Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Hi, nice to meet you!
23 year old sailboat owner here. Title and registration are in my name (just like my car.)

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello! We are a rare breed but we are out there!
Nice to meet you! Rare indeed, but I know y'all are out there. It's refreshing to meet a young person who isn't still hanging on daddy's wallet and is making their own way in the world. It's a nice feeling, isn't it? To be your own person, providing for yourself, and what you have you've earned and paid for yourself. It's a matter of personal pride and being an adult. You are leaps and bounds ahead of your peers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Hey thanks for the kind words Joe.
Truth is someday s it's hard owning a boat. Those days are mostly the days I go to balance my books
The rest of the time I feel tremendous pride in owning a boat. I wait tables for work so often times I get guests who ask me questions about what I do and such. I always love the responses I get whenever it comes up that I own a sailboat and love sailing. Old people look at me with a look of half wonder and envy and the rest astonishment.
I am used to being poor so living scarce is nothing new to me. Besides, everyday when I leave from working on my boat I get to think how I am one day closer to throwing off the lines for good. It is a sort of anxious excitement.
I will say truthfully that I still have a lot to learn. I know almost nothing of the boats electrical systems and most of the plumbing needs replacing. Also, my diesel engine experience is bare-none besides taking apart the engine from the transmission and bell-housing unit to see the broken pressure plate in front of the gears. Also, I get terrified still every time I attempt to put a new hole in my boat. I find myself asking questions of fellow sailors at my Marina that appear common sense to them (yet none of them can convert my IPJE numbers to feet of line I need to buy!!! >=( )
Work on my boat takes 2 to 3X as long as others it seems. My workmanship is definitely lacking in gelcoat repairs (matching off white is FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE!!!)
I find fiberglass repair is not too bad, but then the inevitable gelcoat... Also, while I do appreciate mm teak cabin I DO NOT appreciate the three days of wood restoration I have been involved in.
Lastly, who knew port holes could costs so much money? I have no idea how I will get those done by myself yet.. Got a bit to figure it out though.

So THANK YOU joe for your kind words. While I am a proud and jubilant sailboat owner the truth is I am about as scared and unsure as the rest. The only real benefit I can see in it all is that I got plenty of time to learn!

Regards,
Tristan
Old 06-21-2011
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
It's all good Tristan....those feelings never really go away. I have days when I'm wondering how in the world I'm gonna pay for that....what have I gotten myself into....that costs how much????.....oh yeah. You just learn to live with it and you get used to it.

Wait until you buy a house!!!

You may already know, but here are two excellent book you should buy if you don't have them already:

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual

Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual

With these two, you'll be able to do just about anything and everything on your boat. Well worth the investment....and try to find a good coupon for them, like when Borders sends out the occasional 50% off one item coupon. I used those to buy my books, including the Annapolis Book of Seamanship. It's nice to get a brand new $50 book for $25!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 06-21-2011

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
If one was 23 and he had the whole world too see
But then instead decided to get married....just like me
One day he would regret not escaping to the sea
He would wonder what the **** he his reasonin be
FOR
Working on boats, to keep them afloat, is far easier than trying to make her HAPPY!
Old 06-26-2011

annnim is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone - an interesting discussion here!

I'm 26 years old (omg, wrote first 25, but I just turned 26 a couple of days ago!) and my bf is 27. He has been sailing forever and now he is teaching it to me. At least this far I've loved it - it has been great to explore new places with such an ecological and natural way and from the sea perspective since I have been used to travelling by land. Well okay, you can question if sailing actually is ecological... Anyway, it is a totally different way of travelling than for example flying. We have now sailed from our home country, Finland, to Norway and will be exploring this interesting area of fjords and mountains during a couple of summer months. We are still young and we do agree that most people we met sailing this far in the harbours seem to be already on pension... It is weird that not that many younger people do sail. Well, it is of course quite expensive, but we are not spending crazy amounts of many since we prepare food by ourselves etc.
and our
Old 06-26-2011
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road
26 years old

I'm 26 and my wife and I have a Catalina 27 that we sail out of Everett, WA.
Old 06-26-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
I'm 22 and restoring a Cheoy lee as a learning experience. I love working on sailboats almost as much as I like sailing emm. hope to work my way up to a world cruser, and sail around the world some day. would really like to meat some other youngsters 30 and under would be cool. Im in the Annapolis Baltimore area, PM me if you close!
Old 06-26-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
This.

I'm not saying there aren't any young people that own their own cruising boats, but they are a rare encounter. I have yet to meet anyone in my marina under 25 who owns their own boat. Oh sure, there are quite a few who operate them and claim that the boat is theirs, but almost every time it turns out that the boat actually belongs to daddy and the kids get unlimited use, and "claim" that the boat is "theirs". Kudos to the kids who actually buy their own boat, pay the payments, pay the insurance, slip fees, maintenance costs, etc....but they are far and few between.

It makes me laugh sometimes...my very best friend loves to tell people he has a lake house....and a boat....and brag about spending weekends there...the reality is the lake house belongs to his mother in law, the boat belongs to the grandfather (who owned the lake house and gave it to his daughter)....but he seems to think that because he married into it, that the property is his....and no, the inheritance will eventually go to the older children.
Plenty of affordable sailboat around right now, I'm 22 and am on my second boat. Just gota let go of all the maybes and chase your dream, its really quite simple. In Florida, "and I'm sure many other places I haven't sailed", you just be a man and anchor out with the real sea dogs. Its free! plus having to row out to your boat for me is kinda rewarding and fun, especially when the older guys motor by and wonder how the hell this kid is living the life already!! Cheers!!
Old 06-26-2011

shamrock6 is on a distinguished road
I'm 31, married with a 9 month old son. This is our first year owning our Bristol 35.5. It's a lot of work and money, but well worth it. We keep the boat on the Magothy river off the Chesapeake Bay
Old 06-26-2011

cbtucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker
I feel so old now

And here I thought I was going to not feel so old in these forums. 43 just got to be really old, and I don't even have a boat yet. I better hurry up so I can catch up with all these young whipper-snappers!

Seriously though - I'm jealous of the people that started doing this young! I'll just have to make up for lost time..

Good sailing to you all!

1 man on a mission to live the dream!