How loose is your main sheet while raising the main? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
View Poll Results: How loose is your main sheet while raising the main?
I keep the main sheet tight 6 8.82%
I keep the main sheet a little slack 26 38.24%
I keep the main sheet completely released 36 52.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 06-22-2009

I singlehand and set the autopilot to head straight into the wind in wind mode, so that the boat will change heading if the wind changes. The boom is high I can't reach it and my boat has in mast furling. Nevertheless I keep the main sheet loose while pulling out the main sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 06-22-2009

I completely release mine

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't
post #13 of 34 Old 06-22-2009

I have always kept the mainsheet tight. I would most always singlehand and did not like the opportunity for the boom to fly around while getting back into the cockpit and knock me over. Even after I had run all the lines aft so I could raise the main from the cockpit I would still keep the mainsheet tight. WHen I raised the main from on deck I would let the halyard go into the cabin through the companionway and once the sails where set and the boat was on course I would wrap the halyard and stow. I guess when you singlehand you figure out wats that you are most comfortable with and fit your agility.
post #14 of 34 Old 06-22-2009

OK, maybe this is a stoopid question. Several responses have mentioned they keep the mainsheet tight as they don't want to take the chance of havine the boom fly around. To my understanding, this would only occur if the boat were'nt headed directly into the wind. In this instance, would a significant heel be preferable to a boom swing?

Please correct my errors as necessary...

Eric
post #15 of 34 Old 06-22-2009
Apropos of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I keep a bit of slack in the mainsheet, after taking up the boom with the topping lift quite a bit. This allows me to hoist the main sail completely without fighting the mainsheet, and prevents the boom from moving around too much.
Same here, except the topping lift part. I get an easier hoist if nothing is pulling down on the sail.
post #16 of 34 Old 06-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericread View Post
OK, maybe this is a stoopid question. Several responses have mentioned they keep the mainsheet tight as they don't want to take the chance of havine the boom fly around. To my understanding, this would only occur if the boat were'nt headed directly into the wind. In this instance, would a significant heel be preferable to a boom swing?

Please correct my errors as necessary...

Eric
If the boat heels with the tiller loose it will round up. I am hooked to the mast and not going anywhere. If need i can make my way back into the ccockpit. If a wind shift happens while getting off deck and the boom swings i'm over the edge and if hit in the head knocked out.
post #17 of 34 Old 06-22-2009

If you notice CD, our infamous moderator, cannot answer this question as he has never raised his sails and has no idea what you people are talking about..."main sheet, pu, thats for the master stateroom, whatever"

I for one want to know how to link my auto pilot to the wind meter, that is cool!?

Cheers,
Shawn

S/V Windgeist
1982 Tartan 37C

post #18 of 34 Old 06-22-2009
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
If you notice CD, our infamous moderator, cannot answer this question as he has never raised his sails and has no idea what you people are talking about..."main sheet, pu, thats for the master stateroom, whatever"
Very true...

Quote:
I for one want to know how to link my auto pilot to the wind meter, that is cool!?
What autopilot and wind instrument do you have. If you have both Raymarine... then connect them with a Seatalk cable... and you're done.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #19 of 34 Old 06-22-2009
ancient mariner

i have a profurl in boom furling system for the fully battened main. i head into the wind with the auto pilot on, & loosen the sheet. i have a solid vang & it's hard to get the main all the way up without the sheet loose.

Liberals are people who care about others. Freethinkers are not constrained by the myths of religion.
post #20 of 34 Old 06-22-2009

This seems to be a thread about whether we ease and reset our topping lifts every time we raise and lower the mainsail. At least on my boat, the topping lift is set so that it is loose enough to sail whenever the mainsail is hoisted, no matter how hard I haul in my mainsheet, and I never adjust it otherwise. Consequently, I have to ease my mainsheet or I can't haul my sail up. Its that simple.

That said my halyard winch is near my mainsheet so I keep the sheet tight until the mainsail is halfway or more up before releasing the sheet.

Obviously, if you ease and tighten your topping lift with each mainsail hoist, then it doesn't matter one way or the other whether you release the mainsheet when you hoist the mainsail. Except that, with the mainsheet tight, most boats will weathercock into the wind when the sails are almost up, making it easier to finish the hoist.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-22-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.