Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
We finally took her out by ourselves

This is a book, so first, let me give you all some eyecandy to wet your appetites:

After several weekends of just crummy weather in South Florida (go figure) NOAA finally predicted decent wind and no storms so us newbie owners could take out our boat by ourselves. Since we bought Jendai, we've had her out very little despite her being right behind our house. First, we work a ton so sailing is strictly a weekend affair right now. Second, when we last tried taking her out without experienced captain/teacher on board, we managed to get her perpendicular to the canal and our dock. Much panic, dock crashing, gnashing of teeth and crying (my wife) we decided no more trips on our own. That escapade resulted in a small scrape and some toerail damage that reminded me of my failure every time I hosed her down or did any boat projects.

So, we've been at the mercy of friends with boats coming over and helping us take her around. Taking her out by ourselves had gotten to the point of a phobia for me...I just would lose intestinal fortitude as I stared at our boat on the dock.

That ended this weekend. With NOAA and Weather.com giving us the green light, we got on board did our pre-departure checklist. First, we said a bit of a prayer at the dock. Who cares if the neighbors stared....we were putting our lives and our boats wellbeing on the line here. On board we went, started up the engine, checked water flow, all systems look good. Time to go.

Then we slipped the stern and bow lines. Nothing dramatic happened (this is good). Then we slipped the aft spring line. Stern got a bit out out there...but my wife got that under control quickly. Slipped the forward spring line....push off and I gave it a bit of throttle. Diesel purred to life, and we were on our way!!!!

Trip down the New River was uneventful. Cross I-95 bridge no problem (its fixed...but blind approach). Davie Blvd bridge opened right up for us. No Jungle Queen securitie calls on the vhf (phew).

Then we cross SW 7th Ave. And oh crap. VHF chatter reveals that the railroad bridge is down. And get this, Jungle Queen is on the other side of Andrews (which is only 100-200 yards after the railroad bridge). Time to practice holding in place. Prop walk in reverse throws me into the current. Ok, no big deal...lots of room. A couple of doughnuts and we're back in line. Why wont this bridge open!? VHF chatter says that the CSX bridge will go up because too many boats are waiting...in 15 minutes since the "locks" on the bridge go slow....ARGH!

Ok, one more doughnut and I get it right. Holding ground against the current...this is cool. Oh wait, whats this. A trawler gets right up my stern. So, forward is 3 boatss holding for bridge...and my rear is the trawler. Stressful. Finally the bridge opens, and Jungle Queen sends a loudspeaker blast to everyone to come on through. Phew. I've had to deal with her between Andrews Ave and 3rd Ave bridges, it is NOT fun. As I pass her port to port, she blasts her whistle. I just about brown my underwear. I'm a bit skittish.

We pass through Andrews, then 3rd. NOW we're cooking with gas! Only 17th street causeway left and the trip will be a success (we only wanted to get to the ICW and back). So, as we get to 17th street, friendly boat we know hails us on the vhf and holds back. They cant clear 17th street without an opening...we can, but I found out later barely. I always thought 17th street was 65 feet. Well its 55 ft. And its high tide. We have 50' + 3-4 in antennas/equipment. We clear with a foot or two to spare. Lesson learned...respect bridges and tide.

Ok, I can see it. The inlet channel markers. Red to port...do we want to push it and go out? Lets do it says the wife! (god I love her) So left turn we make. Release the outhaul, the inhaul, the traveler sheets and the jib spinlock. Pull on the outhaul and up goes the main - no going forward to the mast for me! As we're going out there, wind picks up. Up goes the jib. Southeast wind and we close haul due east. Out to the 3 mile limit, turn north (I dont like running, cant control the jibes too well yet) and our friends take all these pics for us.

So, the wife starts looking a bit green. Its not as calm anymore, and the VHF traffic is getting crazy. Looks like there's going to be a bouy race soon. We turn back in and yes...I'm embarrassed to say it, pretty much motored back in. Wife didn't take her seasickness meds and the ginger ale could only do so much. So we get back to the inlet, navigate the bridges back in. I'm wary of Madame Jungle Queen or her (even uglier) younger step-sister, Carrie-B Cruises. As we cross the railroad bridge heading for 7th, I hear her...she's just entering marker 12. We are in the clear through the wiggles and probably all the way to I-95....yess!!!!!

Ok, so we make it to the mouth of our canal. Wow, it seems narrower than when we left. Do we really push our luck and back it down the whole way? Wife says go for it (I really love this woman!!). So first attempt...get the boat turned a bit too late...abort! Do we push it? YES she says! So attempt two lines up right. I'm backing up Dolphin Canal between Key Largo lane and Gulfstream. There's our house in the distance...seems far away going so slow. I reach for the throttle to speed it up...wife puts her hand on mine and says uh-uh. She knows me too well. The house comes soon enough...I turn the weel to cut in for the dog and all of a sudden WUFF WUFF GGGRRRWWWWOOOLLWWW. Neighbor LETS HER DOGS OUT JUST AS I'M GETTING TO MY DOCK. I'm stressed enough, and my concentration is shot!!! I straighten out took quick...and the docklines are too far to reach for my wife...they're on the dock not hanging. CRAP ON A STICK.

