Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009

RubyVee is on a distinguished road
Crusing and CPAP

We bought the boat, we're counting the days until retirement. Now, both DH and I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. We're both sleeping on CPAP these days. Anyone else out there cruising with CPAP? How do you make it work for you?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2009
1984 O'Day 26 - Lazy Dog

bacinmass is on a distinguished road
Hi RubyVee -

I'm a CPAP user, too. I contacted the CPAP manufacturer for their advice, they told me that their advice to camping folks is to use a marine battery and an inverter to power the CPAP. So, I tested a marine battery (at home) this week, and was able to get two nights out of the battery without recharging it.

My advice is to check with your CPAP manufacturer, this might be an easy challenge to overcome. (If only all challenges associated with sleep apnea were so easy.)

Good luck and sweet dreams!
Old 06-18-2009

Undine is on a distinguished road
Hubby has a CPAP also. His is a Resmed brand and he purchased the optional 12 inverter. The machine actually uses 20V DC (same as computers). We are not yet using it as we just got the boat as well and have to wire a 12V plug for it. At home we have one of the portable batteries that are made for running power tools for power outages. It gives him 7 hours of machine time.
Old 06-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IIRC, they do make 12VDC units.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-18-2009

timangiel is on a distinguished road
The CPAPs they make now are much smaller than they were a few years ago, so if the ones you have are on the older side you might want to look into getting a newer version. They would be easier to travel with and probably consume less power.
Old 06-19-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
They make 12 volt ones. I have seen the 120 volt ones plugged in with the small inverters into a 12volt plug. I went camping with a guy and he used his car battery for 4 nights and the car still started. If you are going to be cruising for awhile I would try to get a replacement and keep the old one. You dont want to have to try to make it for a month trying to find a replacement.
Old 06-19-2009

noreault is on a distinguished road
I have cruised with several different machines. The one I like best is the Everest. It is very small and you can purchase an integrated lithium battery. It provides for me, at 12psi, about 10 hours of running per charge. If you use the integrated heated humidifier only about 5 hours. You can buy a 12 volt power supply and charge it from the house batteries during the day. Total usage nightly is about 5AMP hours. I've had it for 4 years and very pleased with the unit and use it as my every day device. I purchased it from cpap.com, you must have a prescription, and was very happy with their service.
Old 06-19-2009

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Hubby uses a CPAP and we travel (boat and otherwise) with it, without a problem. We made sure to get the smallest one we could find, with 12V power option.

Not had any problems power usage wise, either on our boat, or charter boats. Airlines are used to seeing CPAPs now, so security checks are a non issue, as long as you put the CPAP through separately.
Old 07-25-2009

RubyVee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreault View Post
I have cruised with several different machines. The one I like best is the Everest. It is very small and you can purchase an integrated lithium battery. It provides for me, at 12psi, about 10 hours of running per charge. If you use the integrated heated humidifier only about 5 hours. You can buy a 12 volt power supply and charge it from the house batteries during the day. Total usage nightly is about 5AMP hours. I've had it for 4 years and very pleased with the unit and use it as my every day device. I purchased it from cpap.com, you must have a prescription, and was very happy with their service.
Thanks for the information! I bought the Everest with the integrated battery and found that I got more than enough running per charge using the humidifier on "passover" mode. cpap.com was very helpful! Thank you!