How loose is your main sheet while raising the main? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: How loose is your main sheet while raising the main?
I keep the main sheet tight 6 8.82%
I keep the main sheet a little slack 26 38.24%
I keep the main sheet completely released 36 52.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I singlehand and set the autopilot to head straight into the wind in wind mode, so that the boat will change heading if the wind changes. The boom is high I can't reach it and my boat has in mast furling. Nevertheless I keep the main sheet loose while pulling out the main sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I completely release mine

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 06-22-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
I have always kept the mainsheet tight. I would most always singlehand and did not like the opportunity for the boom to fly around while getting back into the cockpit and knock me over. Even after I had run all the lines aft so I could raise the main from the cockpit I would still keep the mainsheet tight. WHen I raised the main from on deck I would let the halyard go into the cabin through the companionway and once the sails where set and the boat was on course I would wrap the halyard and stow. I guess when you singlehand you figure out wats that you are most comfortable with and fit your agility.
Old 06-22-2009

ericread is on a distinguished road
OK, maybe this is a stoopid question. Several responses have mentioned they keep the mainsheet tight as they don't want to take the chance of havine the boom fly around. To my understanding, this would only occur if the boat were'nt headed directly into the wind. In this instance, would a significant heel be preferable to a boom swing?

Please correct my errors as necessary...

Eric
Old 06-22-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I keep a bit of slack in the mainsheet, after taking up the boom with the topping lift quite a bit. This allows me to hoist the main sail completely without fighting the mainsheet, and prevents the boom from moving around too much.
Same here, except the topping lift part. I get an easier hoist if nothing is pulling down on the sail.
Old 06-22-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericread View Post
OK, maybe this is a stoopid question. Several responses have mentioned they keep the mainsheet tight as they don't want to take the chance of havine the boom fly around. To my understanding, this would only occur if the boat were'nt headed directly into the wind. In this instance, would a significant heel be preferable to a boom swing?

Please correct my errors as necessary...

Eric
If the boat heels with the tiller loose it will round up. I am hooked to the mast and not going anywhere. If need i can make my way back into the ccockpit. If a wind shift happens while getting off deck and the boom swings i'm over the edge and if hit in the head knocked out.
Old 06-22-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
If you notice CD, our infamous moderator, cannot answer this question as he has never raised his sails and has no idea what you people are talking about..."main sheet, pu, thats for the master stateroom, whatever"

I for one want to know how to link my auto pilot to the wind meter, that is cool!?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
If you notice CD, our infamous moderator, cannot answer this question as he has never raised his sails and has no idea what you people are talking about..."main sheet, pu, thats for the master stateroom, whatever"
Very true...

Quote:
I for one want to know how to link my auto pilot to the wind meter, that is cool!?
What autopilot and wind instrument do you have. If you have both Raymarine... then connect them with a Seatalk cable... and you're done.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-22-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
i have a profurl in boom furling system for the fully battened main. i head into the wind with the auto pilot on, & loosen the sheet. i have a solid vang & it's hard to get the main all the way up without the sheet loose.
Old 06-22-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
This seems to be a thread about whether we ease and reset our topping lifts every time we raise and lower the mainsail. At least on my boat, the topping lift is set so that it is loose enough to sail whenever the mainsail is hoisted, no matter how hard I haul in my mainsheet, and I never adjust it otherwise. Consequently, I have to ease my mainsheet or I can't haul my sail up. Its that simple.

That said my halyard winch is near my mainsheet so I keep the sheet tight until the mainsail is halfway or more up before releasing the sheet.

Obviously, if you ease and tighten your topping lift with each mainsail hoist, then it doesn't matter one way or the other whether you release the mainsheet when you hoist the mainsail. Except that, with the mainsheet tight, most boats will weathercock into the wind when the sails are almost up, making it easier to finish the hoist.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-22-2009 at 03:52 PM.