Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009

Brucerobs2 is on a distinguished road
The "Young" guys

I'm 41 and new to my SA. Around the docks, there are about 4-5 of us in the same age range that are referred to by other, mature members as those "young guys". Its pretty funny. There seems to be a small but steady influx of us in recent years though so I hope that continues to trend that way.

But the "old guys" still usually smoke us around the cans on Wednesdays. We'll get 'em eventually (when our young kids are old enough to crew). Maybe they are stacking our PHRF numbers against us.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
Im 30 and my wife is 28.I have yet to see any sailboat owner in my marina in my age group.We are on our second boat, a 33 footer.I have been asked a few times who owns the boat and keep getting "advise".
Meanwhile, I have been around boats and sailing longer than they have.
Old 06-05-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Bought my boat in 2007, I just turned 26. Now, pushing 28, its hard to find young people who enjoy the detail oriented challenges that sailing provides. It's extremely dynamic, expensive, and slow. My generation isn't about slow or long attention spans.

I don't make a bunch of money and sailing takes a lot of it, but its worth it to me. Everytime I set sail, I feel like the richest guy on earth.
Ritchard likes this.
Old 06-05-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
I justed truned 47 and my wife is 45 and we still get referred to as the "young couple with the sailboat at our marina".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat
Old 06-05-2009

jgsteven is on a distinguished road
Under 35

I'm 30, and just purchased my first large boat (32') about a year ago. Of course, the boat is older than I am...

I think in addition to the 'would rather video game' factor, economics plays a major role. Many people who I graduated with spent a large part of their 20s paying off college debt (myself included), and then for the last ~5-10 years houses have been historically very expensive as a percentage of income (and rising). This doesn't leave a whole lot left over...
Old 06-05-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Well my son is 27 and I am a child at heart. Does that count??

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 06-05-2009

AirbusDriver is on a distinguished road
I am 37 and my wife is 40. We have 2 boys age 13 &10. We have been sailing our 30' catamaran for about a year and had a 30' Catalina before this. I have not really thought about our 'young' age. I did always notice we are always the younger parents at school functions and such. My boys take sailing classes at the local Yacht Club and noticed they need a infusion of young people. We were only ones walking through the club without white / blue hair. When I inquired about membership I was told of a $7000 initation fee and monthly dues I was also told I should hurry because they were getting to raise the initation fee. No thanks...i can pay a lot of slip fees and buy gear with that money.
Old 06-05-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
Tell you what though, there will come a time when all the older folks begin to sell off their boats in large numbers and because there aren't enough younger sailors to buy them all, there will be excess supply and the market for used boats might get very buyer-friendly.

I'm 30, living on my 30 footer right now. I like talking to the salty guys around the marina. Wish there were younger people (especially ladies) cruising around too but they would have to leave the sub-woofer and beer bong at home.
Old 06-05-2009
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
I bought my first boat, a Cal 27, when I was 25, then bought my Tartan when I turned 29. Now I'm 43 (Does this make me MIDDLE AGE??). STILL can't get enough of sailing. My Wife is a few years my senior and she still loves it too (the sailing that is )
It really doesn't matter the age as long as you are young at heart and are still nimble enough to handle the boat without being a danger to yourself, crew and other boats. When I'm no longer able to safely go boating.....I'll have to make some tough decisions
Old 06-05-2009

GeorgeH is on a distinguished road
I'm 32 and buying my first boat...to live on!! Click on my blog below for more details. South Pacific, here I come!!