Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009
Philippe

phboujon is on a distinguished road
How does a fixed keel boat differ from keel+centerboard?

Hi,

I am curious to understand the difference between a fixed keel boat and a keel + centerboard IF the displacement & ballast are close in both version. For example:

Valiant 40 - Keel + Centerboard (rare but it's an example only)
LOA: 40'
LWL: 34'
Beam: 12'4"
Displacement: 22,500 lbs
Draft: 4'-6'
Ballast: 7,7000 lbs

Valiant 40 - Fixed Keel:
LOA: 39'11"
LWL: 34'
Beam: 12'4"
Displacement: 22500
Draft: 6'
Ballast: 7800

If I was to calculate all common sailboat ratios related to speed, stability, capsize risk, none is ever related to the depth of the keel, but more often to the LWL, Beam, Displacement, Ballast and Sail Area.

Therefore, what would be the drawback of purchasing a keel + centerboard sailboat for offshore cruising/sailing, versus a fixed keel one? Does it impact safety? stability? or only speed?

Thank you
Philippe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2009
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
The righting moment, center of effort, and center of gravity are determined not only by the weight of the ballast but where that weight is placed so a keel boat will have more weight lower, be stiffer, and point better as the weight and the center of effort will be lower. Also centerboard boats tend to be noisier and risk the board jambing in thetrunk.
Old 06-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A properly designed Keel/Centerboard boat is a great bluewater boat and has the advantage of a shallower draft for when in coastal waters. The major issue with it is the slightly increased maintenance that the centerboard requires.

As for what SpecialD said, that really depends on the boats in question. A keel boat may be stiffer, and may have weight lower, but if the keel/CB design is a good one, it won't point any higher. The height of the COE has little to do with the boat's ability to point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-11-2009

tweitz is on a distinguished road
On the other hand, the centerboard Valiant will be a lot more fun to sail in 5 feet of water.
Old 06-11-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Many centerboards such as our C&C 35 MKIII have no issues with noise and in fact give us geater flexibility than the fixed keel models. For instance our centerboard drops down to over 6 feet giving us an advantage over fixed shoal keel C&C 35's in terms of stability and can be pulled up to 4'6 to allow us to go up many of the smaller tributaries of the Chesapeake.

As long as you take care of the pivioting mechanism and maintain it as SD has indicated a k/c can give you the best of all worlds.

The only disadvantage I have found is a shallower bilge.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-11-2009
Philippe

phboujon is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I appreciate the insights. If you can expand on the "noise" issue since I am not sure to understand. Aren't they supposed to be locked in placed once down?

So, based on what the few of you already said, that would bring my next question: Since most bluewater/offshore cruisers tend to have keels longer than 5'2" (what I have been said to be the max you want in the small tributaries of the Chesapeak, ICW, Caribbeans), what bluewater cruisers with a good keel/CB design exists out there? The Valiant was only one example, and I am trying to find others of the same caliber.

Thanks again for the replies!
Philippe
Old 06-11-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
It's very important that it locks in the down position especially in heavy weather because if you have a knock-down and the keel slides up into it's bay, it will take considerably longer for the boat to stand up again.

I also fear the reality of the keel being seriously damaged in a grounding (having lost a fixed-keel boat through that once before) but then I guess that fear could just be due to unfamiliarity with the workings of a drop-keel.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-11-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phboujon View Post
The Valiant was only one example, and I am trying to find others of the same caliber.

Thanks again for the replies!
Philippe
All these manufacturers have had models with centerboards:

Freedom,
Able,
1987 Able Custom Sloop/Cutter - Boats.com
Packet Island

and somewhat arguably lesser caliber
C&C,
Tartan,
Bristol,
Sabre,
Person,
Benetau, and many others.
Old 06-11-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
and Hinckley.

The centerboard on my Tartan is really designed only for pointing ability, I adds little or no stability. If it were bad weather I would just retract it so not to cause any damage from a knockdown and the board crashing into the slot unexpectedly.

Maintenance is an issue, but for where we sail, it is worth the extra time needed to maintain it IMO. Just recently, I replace the pennant and the tube connecting the mast tube to the thu hull fitting, it was a SOB but I got it on.

I have heard it make some noise, but only when I was at anchor or sailing downwind with a following sea and had forgot to bring it up

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-11-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
All these manufacturers have had models with centerboards:

Freedom,
Able,
1987 Able Custom Sloop/Cutter - Boats.com
Packet Island

and somewhat arguably lesser caliber
C&C,
Tartan,
Bristol,
Sabre,
Person,
Benetau, and many others.
Haven't heard of some of those boats; person, packet island and lesser caliber

JeffH...where are you????

Photo by Joe McCary