SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The VERY best item you have put on your boat...

10K views 53 replies 52 participants last post by  tylax6 
#1 ·
I believe there was an old thread like this, but I thought we would run a new one.

So, of all the things you have done to your boat, what has been the single best thing? Provide pics if you can.

I will tell you mine: The solar array.

It is out of sight expensive. I think I dropped about $7,000 or better on the thing. But it has made my boat completely off the grid. I do not have to worry about power too much. I have and can install things like household fans, run a hair dryer, coffee makers, etc without worry and without the expense of buying marine units. We are even looking at a small 110v deep freeze and know we have the power to run it and without it being a major drain. It has given us LOTS of freedom.

Of course, with the solar panels we also increased our battery bank and installed a large Prosine 2k inverter... but still would say of all the things so far, I like the array the best - especially when coupled to my other items.

What's your best investment so far?

- CD

See less See more
#27 ·
I got most of the bells and whistles on my boat already! But what i found to be the best addition to my boat has been Kids. MY kids, the neighbors kids, friends of my kids that are kids, guests kids.

They are so happy to take a ride in the "special chair" to the top of the mast. Give them a rag and a good "Arrrrrrrr you weak livered Scoundrel" and they will clean up anything.

But the best thing about kids is they way they smile when they are at the helm. It keeps the Capt. happy!

#28 ·
Time.
No matter how much time I put into the boat cleaning, upgrading, towing, launching it's always repaid a hundred fold when the sheets are harden up and we catch the breath of God and go out there.

#30 ·
The Count has got it right:D . The best addition is my wife, who is my crew. She does a great night watch, cooks, cleans, navigates, keeps me entertained, and a host of other;) benefits. She makes the sailing life much easier, and I only have to do half the cooking, cleaning,etc.etc. She's easy on the eyes too IMHO:rolleyes: .......i2f

Attachments

#37 ·
My vote for the best thing(s) we have put on our boats over the years:

Solar Showers. Simple, foolproof, economical and luxurious.

Bimini - could not live without one.

Masthead fly/Windex - I use it and trust it more than the $800+ electronic masthead instruments - which are the first things to fail in my experience. Current boat that and the sail ticklers are all we go by or intend to use.

Wheel AutoPilot - Last two boats have had the ST4000+ and it is a very handy thing at times.

Channellock #440 Pliers - fuel filters, oil filters, crusted on hoses, reluctant seacock handles, galley fittings, pull nails, leverage to unstick stuck anchor shackle pins. Should be in every boat toolbox.

Some things we have had but "surrendered" without remorse:

Air conditioning/rev-cycle heat. Great pleasure, but you can't use it underway and it becomes an excuse to not leave the dock.

Refrigeration. Ice box is just as effective and does not need the added space/nuisance/drain of a compressor.

SeaTalk Bus. My few current instruments don't talk to each other . . . but that means I now again listen to the environment and not some display.

Inverter. Thought I was going to miss this more than I have so far. If you don't have a bunch of appliances or equipment aboard that needs 120V it really doesn't add much.

#42 · (Edited)
GREAT idea for a thread!

Even though I added things like running water, hot water, 110v, etc to the last boat, by far the best thing was the fireplace. It was a brass wall mounted cole-stove. It was fiddly to run, but the bunk in the saloon turned into a double and the glow from the fire with some red wine and the right company was absolutely priceless....

Most honorable mention goes to the ever-suffering rule bilge pumps that kept that puppy afloat for the 6 years I lived on her. Rule bilge pumps are amazing.

On the new boat,

1: Converting the main berth back to a double bed. (and adding teak grab handles above it :D )
2: Good quality binoculars with a built in compass.
3: Sun showers (even though we have engine hot water)
4: The masthead windex
5: Standard Horizons GX3000S VHF. Fantastic.

Hopefully all will be overshadowed by the newly installed Nature's Head composting toilet. Too soon to say yet though....

MedSailor

#43 ·
1) Autopilot -- a must-have, as I am almost always truly or de facto single-handing. I've got the ST-4000 wheelpilot and have come to perhaps over-rely on it in any conditions where it can hold the course.
2) GPS -- Nothing fancy, just whatever the current bottom-of-the-line Garmin happens to be. I mostly day sail and when I get the call from my wife "when will you be back?" I can finally give her an accurate answer. That having been said, I've finally installed some charting software on the laptop and am seeing the light about chart plotters with GPS integration.
3) Grill -- While I wouldn't recommend the cheap ones, nothing livens up a boat like cooking out on it. It might even be better than beer since the kids can get in on the fun, too. I have a cheap (by marine grill standards) Magma and it won't stay lit in more than 10 kts or apparent wind, so spend the cash and get a good one if you do.
4) Spreader lights -- cleaning up the sails, running rigging, trash, etc. while holding a flashlight sucks.

Top To-Do:
New Bimini & Dodger -- the boat budget got blown on a new transmission this year, so I'm currently bimini-less and the dodger is literally coming apart at the seams, and I've re-gained my appreciation for them. Yesterday, for example, while running with < 5 kts of apparent wind and not a cloud in the sky, was a hot and sweaty mess, and it was a cool day on the Great Lakes, temperature-wise.

#45 ·
The Admiral: Sailing is more fun and meaningful when you have someone to share the experiences (assuming you survive them :eek:).

Rail-Mount Grill
: FL summers are terrible if you have to cook inside, but the grill really helps keep the interior bearable.

Auto-Pilot: Without this I would have a very difficult time single-handing my boat.

My Kindle: I like to read, but did not have the room for books on my live-aboard until I got this.

Verizon MiFi: I used an aircard before, which is limited to one machine, but this is a wireless router-cellular modem for up to 5 devices, keeping the Admiral and the kids happy with their devices too.

#51 ·
The single best item: roller furling, no question. It single-handedly made single handing enjoyable. A close second: new main and 135 jenny.

Runner up: new outboard to replace the twenty five year old cranky unit that came with the boat.

Two somewhat controversial (at least for this forum) third place finishers: The Tiller Tamer, and Winchers.

#52 ·
Front opening fridge door - direct beer access

Lots of these choices work for me too.

The big screen GPS mounted by the wheel was the first thing I added. The new sails have been great. The cascaded outhaul was good. The solar panel was supposed to be temporary and its still with me. Fixing the autopilot is a heart warming moment every time I do it. I love showing off high end marine binocs to landlubbers, both the super bright 7x50's and the gyrostablized 12x30's.

But even better than the replacement refrigeration system that keeps my beer ice cold - the single thing that I like the best and take the most pride in is the front opening door that I added on the old top loading box which allows me to snatch my beers directly out of the bottom without reaching down past all the food my wife keeps bringing on trips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.