ultimate comfort.

Modern Day Sonny Crockett!...aka Miami Vice