Recommended barnacle cleaning frequency in Charleston SC - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-16-2009 Thread Starter

Recommended barnacle cleaning frequency in Charleston SC

I just recently moved my newly acquired sailboat to Charleston SC and was told by one scuba cleaning services supplier that during the summer months they recommend a twice per month bottom cleaning service and go back to a once per month schedule starting September.
Does anyone know if this is this the right frequency for bottom cleaning in a place like the Charleston harbor - I thought a once every two months bottom cleaning frequency would be all I need.
Thanks,
Pierre.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-16-2009

When I check around this spring here in Charleston, most diving companies recommend once a month during the summer months and once every two months during the winter.

The boat I partnered on a few years ago was on this schedule and I have placed my boat on the same schedule.

Marty Garner
S/V About Time!
1986 Catalina 30
Charleston, SC
post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2009

Is bottom paint not effective in SC or are you guys racers? We only need to have a diver clean our prop and running gear once or twice a year here on the Chesapeake. I've never had to have the bottom cleaned and only get a light coat of slime in the 8 months or so we leave the boat in the water. Around here you only see the guys that race messing with bottom cleaning other than at a haulout.

Are the critters that much more tenacious down south?

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2009

Barnacle growth is maximum during the beginning of Summer and decreases in Autumn. But a good applied bottom paint should protect the hull for at least a season or two. you do not need a mechancal cleaning if you painted the bottom. If barnicles are attacking your bottom, repainting is a better idea. cleaning the hull twice monthly will keep your bottom clear for approximately 7 - 10 days. The offered 15 day period is good in this respect.

Please reconsider the costs of cleaning and painting.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Is bottom paint not effective in SC or are you guys racers? We only need to have a diver clean our prop and running gear once or twice a year here on the Chesapeake. I've never had to have the bottom cleaned and only get a light coat of slime in the 8 months or so we leave the boat in the water. Around here you only see the guys that race messing with bottom cleaning other than at a haulout.
Ditto all that up in the NE.... but since my goal is to retire to Charleston in a few years I'm very interested in this thread.....

Stan
'Christy Leigh'
NC 331
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
post #6 of 7 Old 06-17-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post

Fouling rates vary greatly from region to region and are affected by things such as salinity, water temperature, amount of sunlight received etc. Clearly, your boat lives in an area with a low fouling rate.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
Ditto all that up in the NE.... but since my goal is to retire to Charleston in a few years I'm very interested in this thread.....
Maybe we'll be neighbors. SC is my home State and I have family along the coast from Charleston to Myrtle Beach. I'm targeting somewhere in Georgetown or south down to Mt Pleasant for retirement.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.