Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009

davester is on a distinguished road
I'm 32 and co-own a jeanneau 32' with my dad (though I got into sailing first). I envy those on open-ended or extended cruises, and hope to be taking an extended cruise in the next few years.
Old 06-08-2009

paulberto is on a distinguished road
I'm 27 and have a Ericson 30+. Sailing the SW Caribbean with my pal. Heading to San Blas and Cartagena from Panama in the next few days.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2009
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
37 here.. I wish I had caught the sailing bug younger. One more thing you might add to the equation is vacation time-- Since the boomer generation is probably the last one to have the luxury of a lifetime career (nowadays jobs change much more frequently) the 5 week vacation will be a thing of the past. Few will hold onto jobs long enough to accrue that much vacay. This means shorter trips for the average working stiff, and more weekending, at least until retirement comes along.. probably the reason most younger folks are into fishing and power boating--they can get to where they want quickly. They probably don't realize that with sailing, it's not so much the destination, but the journey.
Old 06-08-2009

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Me, just made it under the wire at 35.
Old 06-08-2009

Ippa2 is on a distinguished road
Just turned 31

I'm 31. Grew up on Buzzards Bay in powerboats, but have had the sailing bug since 2000 and have had a subscription to Cruising World for the past 3 years. I got the bug by teaching and sailing on Sunfish. I currently co-own a 23' O'day and own a 14' Tanzer. The kicker is I also own a 27' powerboat, a cruiser set up with aft cabin, microwave etc. We enjoy spending weekends on it in Buzzards Bay and the Vineyard. I'd like to trade in the powerboat for a 30-34' sloop, maybe an older 34' Tartan or a 34 Pearson, Sabre... (the list goes on) but so far the wife is not onboard with the switch to sailing. I'll keep trying though... I find that when sailing you are just so much more in touch with the sea than planing over it at 20 knots.

Keep up the great posts! I love hearing about other younger sailors.
Old 06-08-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Got two more!

Speaking of younger sailors and how we need more I think I just converted two!!

This weekend I took one of my good friends out along with his new girlfriend and my girlfriend for a weekend sail and night spent out on the boat. We are all 24 years old. His girlfriend who he is getting pretty serious with has never been sailing.

We had a nice 2 hour powersail from Mt. Sinai to Smithtown enjoying some cool brews and blasting some good old Jimmy buffet under a gorgeous sunny day. The girls lounged out on the bow just about the whole time till we got to the channel to Stony Brook Harbor. I let my buddy's girl friend steer the boat in while him and I took down the Main and put the sail cover on. She then helped him get the lines and fenders ready. We clipped onto a mooring in the back of Stony Brook Harbor (which is very pretty) and went for a cool dip in the water. Afterwards we fired up the grill and bbq'ed some hot sausages along with some watermelon that was marinaded in vodka!

After some more relaxing we actually took the dink out at low tide and raked in about 60-70 clams which we then put back on the grill later that night along with some garlic and butter and ate under the lantern in the cockpit. Overall we had an awesome day and night and then another great trip back to Mt. Sinai the next day.

So...long story short, my buddy called me today and kept going on and on about how much his girlfriend loved sailing and just being on the boat and how it could be something she could see really getting into. He has been considering getting a boat for the past year and says he now might get a sailboat! So hopefully we can add 2 more for the younger ones out there!

Here are some pics of the trip:

Ladies posing on the bow
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

My good friend Rich
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Rich, and the girls
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Vodka soaked Watermelon!
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Christa enjoying the shade
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Dingy Fun
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Gorgeous Night
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

What happens when you run out of sunscreen!
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 06-08-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Nice photos NK. I am very jealous, we are just starting to hit winter over here.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2009
Lost on the water...

wright1d is on a distinguished road
We are 34 & 35 and just finally purchased a Allmond 31. We are currently in the process of bringing it though the Erie Canal this week to keep it near Detroit on Lake Erie. We really have no sailing experience but have been wanting one for a long time so we took the plunge. We are clearly the youngest with a sailboat at our marina from what I can see.

Since we have 2 young kids age 1 & 4 we plan to mainly use it for weekend overnights. We have been living aboard for the last 9 days now with our 4yr old as we have been making the trip from NJ to MI and its been a great experience!

Last edited by wright1d; 06-09-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2009

redstripesailor is on a distinguished road
I'm 26 and I've got a Pearson Triton. She's totally restored and ready to rock. No engine though, I like to sail, not motor. I don't get to take her out as much as I would like as I drive boats for a living and am often gone. As for sailing, I've been into it since I was 10 and I started working on schooners at 14.

It's tough turning kids onto sailing. As an instructor at Outward Bound's Hurricane Island Sailing School in Maine I had the opportunity to properly introduce many kids to the world of sailing. Few, if any, took to it after their course was completed. I don't know what it is, these kids aren't that much younger than I am yet sailing had little to no allure to them. It's almost as though it's not fast paced or glamorous enough. A great deal of sailing is finding pleasure in doing things the hard way instead of the easy way. Beating to windward, for example, as opposed to motoring. That has no appeal to most people my age. They don't seem to care about adventure, only convenience.

A buddy of mine is on the offshore racing team at Maine Maritime. His school buddies, all of whom should appreciate all boats to a certain extent as they are going to school to learn to drive them, make fun of him for being interested in sailing. I don't get it.
Old 06-10-2009

merryprankster is on a distinguished road
27 here...getting ready to take the plunge. Searching for a boat...have my eye on a Allied Princess II. My Dad and I are just going to take off and go where the wind takes us.