Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009

gulfcoastcruiser is on a distinguished road
I am 34 and have a 1981 Hunter 27. I have been sailing since I was about 14. This is the biggest boat that I have owned yet, but I hope to eventually get something bigger that would enable me to do some extended cruising.

There is one other guy on my pier that is a couple years younger than me and everybody else is probably at least 10 to 30 years older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Well I'll throw this out there too incase their is any younger people on here in the Long Island Sound area that want to sail but don't own a boat yet...Anyone feel free to PM me and I'll take you sailing as I'm 24 and all my buddies are into fishing and power boats and a lot of times my gf can't go because of work so I'm left to single hand. Also as I said in an earlier post I mostly like to cruise on my boat but I think if I had a regular younger crew I would do the all the week night races so again I'll open it up to anyone out there...
Old 06-05-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I'm late 40's and my wife is mid 40's and like others, we are some of the younger folks around our marina. There appears to be a pretty good sized group of folks around our age, a few younger and the majority older.

Earlier in my career, I was in a postion where I regularly hired recent college graduates. What I found was that they generally started their working lives with significant debts. Paying off college loans and credit card debt usually leaves little for recreational pursuits for these young adults. By the time they've got a handle on their debt, they are usually starting a family and again hobbies are not high on their priority lists. From what I've seen, most youngsters today are not chosing other recreational pursuits, they just don't get to "recreate" until a good bit later in life. Those that set their priorites to allow them to follow a passion, generally have to give up a lot in order to do so, and you can't really fault those that choose to focus on other aspects of life before getting into sailing.
Old 06-05-2009

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
nk235 I like that, anyone younger people in the Houston area want to go sailing I would be more than willing to take you out on the bay (and maybe dinner for the ladies).
Old 06-05-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
I'm late 40's and my wife is mid 40's and like others, we are some of the younger folks around our marina. There appears to be a pretty good sized group of folks around our age, a few younger and the majority older.

Earlier in my career, I was in a postion where I regularly hired recent college graduates. What I found was that they generally started their working lives with significant debts. Paying off college loans and credit card debt usually leaves little for recreational pursuits for these young adults. By the time they've got a handle on their debt, they are usually starting a family and again hobbies are not high on their priority lists. From what I've seen, most youngsters today are not chosing other recreational pursuits, they just don't get to "recreate" until a good bit later in life. Those that set their priorites to allow them to follow a passion, generally have to give up a lot in order to do so, and you can't really fault those that choose to focus on other aspects of life before getting into sailing.
Respectfully, I would have to disagree with this as I am in that exact category you describe - at least from my perspective and from what I have seen up here in Eastern Long Island.

I don't think the working / paying off debt / having other priorities is what is stopping people from getting into sailing. A lot of my friends actually have power boats which cost more than a sailboat. Also I see plenty of people my age buying cars, flat screens, ipods, xboxs, jet skis, vacations and plenty of other toys that both take up considerable time and money. Yet I am the only one my age (24) that I know that has a sailboat or even likes to sail. Most people my age are just not exposed to it and therefore it is something they never even think about getting into let alone buying a boat. If they do love the water they are 10 times more likely to buy a jet ski or power boat for fishing as that is just what younger people do.

I myself graduated from college 4 years ago and instanly started my career no less than a week after graduation. Worked my ass off and was promoted through the ranks quicker than people twice my age to get into a very good position, all while paying off loans, having a gf and getting engaged (and that is like a job on its own ) and generally work related doing much more than any of my friends or people I graduated with...meanwhile I was still able to have a sailboat, maintain it myself and go sailing as often as I could.

So....what I am trying to say is I don't think it has anything to do with other priorities and younger people focusing on their careers but unfortunatly just that sailing is no longer a younger person's hobby. Again this is just from my own experience as well as what I see. Who knows maybe down south or out west 24 year olds are dying to have a sailboat but just don't have the time.
Old 06-05-2009

donoga is on a distinguished road
Early 30s setting off by September

I'm 34, hubby 33, and two mutts in tow about 3 1/2 years old. The bug bit us on a sunfish in Nantucket back in late 90s. Since, we have both taken lessons on boats ranging from J24s to Hunters and once bareboat on a 40' French boat (can't recall the builder), bought a 21' Aquarius daysailer and sailed her around the Long Island Sound. Are currently landlocked without a boat because we knew our location was temporary.

So excited to see so many responses to young sailors because we are cutting ties for who knows how long and will begin by cruising the U.S. east coast. Hope to see some of you out there! We can't wait to get our sea legs back and hopefully the mutts will adjust, too.

Good luck with your plan - just do it!
Old 06-05-2009

AKscooter is on a distinguished road
I am holding off buying a boat until this economy really crashes to the point where the average guy can afford to buy and maintain a boat without having the multi thousand dollar surprises. Yes, boats are an expense but not to the point that your entire income (like houses were) goes to support this system. Housing prices have come down and when the economy finally shrinks to a sane level then the ratios will be right for boating. But as Gordon Gecko says, "Greed is good". That is the mantra of this nation.
Old 06-05-2009
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie5961 View Post
I have to say though, I don't think that real age matters... I've found that I relate to alot of older people around marinas better than kids my own age, who can't see beyond their next case of beer.
Absolutely Moonie. I couldn't agree more, we were really worried about the age difference at our yacht club especially among cruisers(Wife and I are in our late twenties, everyone else is over 50).

Our worrying only lasted 5 minutes, until we started hanging out with some of these cruising folk and realised what a awesome group of people they actually were. Knowledgeable, generous and man they could still teach us kids a thing or two about partying

Like I said earlier in this thread, alot of them also had an attitude and approach to life that made them alot younger than some of 25 year olds I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
Long Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
Respectfully, I would have to disagree with this as I am in that exact category you describe - at least from my perspective and from what I have seen up here in Eastern Long Island.
I moved to Montauk from Annapolis for several years when I was 26 years old. I was a partner in a marina there. We only had one sailboat in our marina of 110 slips. All of the younger people were into fishing, powerboats, and excessive drinking. If you wanted to go sailing you either went to Sag Harbor or Block island. Boy was it nice to get back to the Chesapeake where sailors of all ages abound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat
Old 06-05-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
"Don't trust anyone over 30." How old does knowing that saying make me?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.