Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
what kind of spinnaker do I have?

I have a spinnaker that came with the boat that I bought this year and I'm wondering how I can tell what kind it is? Symetrical, assymetrical, cruising?

I had it out of the bag for the first time and spread it in the back yard yesterday just to take a look. I'm still learning to handle the jim and main in my sloop rig but getting more and more curious about trying the spinnaker. From what I've been reading much depends on what kind I have.

It came with a spinnaker pole and the sheets and looks like it has everything else rigged to fly it. I'd just have to figure out what it all does.
Mike
Cal 36 #54
Ida Rose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Go out on a friend's boat that has a spinnaker and learn from him.

Just make sure that he isn't the "Capt Ron" or "Capt Wolf Larsen" type of person.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 06-29-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
If it's intended for use with a spin pole, it's likely a conventional symmetrical spinnaker.

If you have space to spread it out on the lawn, you can often tell merely by the shape. A symmetrical spinnaker will be shaped like an isosceles triangle. An asymmetric chute will be more like a scalene right triangle.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-29-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If it came with a pole, it's most likely a symmetrical spinnaker. Boasun's idea is a good one, go out with someone, or take someone along, who knows how to handle a kite. You'll learn more in a day than in several mistrials.

If that's not possible, try not to choose a day with REALLY light winds.. it makes it very difficult to keep the sail flying and will lead to frustration and no realization of whether or not you're doing something right or wrong. A nice 10 knot breeze is about ideal, by the time you're heading downwind-ish there's not much pressure left but enough to learn the ropes.

Basic beginner's ideas: adjust pole height to keep the clews approximately level, trim the pole fore-and-aft to about 90 deg to the apparent wind, and ease and trim the sheet to have the leading edge of the kite collapse or fold slightly in the shoulders several times a minute.

Good luck! It's a lotta fun once you get the hang of it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-29-2009
55,000nm 2X South Pacific

davebkanelavie is on a distinguished road
Does the sail have any markings like the works "head", "tack" or "clew" written on any of the corners? If you see the word "tack" then you have an A-Sail.

Compare the corners. If two match exactly in terms of reinforcement patches and shape then it's likely symmetrical.

How old is the sail? If old then you can guess that it's not an A-Sail but a symmetrical spinnaker.

Old 06-29-2009
99% landlubber, 1% sailor

modul8 is on a distinguished road
if two of the sides have equal lengths, or if two of the corners have equal angles, your spinnaker is symmetrical.
Old 06-30-2009

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
Yep, it's symetrical

I found the tack with a bronze swivel eye and rings sewn into the two clews. The only marking is the maker's label, Melges of Wisconsin. I folded it in half and it's perfectly symetrical. It looks mighty big.

When I first sailed my boat this spring all the extra lines hanging around the mast were an annoyance. Now that I'm starting to get the hang of handling two sails, jib and main, I want to take it to the next level. Not immediately and certainly not on my own, but I'm looking forward to it. The spinnaker looks so cool. If it moves me faster downwind then it's a bonus.

Mike
Cal 36 #54
Ida Rose
Old 06-30-2009
55,000nm 2X South Pacific

davebkanelavie is on a distinguished road
Yes, Spinnakers are cool. But, it would be good for your first try to:

1). Have light winds and calm seas.
2). Have someone with spinnaker experience on board.
3). Make sure someone competent is steering the boat as they can make or break things.

Good luck I'm sure you'll have success and a great time trying out your sail.

PS don't forget the camera as spinnaker pictures are always great.

Old 06-30-2009
Flotsam with attitude

Naughtylus is on a distinguished road
Hi - Remember that your spinnaker pole should be set up with its own halyard, on the windward side, at about 90 degrees to the apparent. The line running from the windward clew through the outer end of the pole will be called the guy, while the other (both should be going outside everything else ) will be the sheet.
You would normally rig the pole and sheets before raising the spinnaker on it's own halyard.

Once deployed, the sail increases in power as the sheet is released, until the windward edge begins to furl. You need to sheet in a little to maintain if this furling is very pronounced. Once the sail regains it's shape, you can let out a little to maintain power.

Your backstay should be eased with the spinnaker up.

To gybe, you need to change the pole to the 'new' windward side, and the old sheet becomes the new guy, but that's a whole other story and you may be confused enough as it is !

The guys advising you to wait for gentle conditions are absolutely right.

The spinnaker adds a whole new dimension to your sailing and I hope you enjoy it! There's nothing more exciting than surfing down a following sea with the spinnaker powering you.
Old 06-30-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Watch a video, get help or read a lot before you hoist it. It is the one sail that can actually pull your boat over and there have been some very serious accidents resulting from mishandling of the spinnaker pole.

That said - they're a lot of fun !

Good Luck !

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.