SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mac Dinghy

22K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  Tom Dickson 
#1 ·
My first boat was a Mac Dinghy. I was looking for one and did find one. I am trying to put it back together it is mostly there. If anyone has any information about these boats or had one I would it would be greatly appreciated. The daggerboard isnt right and I am not sure the rudder right.

#2 ·
Hi,
I am really new to sailing and found your post online. I bought an old Mac Dinghy last year and have been learning to sail. Last week the weather was rougher than normal and the old wooden rudder literally disintegrated. :mad: Do you know if it is possible to buy another rudder for these old boats?
Thanks in advance for your response!

#6 ·
I bought a Mac Dinghy in august as my first sailboat. It has Penn sticker from 1969 but it seems brand new. If you need pictures or measurements of the rudder or daggerboard let me know. I haven't found any info regarding the Mac Dinghy and am curious as to it manufacturer and history.

#7 ·
The Mac dinghy was also my first boat many years ago. I stumbled across my boat years later. It kind of brings back memories when I first started to sail. I would like to put it back together. The dagger board inst right and the rudder also doesn't seem to be the way I remember it. Any help you can offer would be great, I do have a little info about the boat.

Nick

#10 ·
I still have my Mac Dinghy. I bought it new in 1970 in the Pittsburgh area. Cost $600 plus shippiing! Was a lot of money for a 14 year old. It is still very seaworthy. Have used the same sails since 1971 (original ones were defective). My original sail number was 2312, now 2358.

The daggerboard is just a piece of plywood. The pictures above look like bonafide original equipment.

I've actually had this boat planing at times, although it is not really a planing hull. We used to race them on Lake Arthur, north of Pittsburgh. In the 70s, there was quite a happy following of these boats. Some even flew spinnakers!

They were originally designed and produced by the McClintock Sail Loft in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. They were made in Dubdam, Holland.

#25 ·
Mac Jib 8' 7" x 4' 3" x 7' 10.5"
Intensity sails has a Pico sailboat jib for 80$ that is only missing a couple sq/ft where the foot is angled up more. I like it because it helps to see under it.

Mac Mainsail 11' x 6'6" x 12'7"
I emailed Intensity sails about their RAD 420 main for 200$ I hope/think that a "Reduced Area Design" for the 420 sailboat will be close in size! I'll know when they let me know the length of the luff and foot.

Less than 300$ for replacement sails for a Mac dinghy can't be beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.