Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009

IslandGirlLee is on a distinguished road
We are 27 (Becky - older and wiser, ha ha guess who wrote this!) & 25 (Ryan) and planning a trip down to Mexico and across to the South Pacific (to start with, anyway!).

We have often wondered how many young (ish) people we'll meet along the way.

We have friends of all ages at the minute and enjoy the company of other people regardless of age but it will definately be great to meet up with some more people of our generation.

"Young" is definatley a state of mind though!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2009
55,000nm 2X South Pacific

davebkanelavie is on a distinguished road
We have some friends in their 60's who have been cruising for 30 years non-stop. They are definitley our idols and what we aspire to be doing when we are that age. "Young" is a state of mind AND cool people are cool people regardless of their age.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Hey I have been sailing for 35 years! That's a bundle of miles under the keel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-07-2009

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
I just turned 33 in May and left on an open ended cruise this past January. In the time I have been out here I have only met two boats owned and crewed by people younger than myself. One had a 26 year old guy and the other was three young sailors around 19 & 20. Overall, in the cruising fleet, I am still considered a baby out here.

Another thing I've noticed is that the older cruisers are very quick to welcome me in and despite an age difference that is no lack of camaraderie. Everyone has been exceptionally respectful and especially as a singlehander I think I get more than my fair share of meals aboard other boats.

One other interesting thing I've found is that while I still associate closely with the cruising crowd, most of the good friends I've made since I left have been with the backpackers who are on similar trips, but chose instead to stuff their worldly processions into backpacks instead of boats. Many just never even considered sailing. In several places now I've found the local hostels and wandered in for a drink and quickly made friends.

Just an idea if you decide you do want to stay up past 9:00 p.m.

Old 06-07-2009

saltydawg is on a distinguished road
I just turned 36 so I missed the cut off

But we moved aboard 11 years ago when I was 25 and cruised when I was 27 & 28. Now my husband and I have a 4 year old son. So he's the kid onboard.

I wrote an article for SAIL Magazine called "The Under 30 Cruising Club", about what it was like cruising in your 20's (compared to the majority 45+ out there)
it was in the December 2007 issue (ironically published well after I turned 30)

Old 06-07-2009

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
LWinters thats something like I have planed in the next couple of years. At the end of the summer I'm moving on board my boat Gypsy. I will live on the Gulf for another year just working and pouring every cent in to my sailing kitty so I can leave after hurrcane season for an open ended journey for as long as I can, stoping and working as need be. I do refrigeration so I figure I can find work in the US areas of the carribean. I would like to hear more about your story and how your doing it. mat-bag@hotmail.com
Im currently reading through you Log.
Old 06-07-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I am 21, and own and live on my 24' Islander Bahama by the name of Gusto. I thought it was a little butch for a ladies name, but you never change a ship's name! I was also a sneakaboard on a 22' Balboa during the worst winter in ten years. It was epic.

I also own a kayak, a dinghy, and a chunk of foam that is used as a tender. All of these at the cost of zero dollars! Hooray!
Old 06-08-2009
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
Hello!

I am 27 and just purchased my first vessel, a 1975 Downeaster 38. I plan on long term cruising once the kitty is saved and the boat is refitted. Been getting into sailing the past 3 years or so, but has been a lifelong dream.
Old 06-08-2009

Coreyboy18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I am 21, and own and live on my 24' Islander Bahama by the name of Gusto. I thought it was a little butch for a ladies name, but you never change a ship's name! I was also a sneakaboard on a 22' Balboa during the worst winter in ten years. It was epic.

I also own a kayak, a dinghy, and a chunk of foam that is used as a tender. All of these at the cost of zero dollars! Hooray!
That's awesome! I would love to be in your shoes. I thought about moving onto my Ranger 23, but with a dog and two cats, it would be impossible for them to be comfortable. The cats could make do, but my dog would go stir crazy. Anyway, good for you, I'm envious. How long have you lived aboard?

Lake Pontchartrain and beyond (hopefully)
1978 Ranger 23
Old 06-08-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
32 years old

I turned 32 this year and this is my second full season with my J/28. My priorities certainly have shifted since I was in my 20s.

As a single person, I can dedicate the time, effort and $$$ required to make a boat purchase viable. But, I had to really commit to cutting down non-sailing discretionary expenses, trade down in car "class", etc.

I am, by far, the youngest person in my marina; although I did not grow up sailing regularly, I often got to accompany my Dad when he chartered on the Chesapeake in the 80s.

My perspective on the <35 crowd as boat owners is threefold:

1. The cost of entry, upkeep, maintenance and berthing can be overwhelming.
2. They have never experienced sailing, or been invited. Most non-sailors I've brought aboard have been a little intimidated about the complexity of my boat.
3. There are many competing priorities in a younger family for time. How many of you have boats at your marina that go unused for 2-3 weeks at a time....this is a potentially expensive hobby.
4. Bonus: some 30 somethings still spend 5-6 nts / wk in a bar and can't afford their car payment, let alone a boat payment.

Jason