Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009

BeckNYC is on a distinguished road
Weekend Trip Suggestions from NYC

Hi all,

I have a Catalina 27 in NYC (Newport, NJ actually). We just bought the boat, and have done most of our sailing in the NYC Harbor. We would like to find a) some good places that we could sail to for good day trips where we could possibly anchor and swim and b) good weekend trip (overnight) destinations, also possibly with decent beaches.

Anyone have any good suggestions??

Thanks!

Beck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Get yourself a copy of the Cruising Guide to New England, which also covers Long Island Sound. Plenty of places in LIS you could go for a weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-12-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
A few come to mind. Watch Hill, Mystic CT, Northport, Greenport, to name a few.

Never Forgotten

Old 06-12-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
He's in Jersey guys! How is he gonna make it up the East River to the sound in a C27 on Saturday...and have time to do anything...then turn around and come back on Sunday..all while timing the tide/current in Hell gate?

I'd be thinking Coney Island, Rockaway Inlet and Sheepshead Bay.
Old 06-12-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I guess my suggestions were for a long week end! However, I just took a boat (not much bigger) from Perth Amboy NJ., to Northport day 1, Northport to Mystic CT. day two.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 06-12-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-12-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Boats from my club in Glen Cove commonly go for a weekend through Hell's Gate to NYC and back, so going the other way is certainly possible.

Sandy Hook in NJ would be a good destination also.
Old 06-12-2009

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
Great Kills Harbor on Staten Island.
Old 06-12-2009

AaronOnTheHudson is on a distinguished road
I'm just a few a miles north of you (at Lincoln Harbor). I bought a Catalina 250 at the end of last season. My wife and I just made a trip to Sandy Hook, NJ and had a great time (her first overnight trip). Sandy hook is only about 20NM away... so depending on the wind it is more a day trip. The bay sure beats the Hudson river traffic. Both Sandy Hook and Great Kills are good places to anchor. I suggest you checkout the activecaptain web site you can scroll around the map for anchorages. I've also sailed my boat everywhere between here and Boston. If you have any more questions or ever need a hand or crewmember let me know (I'm new to this site but I'm sure it has private messaging).
2005 Catalina 250 WK #847
Old 06-12-2009

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into some of those places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I'd be thinking Coney Island, Rockaway Inlet and Sheepshead Bay.
Camaraderie, Would you actually anchor and swim at those places? how's the water over there?

B
Old 06-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronOnTheHudson View Post
I'm just a few a miles north of you (at Lincoln Harbor). I bought a Catalina 250 at the end of last season. My wife and I just made a trip to Sandy Hook, NJ and had a great time (her first overnight trip). Sandy hook is only about 20NM away... so depending on the wind it is more a day trip. The bay sure beats the Hudson river traffic. Both Sandy Hook and Great Kills are good places to anchor. I suggest you checkout the activecaptain web site you can scroll around the map for anchorages. I've also sailed my boat everywhere between here and Boston. If you have any more questions or ever need a hand or crewmember let me know (I'm new to this site but I'm sure it has private messaging).
Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that. I had been thinking about Sandy Hook... glad to hear a good recommendation for it. I'll look into Great Kills, too. Someone else also recommended it.

B