Yachtmaster Fast Track - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-12-2009 Thread Starter

Yachtmaster Fast Track

Hello!

I've not done much sailing in the past but I am looking to do the fast track yachtmaster course with my partner and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any companies - good or bad.

I would be really grateful for some recommendations or suggestions.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2009

A "fast track" yachtmaster is something of a contradiction in terms - in order to qualify you need certain levels of sea-time away from your home port and a range of other requirements that simply take time.

Check the RYA website - most Yachtmaster courses are based on their requirements.

Also be aware that there are others on this board that scorn Yachtmaster qualfications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #3 of 4 Old 06-14-2009
Self Grandizing Egotist

Question

Scorn Yachtmaster ?

Wondering why ? Granted, some could argue about the merits of a "quickie" course that takes a mere 14 weeks but it does represent some intense tuition no ?

I would've thought that obtaining your YM certification would be a helluva lot better than some of the ASA 10 day shake'n bake courses I've seen advertised on this side of the pond.

Boggled

I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts. - Mark Twain
post #4 of 4 Old 06-15-2009

The "Don't Tread on Me" types notwithstanding, the YM courses provide a baseline of competency and skills that insurers find appealing. Of course, a citizen sailor is one thing, but who wants a citizen brain surgeon?

"BADGES? I DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!"

Can't sleep? Read my countdown to voyaging blog @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.