Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010

james679 is on a distinguished road
I'm 31 and just bought my first boat, a Wing Keel Catalina 22 last year. I sail on Canandaigua Lake in the fingerlakes region of New York and love it. I've only been sailing for 3 seasons, started crewing on a friends boat and then joined the local yacht club. I have made plenty of mistakes, but my summer would be lost without it. Thanks for all the great reads and learning that this website has taught me!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010

granche1 is on a distinguished road
Im 32 and have a 1986 Crealock 37. My boat is in puerto vallarta while I tend to my land and responsibilities in northern california. It is hard having a boat that is 2500 miles away. I am hoping to flee the rain and drive another trukload of gear down there in a few weeks. It is an interesting time. While I a dreaming of sailing around the world, my girlfriend of 6 years is getting impatient about having children. Perhaps ive hit on the reason that there are not so many young couples out there.

grant
Old 11-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No reason you can't go sailing with children. Dave and Jaja Martin and many others have done it quite successfully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by granche1 View Post
Im 32 and have a 1986 Crealock 37. My boat is in puerto vallarta while I tend to my land and responsibilities in northern california. It is hard having a boat that is 2500 miles away. I am hoping to flee the rain and drive another trukload of gear down there in a few weeks. It is an interesting time. While I a dreaming of sailing around the world, my girlfriend of 6 years is getting impatient about having children. Perhaps ive hit on the reason that there are not so many young couples out there.

grant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-30-2010
Captain Sane

Death3 is on a distinguished road
Hi im 19 years old and i own a 28ft Pearson Triton and ive been refitting it the past year and getting ready to sail the Caribbean
Old 11-30-2010

GulfCoastPirate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
No reason you can't go sailing with children. Dave and Jaja Martin and many others have done it quite successfully.
I plan on doing just that very soon. Hopefully by next season.
Old 11-30-2010

CruisingWolf88 is on a distinguished road
I'm 22 and I've got myself a 1988 Catalina 30, been sailing since I was six years old.
Old 11-30-2010

Serendipitous is on a distinguished road
My husband and I are both 28. We have a mooring in Muskegon where we have seen a few 20 somethings like ourselves, plus a few families with kids. The yacht club next to us (Muskegon Yacht Club) seems to have a decent amount of people in their 30's, but they're all racers.
I've also noticed from going to our boat a few Fridays this past summer that the Yacht Club offers sailing lessons to kids from about 4-15. There have been races with close to 20 lasers out there (1-2 kids per boat), so it looks like there is another generation of sailors coming along, at least in West Michigan.

Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

Old 11-30-2010

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by granche1 View Post
Im 32 and have a 1986 Crealock 37.............. While I a dreaming of sailing around the world, my girlfriend of 6 years is getting impatient about having children. Perhaps ive hit on the reason that there are not so many young couples out there.

grant
Granche1, run for a secret vasectomy. Babies are loud, stink, can't trim a sail for sh!t, and hate the taste of rum.
TravelinJack likes this.
Old 12-17-2010

wkeenan78 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up I think I'm still young...

I'm 33 and have a Starratt and Jenks 45' sloop I keep in Sarasota FL. My wife is 32 and the girls are 9 and 11. We will set sail permanantly in 10 years.
Old 12-20-2010
Islander 32' Mischief

adams3287 is on a distinguished road
I'm 23, and like so many here own my own boat (1964 32' Islander), restored it and sail her proudly. It seems like it would be a wildly awesome idea to have a couple of "young" people sail-ins somewhere, While schedules are hard to coordinate, even a rendezvous of 3 or 4 boats can lead to a cool trend in other places, and who knows, maybe we'll even spark a new tradition.

Just an idea....

-Tom