Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011

RGBrogan is on a distinguished road
I got started when I was 16 or so on Sunfish. That's when the addiction started. I then moved to a 26 O'Day when I was 26 and sold that last year to move to a Hunter 34. I am almost 30 and my first season with the H34, I learn new stuff every time I go out, I still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles yet. It came with a spinnaker and I haven't figured out how to fly it yet. I think I almost have it by looking at lots of pics. If anyone is around the Raritan Bay area and would like to go sailing for a day, please PM me. I would love to learn som of the finer points!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxandreams View Post
I'm 22 and restoring a Cheoy lee as a learning experience. I love working on sailboats almost as much as I like sailing emm. hope to work my way up to a world cruser, and sail around the world some day. would really like to meat some other youngsters 30 and under would be cool. Im in the Annapolis Baltimore area, PM me if you close!
Hey man, cool to hear about another like myself. I like the lines on the Lees but here bad things about leaks with the teak toe rail. You planning any voyages next year? I am planning a Carribean circuit next year in the May time frame. Would always enjoy another boat for the cruise (I got the spot in the
Abacos-- Gotta love Grandparents =)
Hope your boats going well man. Im in Jacksonville, FL if you ever hit the area and want to hit some sailing and maybe even some clubs! Hahaha see! You old saltys can help me tighten my turnbuckles and cut out old portholes but I wouldn't take a one of you for a Friday night wingman! Sorry friends!
But I still loves ya all!
Old 06-27-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Guess with all the people posting in one of the tow threads, I should put my name in the hat as well. I'm thirty with a twenty-nine year old wife. We've four boys between the ages of four & eleven.

We've been sailing for just under a year now on a small variety of dinghies (16ft and under). Working our skills up for the planned family boat in another years time (or thereabouts). Funnily enough, I've always been what my mother nicely called an "old soul" and my father more honestly labelled a "cynical old b@stard". So while we're under the average age of the other sailors in the area, it never really bothered me.
Old 06-27-2011

eckcn17 is on a distinguished road
Wow just saw this thread but dont have time to read all 27 pages!

Im 30 and just bought a Pearson 31-2 been sailing my entire life mostly on inland waters, everything from optimist, laser, scows, to keelboats, all in all not that much time spent though. My wife and I are now on Lake Michigan on the WI/IL border and have that little dream in the back of our heads that so many have of "one day"

I just truly hope we can change "one day" to "today" and really pursue our dream of sailing round the world!

For now, we plan on taking a few years to learn the ropes of cruising on L.M. and somehow stratigize on making that initial departure!

My biggest fear is forgetting the dream and pissing my "good" years away behind this STUPID DESK for silly little green pieces of paper!
Chris
Old 06-29-2011

peninsulatour is on a distinguished road
Hey I am new to this forum.... and found this thread interesting.... now I too want to experience the same thing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
My wife-ish and I fall just under the line at 34 years old. We have a little Contessa 26 which doesn't have a home yet as we are about to make our way around 3 of the Great Lakes.

We were just at a little BBQ put on by some really nice folks in one marina. Outside of one other guy our age, everyone else was over 60. There were quite a few comments that young people just weren't interested any more. I put forth the notion that for sailing here you need money and time. Young people generally have one or the other but not both.
Old 06-29-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
Next question would be how many of us jumped to answer the question, then realized we're no longer eligible? :-(

43 regards...

(but still am one of the youngest in our club, from what I can see)
Old 07-13-2011

Andrea Royer is on a distinguished road
Hey everyone, I'm very new. I'm hoping we can generate some discussion in this thread. I'm 25 and will be moving to Mobile Bay to live and work on the family sailboat in the next month.

I've sailed with the University of Tennessee (the *real* UT!) Sailing Club and Team, but have been out of it for awhile, finishing up my degree, so I'm a bit apprehensive about getting a feel for things again.

I never really felt comfortable with our boat, anyhow, as it's 27' and I learned to sail through a Broadreach program on a 52' boat.

So, I'm really hoping I'll meet some awesome people down in the Bay that might be willing to teach me a thing or two.

Of course, I anticipate I'll make lots of friends of all ages, but as I've experienced it, there are very few people my age in yachting communities, so maybe I they'll pop out of the woodwork with me posting here?
Old 09-09-2011

millmonster is on a distinguished road
oy...im in sd and im trying to crew for a boat anywhere.. any ideas? im strong disciplined and thirsty to sail
Old 09-12-2011

KneeDeep34 is on a distinguished road
I'm a 28 year old owner of a Catalina 22' my parents purchased the boat 17 years ago and it was given to me when they purchased their new boat, a Catalina 34'. We love both of these boats and use them often, plan to take a cruise to the Keys and Dry Tortugas as soon as I can finally finish with my schooling (hopefully not in the smaller of the two).