Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011

bassviking is on a distinguished road
In San Diego, 34, and just bought my first legit boat, a Cascade 36. Started out with a Southcoast 22 in NE Oklahoma. It was pretty basic and I liked to call it my glorified dinghy. The Cascade however has been awesome. I'm living aboard and take it out at least once a week. I usually go singlehanded as I can never find anybody who likes to go out on wednesday or thursday afternoons when I have the time to go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
I was given a Soverel 28 when I was 19 by my Grandfather. I had sailed with him on it since I was 8. When I was 20 I sailed it down to Belize and lived down there for a couple of years on it. Running illeagal charters with backpackers I met or what I ever I had to do to get by. I sailed back up to the key's and then on to South Beach Miami when I was 23 and lived aboard on the hook just south of the Venetian Causeway. I deliverd Taco's, worked in Bar's. Worked for Sailing Services as a rigger for a while. Then I sailed back to Key West and did the same thing there all through my 20's and 30's. Working as delivery captain, legal charter's, house painter. Sailng down to the caribbean when I managed to save some money. The engine broke on my first trip down and could never afford to fix it so I just sailed around with out it every where. Took it out completely about 15 years ago. One time I loaded my boat with 3 month's worth of food with food stamps. I'm a merchant marine on a tug boat now. 401 k, health insurance, a wife. Still have that boat though. Just finished restoring it. We own a house in Guanaja, Honduras, I plan to sail it back and forth each every 6 months. and live in Key West the other in a real apartment with a bath tub! I just turned 40 but still feel 30 something. All though hard at times, I would'nt trade my youth of bare bones, shoe string cruising for anything!
I keep the boat on the hook.
souljour2000 likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-20-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-22-2011

EricMaz is on a distinguished road
We started cruising at ages 33 and 38 on a Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31. I bought my first boat at 25 (a catalina 22). We've been cruising full time for 7 years from Alaska down to South America.

Most of the people our age or younger have only cruised for 1 or 2 years and returned back to work or start a family. I wish there were more diversity in age of the sailors out here, but we enjoy the adventure anyway.

Along the way we have written cruising guides for Central America, one for the Pacific Coast of Colombia and guides from other sailors.

We spent 10 years planning for our cruising adventure and saved every penny possible, never bought a new car, bought and sold a fixer house, and saved saved saved while our friends bought bigger houses, new cars and ate out a lot. It was at times depressing and difficult, but it has been worth it. It is definitely a struggle at times and you might be the only one in your age generation around, but it's part of the adventure.

Best of luck!!
Eric & Sherrell
Sarana at Sea - Stories Photos and More
Old 12-22-2011

turban10 is on a distinguished road
I am 34 years old and have been bit by the sailing bug about 4 years ago. I dream of owning a boat, but with two small children in daycare, and upside down on our mortgage, that dream is many years away. For now, I rent a sailboat out of Belmont harbor in Chicago

Still, the admiral promises that once the kids are out of daycare and we have moved into a bigger house, I can start looking. 2015 looks like the year when the planets may align and i get my wish. That will be the year that I can stop flushing money down the daycare hole and begin flushing it down the sailboat hole. :-)

Last edited by turban10; 12-22-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-26-2011

bigtexn is on a distinguished road
I'm 32 and the wife is 30. Looking for our first boat in the next 6 months. Were a little behind the curve with experience but we will catch up.
Old 01-03-2012

kjones is on a distinguished road
I'm 24 and bought my second boat (Pearson 26) this past fall and love it. Hope to explore the bay more this summer after some work on the boat this winter!
Old 01-05-2012

Controlled Jibe is on a distinguished road
I'm 29 and my fiance is 33. We have a Balboa 20 on Flathead Lake right now, but we're about to quit our jobs, buy a 29'-32' boat and move to the Sea of Cortez.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cruising until the money runs out or the golden retriever mutinies
Old 01-07-2012
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Hey man, cool to hear about another like myself. I like the lines on the Lees but here bad things about leaks with the teak toe rail. You planning any voyages next year? I am planning a Carribean circuit next year in the May time frame. Would always enjoy another boat for the cruise (I got the spot in the
Abacos-- Gotta love Grandparents =)
Hope your boats going well man. Im in Jacksonville, FL if you ever hit the area and want to hit some sailing and maybe even some clubs! Hahaha see! You old saltys can help me tighten my turnbuckles and cut out old portholes but I wouldn't take a one of you for a Friday night wingman! Sorry friends!
But I still loves ya all!

Hey man, Yea I'm actually planning on heading south in April or May headed for the Caribbean islands, my boat is coming right along, and By this time next year ill be kicking it on some remote island hopefully. Id love to meat up, were a rare breed, and Iv only meet a few cruisers my age, so for sure man, When I'm coming down Ill let ya know.
Old 01-10-2012

sep2x is on a distinguished road
My husband (29) and I (24) are living on our 32' sailboat. She is our second; we lived on our 27' Catalina for a while before (he a year, me a few months since I was away in college most of that time). We are the 2nd-youngest sailboat-live-aboards, and there are actually quite a few young sailors and liveaboards where we are here in Portland, ME. The only couple younger than us just moved onto their boat this fall, we helped them find their boat and they got a 27' Catalina (of course!). There are two other young couples with sailboats and two single guys, but no single ladies. There was one, but this year her beau moved aboard with her. Lucky man, her boat is beautiful!

As others have said, of course, there are plenty of older folks on both power and sail boats. And, we have been told that "our parent's boat is really nice," and "Don't worry, I won't tell your dad!" when we ran our Catalina aground a few years ago. We didn't purchase a house, instead used our limited funds to buy a boat and pay off school loans. Still working on the loans part!
Old 01-10-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
This thread is discriminatory, I'm telling the mods! C'mon, 30's and under is still young.

I'm 39, started sailing at 37. I started with a sturdy, but slow Coronado 25. I was bitten by the racing bug, so I upgraded to a Pearson 30.

It's really good to see these old boats getting new lives as sailboats for younger folks that want to break into sailing. People say that old boats prevent new boats from being built, due to their longevity, but I say that old boats make sailing accessible to people who don't make a huge salary.
1973 Pearson 30 #255