SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Alden or Knott?

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  WanderingStar 
#1 ·
While researching the origin of my 39' Alden, I learned that she was in fact designed by Wm Daniel Knott working for Chester Crosby. I've heard that Knott worked for Alden Co. at another time. I suspect the seller called her Alden to make her more desirable.
The good news is that she's a fine, lovely vessel (if I do say so myself). And I've already spoken to the designer. I'm sending a letter today, inquiring about plans.

#3 ·
Thanks. I have the book and love it. The boat was built in '68, the book only goes to the '50s. If you search Alden Yacht Designs, Nils Helleberg has the business now. She is within inches of "Sea Toy". But I spoke to Knott, he's the guy, he remembers the client and builder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.