Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2002

flyfisher is on a distinguished road
Safety of Edel Cat 35 as a blue water cruiser?

I''ve read the opinion of the publisher of latitude 38 that one should not do blue water cruising in any catamaran less than 40'' OAL. On the other hand at least one Prout 33 (Alec Mayne family) has circumnavigated. We''ve also read the pursuasive arguments of the Pardey''s concerning the "savings" of smaller boats.

Currently, of the smaller used catamarans on the market the Edel Cat 35 seems most available. Does any know the boat well enough to comment on its qualifications as a blue water boat? Diesel option vs. gas auxilary? etc.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2002

windship2 is on a distinguished road
Safety of Edel Cat 35 as a blue water cruiser?

flyfisher,
I know somone wiyh a Edel Cat thirty-five. It''s on ok boat but as far as an open ocean boat?..I would not.It''s just not built for that.

Dennis

P.S. And I don''t agree with that forty foot opinion. The smallest boat to cross the Atlantic was under six feet.
Old 04-20-2007

casperholst is on a distinguished road
is there anyone out there who has deep water experience with the edel 35 cat. These boats seem suitable but it would be great to have some first hand experience. I am presently bidding on an edel 35.
many thanks for any information.
casper
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Casper-

Good luck on the bidding... While I haven't had direct experience with the Edel cat, I have sailed on quite a number of catamarans and trimarans.

A couple of things about multihulls, you need to reef for the gusts, unlike a monohull, where you tend to reef for the average wind speeds and let the boat handle the gusts. You're much better reefing earlier than you would on a monohull, as the extreme stability of a catamaran puts much more strain on the rigging than a comparable size monohull could.

Watch the netting, it can fail pretty dangerously. If you have any doubts about its integrity or age, replace it.

Two books you may want to pick up if you haven't already. "Multihull Voyaging" by Thomas Firth Jones and "The Cruising Multihull" by Chris White.

I'd also take the opinions of people not familiar with multihulls about their seaworthiness with a grain of salt. A monohull often has to be built much heavier in construction, due to the inertia the amount of ballast it has gives it. A multihull, not having a heavy metal keel, often can be built lighter without sacrificing safety. Where monohulls tend to have to bash through the waves, multihulls tend to float on top of them. A multihull's light mass is often its best defense, as it will tend to move—instead of resisting a wave and getting crushed.

Things to watch out for on the Edel 35:

It has a partially cored hull IIRC, and you need to make sure that water hasn't gotten in and caused any delamination. I don't believe the core in the hull will rot as I believe it is PVC-based foam.

The cross beams that connect the hulls to the bridgedeck are aluminum.

Corrosion is going to be a problem at the fasteners, since I believe the fasteners are stainless steel. I personally prefer cats that have the hull molded as a single piece... but that's just me.

The forestay connects to crossbeam that is also supported by a "dolphin striker" and that needs to be in good shape, otherwise the forestay support can fail.

Rudder shafts on this boat were aluminum originally. I believe the bearings were bronze... this is a galvanic corrosion problem in many cases, and should be checked closely.

I believe the deck is also cored, and needs to be checked for any signs of water intrusion or delamination.

Also, I believe the cabin soles are fiberglass and plywood, so you may want to check the sole for any water intrusion that may have rotted the plywood. I don't believe the plywood was fully encapsulated in fiberglass on these boats.

From what I know of the Edels, they were pretty decent boats with a fair amount of sail area for a catamaran. Windward performance and tacking on them is probably not the best, and you may have to ease the mainsheet to help the boat tack. Weight is going to be your biggest enemy.

I hope this helps a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-21-2007

gershel is on a distinguished road
I met someone in Norfolk, Va. a few years ago in an Edel 35 that had sailed to Bermuda with the WestMarine Bermuda Rally. They encountered very rough weather and successfuly deployed a sea-anchor. They're experience was detailed in "Drag Device Data Base" by Victor Shane. By the way, this is a great read.
From what I gathered from the owner, the boat was quite capable.

Marc
Old 06-09-2007

Thank you very much for your comments, i have not used this excellent resource before.
I am now about to sign for this edel 35 and I feel it is a fine boat and a good compromise between many conflicting issues. will definately invest in a sea anchor. Again thanks for your interest.
all the best.
Casper
Old 06-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Instead of a sea anchor, I would highly recommend you get a Jordan Series Drogue. You can read more about them at: Jordan Series Drogue

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-09-2007

gershel is on a distinguished road
Since you've been reading DDDB, I suppose you read the account of the Edel cat, S/C-14. You could probably contact the owner directly to get a first hand account of his experience with his parachute, and his boat. He seemed to be a very knowledgable guy when I spoke with him.
Marc
Old 06-09-2007

Again, thank you for the contribution and will do my homework on this before getting any gear. Had a look at the Jordan drogue which looks better then a sea anchor due to its flexibility and give. i am not sure if it would be better to keep the bows of the boat into the wind as the stern is more vunerable with more openings and a cockpit to fill?! I understand that drogues do not work from the bows due to the amount of reverse movement. Sea anchors have problems with very high loading and shafe.
yet another interesting dilemma. i suppose one could strengthen hatches and washboards etc.

On a different note i have been considering the best self steering system for this edel 35. Due to simplicity and rod style steering system, giving fairly high resistance, i would favour an independant type vane self steering system such as the Hydrovane.
Does anyone have any experience with this system and does it work on cats? I imagine that there could be problems with the apparent wind direction shifting and excessive yaw or is the hydrovane sensitive enough?
Looking forward to any knowledge out there.
Many thanks and all the best.
Old 06-09-2007
Telstar 28

As I understand it, breaking seas haven't been much of an issue for the Jordan Series Drogue users, as the drogue allows the boat to move with the wave quite a bit, and doesn't stop it dead in the water, as a sea anchor would. Also, generally, most multihulls will tend to rise up with the waves, rather than get pulled through them, as they're not held down by a large chunk of metal in their keel.

As for wind vane self-steering systems. You will need to go with a stand-alone system, that doesn't rely on the boat's rudders to steer, due to the excess friction in the edel's dual rudder system. However, on many cats and tris, the windvane becomes less reliable, as the apparent wind increases with the boat's speed, but I don't know if the Edel would suffer from this.

Telstar 28
New England