How loose is your main sheet while raising the main? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: How loose is your main sheet while raising the main?
I keep the main sheet tight 6 8.82%
I keep the main sheet a little slack 26 38.24%
I keep the main sheet completely released 36 52.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
On my islander 26 I pulled my main up by hand and would use approx. 1 - 2 twist on the winch to bring it taught. I always keep my mainsheet tight while hoisting the main. With that said even centered and tight the boom will still sway about 1 1/2 feet.

I started this process because before I ran the lines aft I was making my way back to the cockpit after raising the main one day and a power boat came out of port causing a wake that hit the boat at the same time I stepped down of the cabin top. Boat heeled, boom swung and I almost went over. From that day on my mainsheet was always tight.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2009

rodgerdodger is on a distinguished road
Running Stays

I have to keep my mainsheet just loose enough to get the sail all the way up, but I have to keep it pretty tight to keep the head of the main from fouling on the running backstays
Old 06-23-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason3317 View Post
It's important to loose the mainsheet when hoisting the main to get a full hoist, plus make it easier on the crew grinding the halyard up.

In addition, you should probably slack the vang too, if it is not already.
Agreed, especially short-handed or single-handed. If the helmsman or auto-pilot can't keep the boat directly into the wind a completely slack mainsheet will allow you to get the main all the way up more quickly and the boat under sail.

If you have a solid vang this works really well. Release the vang, ease the topping lift (if you have one), and let the main sheet run free. With the boat as much into the wind as you can manage haul away. Even with a very bad back I can get the main up to within a couple of feet of the tape in half a minute or so, and grind the rest of the way up in short order. With the main up, I can return to the cockpit, get the boat on course, set the jib, set the autopilot, and return to the mast to tidy up.

If the main sheet is too tight you will be fighting the breeze pushing the main to leeward as you try to grind the sail up. Too much work.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-24-2009
An Aussie Sailor

Mipcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mipcar Send a message via MSN to Mipcar Send a message via Skype™ to Mipcar
I have a topping lift but still find the main runs up easier if I take a little tension off the sheet, not loose, just eased a little.

Mychael