CS Merlin - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-28-2009 Thread Starter

CS Merlin

Hi,
I purchased a 36 CS Merlin a little over a year ago. So far I have only sailed her in the lake Ontario area.
I am wondering about her capacity to undertake the occasional ocean/offshore passage to the Caribbean.
Any ideas, advice, will be welcomed.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-28-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

I bought my Merlin (#6236) in 1988. In 1990 I took it to the Bahamas and between then and 2003 we made eight trips south from Toronto in her. I still have the Merlin but since I got a Beneteau 393 in 2004 the Merlin gets hauled in the winter. The Merlin has stood up very well, I just replaced the running rigging this season and the original rod rigging is still good. One great feature was the 150 gallon fresh water capacity. The only thing I dislike about the boat is the shallow bilge. In some later models they put in a little well for the bilge pump. Oh, another thing, I really hated the original Volvo 2003 and replaced that with a Yanmar 3GM30F soon after my first trip south.

We have run into our share of bad weather on our trips south and back and can only say that the boat's a lot tougher than I am. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-29-2009 Thread Starter

Thanks Vasco. I have sent you a personal message.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.