Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2002

grumol is on a distinguished road
Do-it-yourself mooring

i have a problem -- we live on an isolated part of the st. lawrence river, just before it meets Lake Ontario -- reportedly a mud/weed/rock bottom -- i need to do a mooring in 15'' of water, and can''t get any commercial outfits to come out here and do the job -- so i''m considering doing it myself -- i propose to do as described in Chapman''s, put in 3 anchors, (danforth, plough?)connected by bridle chain, then single chain rising to buoy -- my ancient Chapman''s claims this is more secure than a heavy mushroom -- is this nuts?? -- for now, its a 22, but may eventually be home for a 30'' -- bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road
Do-it-yourself mooring

Your insurance company might have some ideas on what they consider sufficient. Other owners in your area probably have experience with things that are both cheap and effective. I know one guy who set himself up a mooring in Kingston (Ont.) with an abused chevy block, but he wasn''t a Chapman''s type.
Old 11-20-2002

Do-it-yourself mooring

yes, i suspect there are many car parts at the bottom of the "harbor" here in c.v., but this was before the "authorities" got more involved -- now it requires approval from the Dept. of Environmental Conservation, the Army Corps of Engineers, and the local sheriff -- also, i suspect that the less formal route would be to get a hunting license, buy a pick-up, start hanging out at the local bar, etc. -- but as a non-hunter, non-drinker, this puts me at a disadvantage.
Old 11-20-2002

Peter_pan is on a distinguished road
Do-it-yourself mooring

Hi
283 Chevy bare block will do a real good! 20 feet of galvanized heavy chain and clevis will last at least 5 years. Use chain buffered with a big bunji or rope to secure the boat to the bouy.
Jim
Old 11-20-2002

Peter_pan is on a distinguished road
Do-it-yourself mooring

Hi again
Realistically a five gallon bucket filled with concrete will work great and is completely enviromentaly compliant. simply mix some up and put about 18 inches of the chain in the wet cement and once it hardens it will never pull out. if your worried it isn''t heavy enough use three buckets. aught to weigh about 200 pounds when your done.
JIm
Old 11-21-2002

owlmtn is on a distinguished road
Do-it-yourself mooring

Sorry to say but a 5 gal bucket filled with cement is a terrible idea. Even with three buckets a small boat would drag them in a good blow.The weight of a mooring is not as important as its ability to dig in to the bottom and it''s density. A mushroom anchor is the best or if you insist on making your own i would reccomend that you imitate the idea of a mushroom. If you want to use cement I wouldn''t go with any less than 500#. Jim
Old 11-21-2002

tanzer is on a distinguished road
Do-it-yourself mooring

Last summer I moored my 28'' Tanzer to the following rig:

22lb Danforth

50'' 1/4" HT chain

35lb CQR

100'' 1/4" HT chain

Swivel and mooring buoy

Two 3/4" pennants

This was in mud/clay, good holding ground. It worked all summer and was easy to remove at the end of the season. I thought the combination of anchors worked well: Danforth, which holds well but doesn''t reset well, and a plow, which resets well but can drag/plow through the mud.
Old 11-22-2002

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
Do-it-yourself mooring

WA State Marine Parks use a 2,000lb. block of concrete connected by about 10ft. of chain to a 500lb. block. The 500lb. block is intended to lift to relieve extreme strain.
Old 11-22-2002

tiz_1 is on a distinguished road
Do-it-yourself mooring

It''s not do-it-yourself but may cost less than the three-anchor setup you suggest: A helix mooring. I have no interest in the company or its products but I use one and it is very strong. Excellent for river use. Must be installed by a contractor. Lasts 20 years or more.

They''re on the web at:

http://www.helixmooringsystems.com

--Kevin
Old 11-22-2002

Do-it-yourself mooring

sounds great, but this area here is pretty isolated from that technology -- i can''t even get someone to put in the older, chunk of concrete, type of mooring -- if i don''t do it myself, it appears that it won;''t be happening