Ok, so its ok...I just put a bit of forward to try again. Only I didn't straighten my helm out enough! BOAT TURNS unexpected direction. Bow gets perpendicular to the dock....my stern is perpendicular to my canal neighbors dock. I'm thrashing between forward and reverse (lord save my transmission). Flashbacks of our first weekend out are going through my head. But an odd thing happens. We dont yell like we did last time. Yeah, we put the bow into our piling. Yeah we scraped along the wood a bit. But I got it back under control. When my wife got that first spring line on, it was like a weight had been lifted off of my chest. Then that second one came on and I just about danced at the helm.

We unloaded, and said another prayer right on the dock. What a day.

Link To Pictures of our first sail on our own boat

Last edited by night0wl; 06-14-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2009

montenido is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! It will certainly get easier from this point. Since I mostly solo sail, my first few ventures were rocky and stressful also. Now I get in and out of the slip like a pro (almost). The best piece of advice I have heard is to approach your dock or slip at the speed you wish to strike it. Your enjoyment is directly related to your comfort level, and now that you have sucessfully made it in and out, your comfort level will grow in leaps and bounds. Enjoy all your future days on board.

Fair winds, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain

Last edited by montenido; 06-14-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-15-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Good on you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Congratulations! It will certainly get easier from this point. Since I mostly solo sail, my first few ventures were rocky and stressful also. Now I get in and out of the slip like a pro (almost). The best piece of advice I have heard is to approach your dock or slip at the speed you wish to strike it. Your enjoyment is directly related to your comfort level, and now that you have sucessfully made it in and out, your comfort level will grow in leaps and bounds. Enjoy all your future days on board.

Fair winds, Bill
Many thanks...very kind words. We love our Beneteau 343, but in retrospect she's too much boat for us beginners! We should probably have started with your boat (from your signature). But the "deal" was too good to pass up here. I'm sure we'll get the hang of her in a few more sails.

And as a friend reminds me, gelcoat and fiberglass can always be repaired...nothing on a boat is unreplaceable.
Old 06-15-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Beautiful boat! Rest assured your docking skills will only improve if you work at them and even when you get more comfortable, there will be "those days". "Those Days" invariably happen when the most witnesses are about. You can dock perfectly 200 times in a row with no one around, but the day of the dock picnic with 100 people milling around, things will go to hell in a handbasket and it will be like you've never seen a sailboat much less competently skipper one. It happens to everyone and the only upside is it makes for great stories over drinks later.

Keep at it and enjoy your beautiful Bene!

btw, My wife won a pair of Family Service Radios (basically walkie talkies) which we use for situations like docking, anchoring and entering channels at night were one of us is at the bow and one at the helm. We've found it really helps ease communication and cuts down on the yelling, which in turn reduces stress levels. I think they are a pretty good idea for crusing couples.

Bill
s/v Palmetto Moon
Catalina 36
Old 06-15-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
It's one step at a time. Biscayne Bay is a great place to sail, and it's so close to you. If your mast heigth is under 55ft. you can use the ICW to get there.

I took lessons on S.F. Bay, and in the beginning there were days I just watched the boats from the marina. I knew I wasn't ready for the summer winds there. It wasn't long I was out in any wind, and then single-handing, but it was a step at a time. BEST WISHES in honing your skills, and soon you will be across the stream to enjoy the lovely Bahamas......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 06-15-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
I remember those days fondly....

I could do without the "tension" though!!
Old 06-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post

I could do without the "tension" though!!
The "tension" has taken at least 5 years off of my life. Although the time out on the water has added back 3-4. Net net...I think its *SO* worth it.

We are going to the Bahamas July 4th extended weekend with experienced friends. Our boat, our provisions...their company and skills to get us there and back. Should be fun.

Our next "big" solo thing will be to take her out for a daysail then come back and anchor in Lake Sylvia for the night. Then go back home in the morning/afternoon.

After that, then its Biscayne for a weekend. Then, its the Keys for a week. Then Bahamas just us!
Old 06-15-2009

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Many thanks...very kind words. We love our Beneteau 343, but in retrospect she's too much boat for us beginners! We should probably have started with your boat (from your signature). But the "deal" was too good to pass up here. I'm sure we'll get the hang of her in a few more sails.

And as a friend reminds me, gelcoat and fiberglass can always be repaired...nothing on a boat is unreplaceable.
You'll get used to it in no-time and if you bought a smaller boat you would have been wishing for a bigger one very soon.
Old 06-15-2009
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
The "tension" has taken at least 5 years off of my life. Although the time out on the water has added back 3-4. Net net...I think its *SO* worth it.
I agree.

We are into our third season and the "tension" has practuically vanished!!