Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009

doghouseman is on a distinguished road
That's only part of the problem. HobieCats are not meant to be moored - period. If you leave a traditional cat (fiberglass sandwich construction ie. the 16, 17 18...) in the water, it will become waterlogged. They don't have a barrier coat! I'm not sure what would happen with a rotomolded boat (ie. the Wave or Getaway).

My windrider leaks, but only through the bolts to the outside of the boat, not through the plastic. The plastic part of the boat has held up very well.
I am still trying to keep a battery and automatic bilge pump working on the boat.

Last edited by doghouseman; 06-22-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: make more clear
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2009
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
I'm unfamiliar with the rig. If it is like a Hobie and is a loose rig, the forestay and shrouds will take a continuous pounding unless the rig is tensioned. It's bad enough on the beach; when the wind shifts, and windward and leeward swap, the top of the mast gets blown across only to be stopped (quickly) by the standing rigging. Enough of these hammer blows and something is going to fail.

Now imagine how many more times this is going to happen if the boat is on the water - every wake and wave that comes by is going to pound the rig multiple times.

IMPORTANT: Replace all of your standing rigging NOW. All of it has been pounded and is in as much danger of failing as your forestay.

Last edited by ottos; 06-23-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2009

mast falling over

Agreed, I will need to replace all the stays on the boat.

Thanks
Troy
Old 06-23-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouseman View Post
Agreed, I will need to replace all the stays on the boat.

Thanks
Troy
Well if you are going to replace all the standing rigging it would be a good opportunity to add stay adjusters and turnbuckles for future fine tuning of the standing rigging. Maybe even get a good bearing under the mast base plate.
Old 06-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
Well if you are going to replace all the standing rigging it would be a good opportunity to add stay adjusters and turnbuckles for future fine tuning of the standing rigging. Maybe even get a good bearing under the mast base plate.
I was thinking about that. This boat is a hydrofoil so it puts an enormous amount of pressure on the stays. I guess turnbuckles will not weaken the strength of the stay?

Troy
Old 06-24-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
A Discontinued Hydrofoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouseman View Post
I was thinking about that. This boat is a hydrofoil so it puts an enormous amount of pressure on the stays. I guess turnbuckles will not weaken the strength of the stay?

Troy
Yes, a Hydrofoil, it took me a bit to remember it, The Windrider Rave Hydrofoil, goes as fast as a powerboat (20-30mph). I remember the pictures and video now, nice toy. They don't make it anymore and they are not easy to come by used, I think they went for about 10K or more back in their day. It is worth investing in and re-fitting with superior rigging, you won't find a better toy than The Rave and I am sure it will hold it's resale value considering you can't get them anymore. I wouldn't mind having one myself.
Old 06-24-2009

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
I keep a 16' MC Scow on a mooring and have had the forestay break in storms due to wave action and the mast beating against the stays since the stays are fairly loose.

My solution (and it is the solution of many of the folks in my area) is to tie a short piece of rope between the mast and the forestay. This takes out all of the slack in the rig and keeps all of the stays very taut and prevents shock loading of the stays. Ever since I have done that, I haven't had a stay break on the mooring.