Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: How loose is your main sheet while raising the main?
I keep the main sheet tight 6 8.82%
I keep the main sheet a little slack 26 38.24%
I keep the main sheet completely released 36 52.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009

legarots is on a distinguished road
How loose is your main sheet while raising the main?

When on a boat with a diesel, and raising the main while motoring into the wind, how loose or tight is your main sheet?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I keep the main sheet tight! I don't want the boom swinging side to side across the cockpit. Also on a boat where you raise the main at the mast, very few things can put over the rail quicker than a swinging boom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2009

jkimberly is on a distinguished road
Main Sheet

I single hand a lot. When its time to raise the main I usually release most of the tension on the sheet so that the boom will move about a foot or so then head up to the mast and haul it up. This allows for some breathing room if she wanders off of directly into the wind. I've had her start to fall off the wind (to either side) with a tight main sheet and it can get pretty interesting rather wuickly when the sheet is tight!
Old 06-22-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I would say it depends on how windy it is and how good the helm person is

On the race boat there is so much stuff in the way you have to be perfect up wind to raise the main OR it will hang on something

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-22-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I forgot to say I have autopilot that I set when I am raising the main. It will keep the boat dead into the wind.

Never Forgotten

Old 06-22-2009

ericread is on a distinguished road
Although you mention your auto pilot, I still think I would continue to completely release my mainsheet. Therer are times the wind tends to shift quite a bit, and the last thing I want is to raise my main with a significant wind on the beam.
Old 06-22-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
I leave the mainsheet loose. I have to go to the mast to raise the main, and I don't want the boat to start heeling while I'm coiling the halyard. Besides, I have my topping lift adjusted so the boom is a little low when the main is down, and slack with the main up. If I don't release the mainsheet, the sail won't go all the way up. I don't have an autopilot, so the boat never stays perfectly upwind. The main is always flogging on one side or the other when it's raised, I just head to the cockpit on the other side.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 06-22-2009
SailGunner

cesarid is on a distinguished road
When the admiral is at the helm I have the mainsheet tight. If I am solo I would have it loose to compensate for not being able to keep the boat dead into the wind.
Old 06-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I keep a bit of slack in the mainsheet, after taking up the boom with the topping lift quite a bit. This allows me to hoist the main sail completely without fighting the mainsheet, and prevents the boom from moving around too much.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-22-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
I forget, sometimes, how much of a luxury it is to have all my sheets led aft to the cockpit and to have an in mast roller furling main. I usually put the autopilot on a heading, keep the mainsheet tight and then release the outhaul/inhaul...then just pull out to the last reef point....if thats steady then more....then if thats steady all the way.