Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2002

sailfan1 is on a distinguished road
best roller furlers

I''m relatively new to sailing (have only owned a boat since May of this year) and I have discovered that I would really like to spend more time on my boat. However, my first mate isn''t always as ready as I am so I would like to find a good headsail furler for my 23'' boat that would make single handing safer. Can you more seasoned sailers give me your opinions on the (best yet easiest to install myself) furler on the market?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
best roller furlers

I have to strongly disagree that a roller furler makes single-handing a 23 footer safer, especially if you now have a hanked on sail. The problem with roller furlers is that the jamb and they tend to jamb at just the moment when their inoperation adds to the danger. You are far better off rigging a downhaul on the jib on a boat that size that allows you to reliably bring the jib to the deck.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
best roller furlers

I''ve had a Harken system on my 27 footer since she was new in 1989. Has never jammed once. I think the problem with a furler that does jam is incorrect installation. Otherwise they are simple and reliable in operation. While I agree that one would be a good addition to your boat, I can''t say which is the "best" furler on the market today. all I can say is that my Harken furler has worked flawlessly. I also agree that anytime you can stay in the cockpit of a pitching boat rather than running up to the foredeck you are better off.
Old 11-17-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
best roller furlers

I have a Harken on my boat it jambs fairly frequently. While Harken and Profurl are generally considered the most robust and reliable furlers, I have had too many jambs, on large and small boats alike to consider them a good, safe idea for a small single-hander.
Jeff
Old 11-17-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
best roller furlers

Jeff:
That is why Teacher''s Pet III does not have roller furling. When the muck happens and it always does! I do not want a sail furler to control my boat.
Gene.
P.S. with our hard rails and a cable lower when we drop a sail on deck there is always a quick and easy place to tie it off. In anything but a normal breeze I always setup sail stops on the rail to speed up getting control of the sail. Another thing I do is have the Jib and the Main and Staysail Halyards all come down the same side of the mast.
Old 11-17-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
best roller furlers

Mitch:
If your boat is set up properly to go forward its the best place to be to handle the sails , not in the cockpit. Put 30" stantions on and a s/s top rail and a cable lower and see how much eaiser and safer it is to handle sails.
Gene S/V TPIII
Old 11-17-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
best roller furlers

Gene,

Thanks for the opinion, and in response I can only say this: If it ain''t broke, don''t fix it. My Harken roller furler has served me very well for years. Why go backwards (in my humble opinion) to hank-on sails? And yes, I agree that a 30 inch tall lifeline with a solid SS top rail would be nice and secure, but I''m not about to make my lovely sloop look like a Bayliner.

There are several on here with a predilection for manhandling sails, whether it be hank-on jibs or no socks for spinnakers. If you race, and/or sail with lots of crew, that may be fine for you. I singlehand, so I like the aid of some modern sailhandling. Perhaps that''s why I have my own boat -- I can set it up the way that suits me, and I trust all the others reading this do the same for their boats.

And even with a 30 inch tall, solid SS top rail, if you don''t have to go forward at all in iffy conditions, you''re better off.

Sorry!
Old 11-17-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
best roller furlers

It seems that all of the top around the world alone boats finished with pro furl reefing systems. I for one have never had a furler jam that was not due to operator error. If you furl and unfurl properly, and the furler is set up properly you should have no problems. I prefer to be in the cockpit while offshore as much as possible.

with respect to solid top lifeline rails. i have them on two boats and i dont think either one of them looks like a bayliner.

eric
Old 11-17-2002

73mensailed is on a distinguished road
best roller furlers

There seems to be battle between old school and neosailing.

While it is good to know celestial navigation because all the batteries for the GPS, electrical for the radio, radar, auto pilot etc. may fail at once is the old school argument. The fact is the GPS,radio, etc. is used. I read an article not to long ago where the author said he only used his sexton for fun anymore because he''s never had a complete failure.

So why not believe that a furler is a great mechanical device that is especially favorable to solo sailors, but the knowledge of setting or changing sail without it is essencial. Isn''t moving forward with these devices making sailing safer?

Here''s a question(well a couple). Some have said they have had jams(I have yet to have one). Do you know the cause? Was it let out into the wind too fast so the line bounced inside the furler or was there some other type of problem that cause the jam? Could you see it coming or knew it was tangled?
Old 11-19-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road
best roller furlers

Sounds to me like Sailfan1''s wife and mine agree that having to fold sails is not fun - especially up on the skinny, pointy, slippery end of the boat. Anything is preferable. Our club uses Harkens on seven heavily used Ideal 18''s, and I''ve heard no reports of furling problems on them over the past several years. On our own boat... I fold the jib.