Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009

JustinC25 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JustinC25
I just turned 27 last month and bought my first boat, a Catalina 25 a few years ago. I'm the "young one" at my marina. I also find it rare to come across other people of my generation into sailing. Most people are very surprised when they find out I sail, let alone even owning my own sailboat. Most people have the misconception that you have to be rich in order to have a sailboat. They think it is so out of reach, but really it isn't. When I bought my sailboat the year after graduating college, I just had different priorities than most of my peers. A lot of my friends' primary activities outside of work were partying, going out to bars, racking up huge bar tabs. Donít get me wrong, I like meeting up for a good beer or two, but I was more interested in pursuing a childhood dream of mine. If they thought about what they could do with the hundreds of dollars per month they spent on drinking and other activities I cut, they could also own a sailboat or pursue an interest.

I figured the boat would be a great social tool as well, being able to bring friends out for something to do other than drinking at bars. As it has turned out, most of my non-sailing friends enjoy sailing, but it isn't their passion and they don't make it out often. Most donít understand the lure of sailing, and thatís fine, itís not for everyone. I've made some great friends in the sailing community of all ages which I really enjoy. I also agree with other comments that it seems younger generations are more attracted to the speed of powerboats and not our slow, challenging (fun) sailboats, and many also are too interested in video games, buying newer, fancier cars, watching TV, etc. One of the worst excuses a friend gave me instead of coming out sailing was that he had some scheduled meeting in his WOW (online World of Warcraft pc game) for an entire Saturday. So, instead of going outside on a beautiful day, he wanted to go kill some virtual monsters with his online friends all day in front of a computerÖ not my thing at all. That was a few years ago and fortunately heís gotten over that addiction.

My girlfriend had never sailed before she met me; she is really enjoying it and learning a lot. She wants to eventually be able handle the boat by herself, so sheís on her way to becoming an excellent first mate. Someday I want to upgrade to a 30í sailboat. The standing headroom, more living and storage space, and extra amenities will be nice for my weekends I live out on the boat. Not sure when it will happen, but Iím sure I will eventually. Another future plan is to sail down the east coast and cross the Gulf Stream over to the Bahamas and if there is time, go even further. I already did a delivery down the east coast a couple years ago, but next time I want to take my time and really enjoy the trip.

Here is my 1982 C-25
Old 06-11-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Awesome Justin, and thats a sweet looking boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2009

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to say thanks for all the younger sailors thats posted to let me know that I'm not looking at going alone in my adventure. Also to say thanks to everyone else thats droped aline of goodwill what ever the age. And lets keep this thread going if theres more younger sailors out there.
Matt
s/v Gypsy
Old 06-11-2009

NickPapagiorgio is on a distinguished road
I'm 31 and my girlfriend just turned 32... we don't own a boat (yet) but we do charter quite a bit. The first time we went out was in July of 2005... we took a friend of mine from college (26 at the time) and his wife. They fell in love with it and have been back every time we charter. We also took another couple a few times who are the same age as us. I agree that there aren't too many young people sailing these days. We were always the youngest boat in the marina.

Anyway, if anyone wants some youthful company on their sailboat in the northern Chesapeake Bay, I'd be more than happy to oblige.
Old 06-11-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC25 View Post
I just turned 27 last month and bought my first boat, a Catalina 25 a few years ago. I'm the "young one" at my marina. I also find it rare to come across other people of my generation into sailing. Most people are very surprised when they find out I sail, let alone even owning my own sailboat. Most people have the misconception that you have to be rich in order to have a sailboat. They think it is so out of reach, but really it isn't. When I bought my sailboat the year after graduating college, I just had different priorities than most of my peers. A lot of my friends' primary activities outside of work were partying, going out to bars, racking up huge bar tabs. Donít get me wrong, I like meeting up for a good beer or two, but I was more interested in pursuing a childhood dream of mine. If they thought about what they could do with the hundreds of dollars per month they spent on drinking and other activities I cut, they could also own a sailboat or pursue an interest.

