Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
Fair or Foul

Living and sailing up here in Maine I have been very unhappy with the weather so far this "summer". I know its still early but we have been getting A LOT of rain. It has made me wonder.

At what point (weather conditions) do you decide not to go out? Sunny only, a drizzle is fine or even in a downpour? Forecast is for 15-20 knots with gusts to 25 or more or only when the forecast is for 10-15. What if there is a chance of showers?

I'm not talking about when you are out sailing and the weather changes, do you go in or not. I am asking how bad does the weather have to be before you decide not leave leave a warm, dry house to go sailing. Is the threshhold different for when you have crew or singlehand?

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
2001 Beneteau Oceanis 361
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
If we stayed in everytime I hear "Chance of Showers" we would miss a whole lot of sailing. I will even push it sometimes in a "Chance of Thunderstorms". About the only thing that keeps me tied up is High Seas. In my area we get a differnt set of waves known as the Great Lakes Chop. When they get up around 6 feet and over its not a fun ride.
You have to become your own forecaster, take a look at the radar before departing and look at the current sky conditions, than make your decisions.
I don't mind sailing in high winds, but again, in my area that usually means nasty seas; big, no break in between and very steep. What I don't like is docking and leaving the slip in high winds.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think that sailing in rain is fine... that's what they make foul weather gear for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-22-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I agree 100% with sailortjk1. I also think his was post well written by a sailor that has a full cockpit enclosure.

Never Forgotten

Old 06-22-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
Waves and Wind more the factor

If it's a light rain and the wind is good (up to 20 kts) and the seas are light <4 ft, I will go out, if not on my boat, as crew on someone else's.

Once the winds pipe up and/or the waves get significant (in the presence of rain), it's time to rethink the choice. Also a predicted steady, long rain its not a "Go Out Day" either.

DrB
Old 06-22-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
We had all that wet stuff here on the west coast for far too long, nice to see it move to the east coast, hope it never returns.
I hate sailing in the rain then returning to put everything away wet. If it is raining I won't go because I am a fair weather sailor and I also refuse to hoist the sails for any wind under 5 knots.
We get enough non-rainy days to fulfill my needs, as long as it is not cold or rainy I go out, if it is raining I won't leave the house, if it is cold I won't leave the dock.
Old 06-22-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We used to sail in all kinds of ridiculous weather... now older (and wiser ) we tend to pick our days. But once out cruising as we do each "summer" for 5-8 weeks, you get what you get. With the luxury of time we can wait out the real bad crap, but on the other hand in summer, some of the best sailing is when a system blows through.

Warm and wet is OK.. cold and wet no so much anymore these days.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-22-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Good post.

For me personally, it depends if I plan on day sailing, or if I have a definite destination.

For a day sail with my family, any rain harder than a sprinkle and we won't go. And, if the wind is going to be 20+ we won't go. If it's just me, I'll go out in a steady rain but not a real hard rain. And I don't mind wind up to 25 kts, more than that and I'll stay home.

For a cruise type destination, not much holds me back. Wind higher than 25 kts would, as would downpours, but that's about it.

That being said, wish me luck because on Sunday I leave a for a 4-5 day trip from my home port to NYC and back again.

Barry

Old 06-22-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

I got out Tuesday night with the daughter for two hours of sailing in PERFECT conditions (somehow there was no rain for two hours )

I raced on Wednesday and it looked bad but we stayed dry and sailed a good race

I got out Friday night with the wife for two hours BUT the bugs were so BAD we wished it was raining

We did a training race on Sunday morning (fathers day) for a normal leave the dock at 9 back at 12

Everybody at home said you want to go out in that

Perfect sail again

So somehow in the worst freaking weather i can remember we had 4 good sails this week by taking are chances and going sailing

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-22-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccauley123 View Post

At what point (weather conditions) do you decide not to go out? Sunny only, a drizzle is fine or even in a downpour? Forecast is for 15-20 knots with gusts to 25 or more or only when the forecast is for 10-15. What if there is a chance of showers?
Sailed Mon, Tuesday (was nice), raced Wed. We then left Friday for the weekend and got back Sunday night. This weekend we had the entire bay to ourselves. Anchored at Jewell with no other boats. Anchored at Chebeague Island with no other visiting boats and spent the night at the Goslings with only one other crew. I like it rainy and fogy sometimes as it gets quite peaceful. The only boats we saw for the most part were lobsterman. For off shore sustained 30+ keeps the wife at home but I'm a glutton. In the bay she does not mind 25-30..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-22-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.