Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Doesn't Matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
"Don't trust anyone over 30." How old does knowing that saying make me?
You have to remember that the saying came about due to a clash in values between the culture of our parents and our counterculture. You need to adjust the saying for the intervening years:

"Don't trust anyone over 75!"

DaCAP
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post

I don't make a bunch of money and sailing takes a lot of it, but its worth it to me. Everytime I set sail, I feel like the richest guy on earth.
Well said, and exactly the right attitude, I think. Besides, a 52-inch plasma screen is almost a whole new mainsail....
Old 06-06-2009

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
My wife and I are both 31, and we're already on boat #2. We bought a couple-year-old Catalina 350, which was quite an expense, but we realized that it's enough boat that we won't be wanting to trade-up anytime soon. All my friends think we're nuts. The friends that we've invited to go sailing love it, but no one's really "taken the plunge" yet. I've never had anyone ask me where my parents are, but I've certainly seen "that look" that says it.

We just had our firsts child; sailing just got a LOT more complicated.
Old 06-06-2009

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
29 now and have been sailing all my life. Owned a Pearson 30 with a buddy of mine from '02-'05. Before that I helped fix up a Balboa 20, and that was the first boat I sailed alone. And there's still nothing like getting out on a Hobie Cat and flying a hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 06-06-2009
Ornery Cuss

riphonda is on a distinguished road
where'd all the good people go?

Interesting consideration that us young guys and gals are increasingly few and far between in the sailing world...

Sailing has been a way of life in my family and though I took a hiatus to powerboat and try to commercial/charter fish for a bit Im really finally seeing what it means to be free on the wind again. Just turned 27 and bought a 28' sabre that ive been rebuilding. The racing was never my thing though I spent considerable time in optis and lasers etc I just enjoy the leasure time spent on the water. Cruising/ gunkholing is great. Thats what its all about for me, the boat is a place where I gain a better perspective on the world and see life from a simpler side. For some reason I cant get into the gaming, xboxing and the like nor do i get into the you(tube)-twit(ter)-face(book) sites. Is it me or are people more comfortable in these electronic social worlds? Not for me. Id rather be up slicing and dicing apart a bulkhead and dreaming of the wild blue yonder. Located on Cape Cod. Boat is yet to be named.

Good to hear from everyone. Keep this thread goin'.
"
Old 06-06-2009

Donnie631 is on a distinguished road
I am will be 30 in about 2 weeks my wife and i just bought our first boat we want to get the kids out (3,4,7,) away from the TV and DS for a while. We are looking foward to being out for the first time in a long time I did some saling while I was overseas in the military and loved it but still have alot to learn will be in MD and VA over the summer.
Old 06-06-2009

Simon123 is on a distinguished road
I'm 31 and keep an Ensenada 20 on the lake nearest me here in Dallas. I'm definitely the youngest non-racer that I know but there is a surprisingly high number of people my age at any race I've crewed. Crew as well mostly, not as often the boat owners but that's to be expected. I don't care if you never buy a single electronic gadget or case of beer, maintaining a competitive racer in the 40 foot range is a stretch for those of us getting started in our earning power.
Old 06-06-2009

SailorSaturn is on a distinguished road
Im still in my 30s, if Ronald Ragan is still president
Old 06-06-2009
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Just celebrated the 9th anniversary of my 21st birthday. On my second boat, been boating and living aboard full time for 8 years. Lovin' it!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-06-2009
55,000nm 2X South Pacific

davebkanelavie is on a distinguished road
I started cruising full time when I was 34 back in August of 2005. And yeah, it's definitely hard to meet other younger people especially if you get off the beaten path. When I sailed across the South Pacific in 2006-2008 there were two other couples that year in their 30's and two different single handed guys in their 20's. Not to say I don't like hanging out with all the other cruisers because I do, but it's a rare and special treat to hang with people your age. I've had tons of awesome crew and met my wife to be in New Zealand. I'm on my third boat since I began the journey after slowly figuring out what works for how and where I like to sail.
I'd say go now and worry about retirement later.