Is mooring in Raritan Bay, South Amboy, NJ free? If not, how do I get it? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009

privatearms is on a distinguished road
Is mooring in Raritan Bay, South Amboy, NJ free? If not, how do I get it?

I was wondering if mooring in the raritan bay is free. I would be in the South Amboy area. Does anyone know? Is there any place I can find out? Thank you in advance.

33' boat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2009

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
The only mooring field I am aware of in Raritan Bay is behind Sandy Hook at Atlantic Highlands and not free. The East end of the Bay at the Amboys is probably controled by the Port Authority, but I have not been to that end.

Try one of the marinas in Keyport.

Last edited by Ulladh; 06-19-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
You might try contacting the RBYC or the local USCG to be more specific about what you're looking for. There are a number of special and general anchorage areas, but as usual in the northeast states, you don't want to drop a hook or tie up without knowing exactly what you are getting into.

From the charts, I don't see any mooring fields (which are usually privately operated) but there are four anchorage areas (44, 45, 46, 47) available to you. The first two are closer in but smack in the middle of traffic.
Old 06-19-2009

privatearms is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You might try contacting the RBYC or the local USCG to be more specific about what you're looking for. There are a number of special and general anchorage areas, but as usual in the northeast states, you don't want to drop a hook or tie up without knowing exactly what you are getting into.

From the charts, I don't see any mooring fields (which are usually privately operated) but there are four anchorage areas (44, 45, 46, 47) available to you. The first two are closer in but smack in the middle of traffic.
Yes, the areas I was talking about are in the middle of traffic. There are 2 boats mooring there now. One black sailboat about 40' and a barge. I think that might be free.
Old 06-19-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Mooring? Or anchoring? Can be a big difference. Big steel mooring cans are often set by a port authority for commercial use, and you'll need permission to tie up to them.
Old 06-20-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Not sure what you mean by "free". Most harbors on Long Island are controlled by the local harbormaster and you must have a permit to drop a mooring. Even if there is no permit required, you still have the cost of the mooring and cost of having the mooring set, and need a way to back and forth to your boat. There are a few boaters in our harbor (which doesn't require permits) who keep there boat on a mooring of their own and launch a dinghy each day from the town ramp to get to their boat.