I figured the boat would be a great social tool as well, being able to bring friends out for something to do other than drinking at bars. As it has turned out, most of my non-sailing friends enjoy sailing, but it isn't their passion and they don't make it out often. Most donít understand the lure of sailing, and thatís fine, itís not for everyone. I've made some great friends in the sailing community of all ages which I really enjoy. I also agree with other comments that it seems younger generations are more attracted to the speed of powerboats and not our slow, challenging (fun) sailboats, and many also are too interested in video games, buying newer, fancier cars, watching TV, etc. One of the worst excuses a friend gave me instead of coming out sailing was that he had some scheduled meeting in his WOW (online World of Warcraft pc game) for an entire Saturday. So, instead of going outside on a beautiful day, he wanted to go kill some virtual monsters with his online friends all day in front of a computerÖ not my thing at all. That was a few years ago and fortunately heís gotten over that addiction.

My girlfriend had never sailed before she met me; she is really enjoying it and learning a lot. She wants to eventually be able handle the boat by herself, so sheís on her way to becoming an excellent first mate. Someday I want to upgrade to a 30í sailboat. The standing headroom, more living and storage space, and extra amenities will be nice for my weekends I live out on the boat. Not sure when it will happen, but Iím sure I will eventually. Another future plan is to sail down the east coast and cross the Gulf Stream over to the Bahamas and if there is time, go even further. I already did a delivery down the east coast a couple years ago, but next time I want to take my time and really enjoy the trip.

Here is my 1982 C-25
Nice boat Justin! I love the blue hull. I feel exactly like you do in terms of the rest of my friends and owning and a boat and everything else you wrote in there. I almost felt like I could have been writing the same exact thing for myself. I also had a 25 footer I bought when I was 21 and just after 1 year of owning it I moved up to my 32' Morgan which I love for the standing headroom, amenities, etc, etc. I also plan on taking the trip down the east coast and into the bahamas. To tell you the truth I was actually so close to quiting my job and doing it at the end of last summer but held off. Hopefully I can make it in the next year or two. Too bad you weren't up in the LI Sound. We could cruise together. My gf and I would love to meet a younger couple that owns a sailboat as all our friends are power boaters!
Old 06-11-2009
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
I'm 33 and have a Catalina 27 in the Northern Chesapeake. I am definitely the youngest at my marina. My dad crews with me frequently, and people usually assume it is his boat. I also race around the cans on Wed. nights. There are two other guys in the race fleet that are my age (they crew on other boats), but all the other guys who are probably twice my age are great to sail and hang with.

It's true that very few of my friends have boats, but some do, although they are powerboats. The funny thing is, every friend my age I take out loves the experience, even those who expect not to like it.
Old 06-11-2009
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
38 years old

Awesome thread! I always wondered how old you guys were.

I'm 38 and my wife is turning 40 this July. We our outfitting out boat and leaving for the tropics within 5 years. I can't wait to toss my Blackberry in the sea along with the everyday crap. Tired of our long winters and only being able to sail for 4 months. I just wish I would have started sailing at a younger age like some of the younger bucks here. My advise to the youngens is leave now before the corporate world swallows you whole.
Old 06-11-2009
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
26 and bought my first sailboat last August (first time sailing was on my own boat), a 1998 Hunter 240. I wanted to get my feet wet in a boat I knew wouldn't break me financially. Now I want to move up to a 30-34' and leave with the wife for a life down south, but I'm not yet salty enough to take on that challenge. I figure I will get the larger boat next spring and leave the following year. Hopefully I have gained enough skill by then to not kill the two of us!
Old 06-11-2009
Hunter 33.1

NolaSafari is on a distinguished road

I am 59 but started out young. I also own a Airstream Trailer and I am a baby in that group. Heck the real fun is enjoying sailing as you age the alternative really sucks.
Old 06-11-2009

AaronOnTheHudson is on a distinguished road
I am 30... got my first sailboat for my birthday, and sailed it from Boston to NYC. I fell in love with sailing during high school, but haven't sailed much between then an now. I am definitely the youngest person at my marina. However, I love hanging out with the older folks (i.e. not the young self-centered NYC types).
2005 Catalina 250 WK #847