Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Re: Float Homes in British Columbia Bays

Although this topic, fell off topic, the o/p brings up a very personal issue with me and my wife.
Our family sold 209 hectars of a B.C. gulf island back to the province in 2004 It was sold with the understanding that it would become part of the British Columbia Marine Park Society Landtrust.
It did, and today is part of that network of marine parks that we all enjoy as we all cruise the pristine BC Gulf islands.
It would be a very sad, sad day, to see someone "set up camp" so to speak in one of the bays of that park, or any park for that matter.
Faster and PaulinVictoria like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road

Speaking from personal experience, I wouldn't be able to afford owning my sailboat if I had to keep it in a marine, so being able to keep it moored in a bay on Vancouver Island makes sailing possible for me. If they start regulating these float homes it would most likely stretch to affect us who are moored. From their its not that big of a step before we start getting charged to anchor while out cruising as well, which would severely limit the ability for some of us to enjoy our passion for being on the water.
Old 03-17-2012
Re-Cycled Salt

Location: 8 months/year Barkley Sound, BC - 4 months/year cruise
seamountie is on a distinguished road

To legally set up a float home in any of the coastal waters of BC, you have to get a lease from the Ministry of Lands. That lease allows you to shore tie and set up seafloor anchors. Seperate permits are required (theoretically) if you want to take your fresh water from a river/stream/spring on shore, and another permit if you want to use said river/stream/spring to make electricity.

A residential lease costs $500 per year (last I checked) and to get one can be a giant pain as all offical stakeholders (the government term) are asked for input. This would certainly include the Parks section of the ministtry, and may also include the local First Nations band if the area is some that has been claimed as traditional, and is in dispute.

The BC Government is quite good at enforcing the lease and will force squatters off - even sending in tow boats to remove said building float at the owners expense, seizing said floathome and can auction it off.

If you have a concern about a specific float home, get the exact location and then inquire/complain to the Ministry of Lands. They are the people who can actually do something about illegal residences in our bays.

Note, though, that there are also quite a number of commercial water leases around, and many of those leases allow buildings/houses to be on them. They are also through BC Lands.

And in BC, just because you have water front property does not mean you can have even a dock....ya gotta get a water lease.

Richard
living aboard S/V Gandalf III in those BC Bays
jrd22, Bilgewater and Agri like this.
Old 03-17-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Other than anchored boats, I have seen very few flat homes in BC bays and I cruise here `11 months a year. I don't think there is a problem ,except for the envy of those who are less resourceful, and wish too impose their chosen "consumer" lifestyle misery on others, to make things more " Fair".
God help us if we ever let childish envy be our policy guide.
There are no float homes in any BC parks and there never will be.. As for other BC anchorages , if it is not in your way , in a big way, it is none of your business.
Agri and Bob142 like this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 03-19-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

There are year round live-a-boards in BC Marine Parks. Some of which have been anchored in Mark Bay off of Newcastle Island in Nanaimo for as long as I can remember. Newcastle Island is one of the largest BC Marine Parks on the East Coast of Vancouver Island.
Some of these boats are abandoned, some have people living on them. Most have been there for years, with years of growth on there anchor lines that atests to the length of time that they have been there.
There are similar situations but I chose this park because it can easily be seen from downtown Nanaimo. It's obvious what is going on over there but nothing is done about it.
Take this same situation and place it in a quiet bay, out of the site of the GP and you have a serious problem.
Maybe Brent can explain to us the difference between a floating home and a boat that one lives on. They are usually both an eyesore and are equally capable of creating an environmental mess.
Old 03-18-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
Some of these boats are abandoned, some have people living on them.... They are usually both an eyesore and are equally capable of creating an environmental mess.
How do you determine if a vessel is abandoned? I haven't been aboard the Folly since last August and probably wont get back to her until late this summer as I'm working out of province. I do have someone checking on her every once and a while and after all the big blows, but it would be very easy for someone to label her abandoned, as I'm not there every weekend checking on her as some of those with boats moored near me are. And she's not the prettiest boat in the bay... yet(yes I know she's a CAL 25 but a guy can dream can't he?).

You may look at her and see eyesore, but I look at her and see adventure.
It all depends on the eye of the beholder. My friends and I have great fun exploring the M.V. Dominion in Cowichan Bay at night, when she goes it will be a sad day, in my book at least.

As for the potential for an environmental mess, how many coastal municipalities dump their sewage in the ocean? If all these eyesores were to sink en-mass I think the damage would be far less.
Old 03-19-2012

There are no boats anchored within park boundaries at Newcastle Island, as the entire park water lease is filled with mooring buoys, at $12 a night, on which your insurance expires any time the wind blows over 30 knots. Any boats you see there are outside park boundaries.
I think the problem is, when someone buys into the misconception that the more money you have, the happier you will be, sees their entire self delusion shattered, by seeing people living much happier lives, without their personal belief in money as the answer to all happiness, they would rather have government preserve the illusion, and destroy any clear evidence to the contrary, than have the basic beliefs they have based their entire lives on , be made such a mockery of, and so clearly proven dead wrong.. Every time they look out there , on their way to a job they hate, to settle mindless debt, it clearly demonstrates the folly and naivety of their values. They would rather hide the evidence than change their values. That would be admitting they may be wrong. Can't have that! When people are allowed to reduce the relevance of money in their lives, it disempowers money, and the power of those who have it.
That is their real problem.
The solution? Don't envy, emulate!
As Arthur Black so eloquently pointed out, envy is an admission that you have made a total screwup of your life. People who are content with their own lives, don't envy anyone with a good thing going. They simply say" More power to you. " Only the discontented envy.
So where is the logic in letting those who have made a total screwup of their own lives, tell the rest of us how to live ours?
The high rises and condo's they live in? Now there's an eyesore!
jimjazzdad, Agri and Bob142 like this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 03-19-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
There are no boats anchored within park boundaries at Newcastle Island, as the entire park water lease is filled with mooring buoys, at $12 a night, on which your insurance expires any time the wind blows over 30 knots. Any boats you see there are outside park boundaries.I think the problem is, when someone buys the misconception that the more money you have the happier you will be, sees their entire self delusion shattered by seeing people living much happier lives, without their personal belief in money as the answer to all happiness, they would rather have government preserve the illusion , than have the basic beliefs they have based their entire lives on , be made such a mockery of. When people are allowed to reduce the relevance of money in their lives, it disempowers money and the power of those who have it.
Actually, the problem is that many times when people buy waterfront property, they think they have the right to control anything and everything that falls within the view from their property.
Agri and Brent Swain like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-19-2012

Jay2 is on a distinguished road

I am indifferent only due to a lack of knowledge but my first thought upon reading the opening only, was that with the homes they get year round revenue, not just when a cruiser decides to go there for a night or two, or not.

My disclaimer is I am a complete outsider with zero knowledge.
Old 03-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Actually, the problem is that many times when people buy waterfront property, they think they have the right to control anything and everything that falls within the view from their property.
Kinda like buying a house in the middle of the block , then putting up a toll gate at each end of the block, for those who want to drive on, or use the road or sidewalk in front of your home (your road and sidewalk)?
How would that fly?