Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012
In Constant Motion

JeffBurright is on a distinguished road
Re: How many young people (say 35 or under)out there

Oh no doubt, no offense intended! Just collating data, as they say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road

I say this because even today I met another young cruising couple, and the girl thought I was crazy because we used an autopilot to sail for 7 days across the Carribean. "well you're not real sailors" she said, "we hand steered across the Atlantic."

I thought she was nuts, and she thought I was nuts. I told her we are cruisers not sailors.

She said "well you trust your life to a computer?" I replied "everyone does these days Sweetheart, ever been to a hospital?" Plus I added "well when the autopilot quits, we will steer, but until then I will read and watch out for boats, and sleep."

Anyways she thought I was crazy, i thought they were crazy. We were about the same age.

Oh and they had an auto pilot on their boat, I asked if it was a power issue she said it was a sailing issue. Her husband confirmed that it was a power issue. So it's not about age, it's about who you can relate to. In my opinion this girl was an idiot, but my age none the least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I have been single handling all over the Caribbean on my little sloop since I was 19. Made possible by self steering devices, be it wind vane, tiller mate, jib sheet to tiller, what ever. I have yet to meet a sailor who can hold a course better for extended periods of time. The more proficiant I became at useing self steering devices, the better sailor I became. I have hand steered many many miles on many deliveries, heaving to when I can't stand it any more. It suck's! I'm older than 35 now by a few years, but I used to be younger (grin)
Jgbrown likes this.
Old 07-16-2012

cd66312 is on a distinguished road

26 checking in. My dad bought a 15 ft dingy at a charity auction and proceeded to park it in my back yard. After it had sat for a year I got tired of looking at it and took it for a spin (sunk it our first time out, and learned about boat plugs).

This all started about a year ago. A month after we started taking his boat out I got a RK20 (similar to Balboa/Ensenada 20). And about a month ago I switched to a Balboa 8.2/27.

I have dreams of cruising, but like most kids my age, getting time off work is an issue.
Jgbrown likes this.
Old 07-16-2012
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road

My wife and I are aren't even 30 years old, living aboard with our newborn son and telling the world about it on our blog. Aboard Astraea | Invest in experiences, not things
Old 07-19-2012

tatiduds is on a distinguished road

Yeah where are all you youngins! We are sailors on our 46ft steel sloop cruising round SE Asia. I am 28 and my partner is 34, check out our blogsite at The Kingdom of Baikal
You young people out there get in touch!
Old 07-19-2012

pilotman is on a distinguished road

back half of my 20s. Been into powerboats since... forever. Owned a variety of my own powerboats since I was a teen.

A variety of factors forced me off the water for the past few years. If it was just me I would buy a cheapie center console and run the hell out of it. I could see that lasting for one trip for Mrs. Pilotman.

Been wanting to get back on the water, and started realizing the bang for the buck in sailboats. Something 25+ feet, ability to cruise/stay overnight. That leaves a handful of twin engine, maintenance hogging, gas guzzlers - or a small, simple, single engine and free fuel. Well now I'm starting to see what I'm missing out on!
Old 07-19-2012

RavenKing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to RavenKing

Well, I sneak in, I will be 35 shortly. I sailed some growing up. Got the bug bad again last year. Took some ASA classes earlier in the year. I bought a pearson triton about a month ago. I agree I am usually the youngest at the marina where the boat is kept. That being said most of the folks older than me there are way cooler than than some would suppose for their age. One of my faves is a 70ish yr old retired boston police detective. He has a saying for everything, and they are by and by hilarious and illuminating at the same time. Almost none of my friends are into sailing. Quite a few have smokers that cause them to pour money into the oil companies coffers every summer. They laugh at me because of how long it takes me to get somewhere for a meetup, I laugh at them when they break the bank filling up.
Old 07-20-2012

Supralicious is on a distinguished road

I'm 22, just bought a 15ft dinghy. I don't pretend to be familiar with the scene as I haven't even been out sailing yet but I the lack of forums and sailing resources online leave me thinking that it is definitely an older persons game at this point. That, and a lot of the websites you do find look like they were put up a decade ago using Microsoft Frontpage.

By way of comparison, I've frequented car forums for years and it's an absolutely thriving scene online. Just about every model of car you can think of has multiple online communities associated with it, locally and internationally. There might simply be more motor car enthusiasts than hobby-sailors but given how packed the waters get on a nice summers day, I find it a little bit hard to believe.

I think it can be attributed to the variety of recreational activities available to youth these days. The more options people have when it comes to spending their spare weekends, the less you'll have doing any one thing in particular. Blaming binge drinking or partying is nonsense. Don't try and tell me young people drinking like loons and making a nuisance of themselves is a recent phenomenon. I fear some people have short and selective memories.
Old 07-22-2012

Islander30Vagabond is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am 27 and so is my wife, we own a 30' Islander here in Naples, FL and are very involved in the local racing scene. We were in the market about 5years ago for a Tartan 37 that we were going to spend time cruising around the carribean on, but then she was accepted to law school and those plans have been put on hold.