Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
I am waaay over 30 but I'd like to offer some thoughts. Owning a cruising boat is a serious expense just to keep her at a slip. more than most people that age can afford. Consequently, I see the future of sailing for young people to be trailer sailboats.
We started trying to cruise at about age 28. Finally, at age 55 I am able to do whatever I want but find I do not want to sail around the world as I did back then. Expect your dreams to change with age but do not put them off till you can afford them.
I've tried to give my 28' S2 to my 25 yr old daughter but although she likes sailing she is not ready to take the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
I am 30 and I liveaboard with my wife and son on a 50' Gulfstar. I got the boat two months ago and it is my first. No sailing experience before. I am always on the lookout for experienced crew to be able to get out which I am trying to do every weekend. I would much prefer starting with a smaller boat and work my way up but finances only worked out if we lived aboard. So there. I am in the SF bay area.

First cruising plan is 5 years out across the pacific.
Old 06-04-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Owning a cruising boat is a serious expense just to keep her at a slip. more than most people that age can afford.
This.

I'm not saying there aren't any young people that own their own cruising boats, but they are a rare encounter. I have yet to meet anyone in my marina under 25 who owns their own boat. Oh sure, there are quite a few who operate them and claim that the boat is theirs, but almost every time it turns out that the boat actually belongs to daddy and the kids get unlimited use, and "claim" that the boat is "theirs". Kudos to the kids who actually buy their own boat, pay the payments, pay the insurance, slip fees, maintenance costs, etc....but they are far and few between.

It makes me laugh sometimes...my very best friend loves to tell people he has a lake house....and a boat....and brag about spending weekends there...the reality is the lake house belongs to his mother in law, the boat belongs to the grandfather (who owned the lake house and gave it to his daughter)....but he seems to think that because he married into it, that the property is his....and no, the inheritance will eventually go to the older children.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 06-21-2011

dangwood is on a distinguished road
hello, my names daniel I am 35 and I sail a 25ft venture out of hammond bay area. Michigan. Only been sailing since fall 2010.
Old 06-21-2011

aimcat is on a distinguished road
Im 29, my husband is 29........
Old 06-21-2011

painthappy is on a distinguished road
Just turned 35 here... Tanzer 26 owner here.
Old 06-21-2011

Csails is on a distinguished road
My husband and I are 28, we are the 'under 30' boat. This is our first season with our J29, we're looking for younger crew to join us in Marblehead for racing!
Old 06-21-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
23 years old here. Own a 26'4" AMF PaceShip out of Jacksonville, FL. Plan on cruising the Bahamas upon graduation from university. Eventually want to work myself up to a 28-32' and go across the Pacific to Micronesia.
Old 06-21-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
This.

I'm not saying there aren't any young people that own their own cruising boats, but they are a rare encounter. I have yet to meet anyone in my marina under 25 who owns their own boat. Oh sure, there are quite a few who operate them and claim that the boat is theirs, but almost every time it turns out that the boat actually belongs to daddy and the kids get unlimited use, and "claim" that the boat is "theirs". Kudos to the kids who actually buy their own boat, pay the payments, pay the insurance, slip fees, maintenance costs, etc....but they are far and few between.

It makes me laugh sometimes...my very best friend loves to tell people he has a lake house....and a boat....and brag about spending weekends there...the reality is the lake house belongs to his mother in law, the boat belongs to the grandfather (who owned the lake house and gave it to his daughter)....but he seems to think that because he married into it, that the property is his....and no, the inheritance will eventually go to the older children.
Hi, nice to meet you!
23 year old sailboat owner here. Title and registration are in my name (just like my car.)
I pay my slip fees, haul outs, do all the work myself (with a few borrowed tools to be honest!) I plan and single hand my own trips and will be moving aboard once the heat of the summer falls off a bit (early september)
I am the youngest owner by far at my marina and the only other few couples who are around my age (early 30's) are married. I am definently the odd man out!
However, it IS expensive. I have had to postpone putting in ventilating portholes and new dorades due to an unforseen problem with the pressure plate in my bell housing unit. Also, had to do a re-haul the day after my bottom job because the old packing mtrl had dried out and was allowing a steady trickle of water in. Was not an expensive fix but haul-outs aint cheap!
I pay about 168$ month for my slip and 400$ for rent. Own the car outright and pay insurance once every 6 months. Boat registrations paid through AUG 2012. Do not have insurance on it yet.. unless it carried over which I do not think it does? Anyway, marina hasnt required me to get it and as long as I have it by the time I depart for the Abacos I will be fine.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello! We are a rare breed but we are out there!
Old 06-21-2011
CrazyStrause

crazystrause is on a distinguished road
27 on B27

Hola,

I moved to Annapolis from Richmond Va so my girl and I could spend more time on the water in my '68 Bristol 27. The plan is to throw the lines in mid Nov and head south for a Bahamas tour through the winter.

Ive been pretty lax with the posts but you can check out the excitement at our blog: Sublime Sustenance | means of sustaining life; worthy of adoration or reverence

Any other young east coasters wanna meet in annapolis and flotilla down the ICW before the jump across?

Phil
s/v High Life