SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Jeanneau DS42 Vs Beneateau Oceanis 43 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/55166-jeanneau-ds42-vs-beneateau-oceanis-43-a.html)

RHKYC 06-09-2009 10:09 PM

Jeanneau DS42 Vs Beneateau Oceanis 43

I live in Asia where sadly we lack the variety of boats on offer in the US and Euroland.

I am however currently looking at a NEW Beneteau 43 with all the bells and whistles. This includes air con / gen set which is needed in the tropics. The high Euro makes the purchase expensive especially as I work in $USD and I fear with a possible weakening of the Euro in the coming months or year I would be incurring a huge depreciation on the boat if I were to sell it within 3 years.

I thus have now looked at a 2nd hand (2007) Jeanneau DS42. The price is very favourable and the options list is 2nd to none. I feel more inclined to go towards the Jeanneau as the boat is being sold in $USD and the depreciation has already been calculated into the price. The used price is 34% less than the price paid back in 2007. A saving of $80k Vs the New 2009 Beneteau.

Does anyone have any experience of these boats and would I be a fool to go for a Jeanneau over a Beneteau?

Any feedback would be great.

blt2ski 06-09-2009 10:33 PM

I personally prefer Jeanneaus over the bene's unless you throw the First series Bens in the mix, then I prefer those over the Jeanneau's! Or an older Sunfast version is my first pick.

A lot of it IMHO is the interior etc. Which do you prefer as far as feel, look etc. I am biased, as I own an 85 Arcadia, a bit older than the new ones, but still a Jeanneau.

Price etc makes the Jeanneau a better deal, on the other hand, are there any Bens local that are a couple of yrs old? in that case, you might be better off this way, if you like the feel etc of bens.

Marty

RHKYC 06-09-2009 10:52 PM

Thanks Marty for your prompt reply. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately the used boat market in Asia is pretty much non existant. Simpson Marine are the big players out here and do a great job but even they dont have much to offer on the used market. I actually thought about buying something in the UK or the US and shipping it back. This is why when something does come up on the market here in Asia you need to move.

night0wl 06-09-2009 11:01 PM

I like the Beneteau Oceanis line prior to this current generation. Models that were like 323, 343, anything following the convention xx3, before this current generation of designs. The Berret/Racoupeau designs were a bit more traditional sailboat looking.

The new Finot-Conq designs (two digit model #'s like 34, 37, etc) are Euro for my tastes, although performance on those models is markedly better than the Berret/Raceoupeau designs.

The way things are with the latest designs, I'd put the newest Jeanneaus over the newest Beneteaus. But the prior generation Beneteaus over the newest Jeanneaus.

I just dont like the interior of the Jeanneaus too much. Way too modern/edgy. Its like the Beneteau First line. Love the boat, the sailing characteristics....HATE the interiors

MJBrown 06-10-2009 09:06 AM

We have a 2008 Beneteau 43 and are very happy with her. Yes she's very Euro looking but we like the change of pace. She has a ton of room below which is what sold us on her. Lot's of storage space as well. Very comfortable below deck. As for sailing she's IMO quick. We motor at apx 2600 RPMS and see 8kts SOG. I've only sailed her a few times but can tell you we were seeing 7.5 to 8kts of SOG in 11-12kts of wind close hauled and beam reaching. Had her reefed out in 20+ with 4-5 chop and she handled just fine hitting 9-10kts SOG. Once I fully understand how she likes to be trimmed I expect to see even greater speed. Her cockpit is huge and is great for entertaining or just relaxing. We've had as many as 12 on her for dinner and didn't feel cramped. She is an energy hog. We have electric toilets, electric shower sumps, individual compressors for the fridge and freezer, numerous cabin lights, radios, etc. Overall we have few if any complaints and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. While I've only looked at the Jenneaus at the shows IMO the Benny's cabins are finished off with much nicer woodwork.
Good luck with your decision.
Mike

MorgaNado 06-10-2009 10:04 AM

Jeanneau DS42 v Beneateau Oceanis 43

We love our Beneteau 373. Several friends love their Jeanneau DS42s -- and the layout and finishing is very nice.

Our dealer has been excellent -- even three years later. The entire Beneteau customer service effort is beyond reproach!

Landseer36i 06-11-2009 02:05 AM

Jeanneau is actually owed by Beneteau (Beneteau LTD if I remember correctly). Because of this you will see lots of similarities between the two boats and there will only be a few differences between the new Beneteau and a 2007 Jeanneau DS. What really matters the most is what you get for your money. If the Jeanneau has all the options you want and is cheaper than go with it. Especially with the global economy being what it is.

I currently own a 2009 Jeanneau 36i and I love it. I spent a few years looking at different boats and finally decided on the Jeanneau (the broker was great and was one of the reasons I went with the Jeanneau). It handles like a dream, is comfortable and fast under sail, and hosts great cookouts at anchor and dockside.

While I know I won't cross the Pacific with it (mostly because I don't have the time) I know that I will enjoy sailing the East Coast of the US, the Bahamas and parts of the Carribean.

You really can't go wrong with either but the Jeanneau sounds like the better deal.