How do Sailing Grounds compare Tampa/St. Pete vs. Miami/FLL vs. Charleston Area? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009

TarHeel is on a distinguished road
How do Sailing Grounds compare Tampa/St. Pete vs. Miami/FLL vs. Charleston Area?

I live in Atlanta and am considering purchasing a cruising boat (in 40-50 ft range). I could base it in either Tampa/ St. Pete or Miami or Charleston, SC. All seem to have big differences in feel, sailing conditions, cruising destinations, sailing support infrastructure, etc. Any opinions on best place to base a boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Tampa St. Pete is best for LOCAL sailing and plenty of interesting places to go. Draft is an issue so the right boat is necessary in your size range. Lots of good sailing support places.

Miami is poor for local sailing....but both the Keys and the Bahamas are great destinations for vacations. Excellent sailing support facilities in Mia & Ft. Lauderdale.

Charleston as a sailing venue has very little to recommend it other than being a truly great PLACE.

I'm sure others will kick in...but those are my opinions. You're already in the best place for local cruising between the outerbanks and the Chessie!

A lot depends on the time you will have. I'd go Florida East coast if I had the time to enjoy the Bahamas and Keys...otherwise Tampa.
Old 06-05-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I really liked Biscayne Bay in Miami. Great for a day sail, and you can always go anchor behind Jennifer Lopez's Home just to say you were there . Yes, the Bahamas, and the beautiful string of pearls called the Keys are great to explore, and right there.

I have never sailed the other places, but look at a chart of Biscayne, and earth google it. Tons of anchorages, and on the weekend hundreds of the beautiful people come out to expose themselves to the sunshine with very little to cover themselves. WELL, at least half are beautiful, and half of them are women ..............i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook