Cape May-Atlantic Highlands-LI Sound and Block Island - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Our much anticipated pilgramage 9 (we travel to NE most summers) begins in 10 days on July 10. Our anticipated stops include Cape May, Barnegat Lighthouse, Atlantic Highlands, through Hell Gate to Northport Harbor , Port Jefferson, Westbrooke Harbor, Mystic Seaport (July 17 and 18), Block Island (July 19 and 20), Guilford, Huntington Harbor, Atlantic Highlands, Barnegat Lighthouse, Cape May (July 24 and July 25th) and then back home to our club on the Chesapeake in Rock Creek.

We would also love to meet up with any of our extended sailnet family if we are going to be in your area when you are out. Would be nice to put a friendly face ( or scarey one) to the comments I read here.

Dave
There have been a fair number of posts about places to go, things to do, and where to stay, including some by me. I'll give a few thoughts, but I encourage you to search a bit.

Give some thought to stopping in Port Washington (Manhasset Bay) on your way to Northport. It's the first good harbor on Long Island after you enter the Sound. Very good holding, can grab a mooring if you prefer, and very nice and accommodating Yacht Clubs. There's also a water taxi. The town has some nice stuff too. A park for the young ones, if you have them with you. A number of good restaurants (Louie's is a landmark, and is a dock-n-dine). There's also a West Marine and supermarket walking distance from the harbor.

Port Jeff gives you lots of options in terms of mooring, dockage or anchoring. You probably already know that considering that you're going there and you indicated that you've been there before.

A place you have not mentioned in Milford. It's right across the Sound from Port Jeff, and it's a nice harbor. You need to go dockside or tie up to one of their floats. There are a number of clubs and marinas, and you're walking distance to town.

In Westbrook, are you planning to stay dockside or anchor behind Duck Island? I've done both several times. Pluses and minuses to everything. Dinghy distance is Bill's Seafood, which essentially is a greasy spoon, but a fun one.

An entire area you left off, which you might want to consider and thus skip a place like Guilford or maybe even Huntington (considering that you're going to Northport on your way out), is the Shelter Island/Gardiner's Bay area. This area offers a number of harbors with tons of stuff to do, and some of the best sailing I've done has been in Gardiner's Bay. You have Greenport, and if you go there stay at the Mitchell Park Marina (it's a new municipal marina right in the heart of town with beautiful floating docks). There are bars, restaurants, shopping, and even a carousel right there at the marina. If you go, as for Jeff the manager. It's a great spot and the town really is in a period of revitalization. In this area you also have Sag Harbor, which is a town, not a harbor, though it has a beautiful harbor filled with mega yachts. On Shelter Island itself you have Dering Harbor (not my favorite), Coecles and West neck Harbor. The latter two give you seclusion and great scenery.

You also didn't mention the Connecticut River, which has Old Saybrook and Essex, which both boast nice downtown areas with restaurants, shops, and, of course, bars.

Just some of my 2 minute thoughts. I know you can't get everywhere in a single trip, but it sure is fun to try!

We'll be out east from July 11-25 or so. We'll likely be farther east (Block Island, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket the first week) than you will be, but you never know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2009

robertgwhiteside is on a distinguished road
New England

We have gone to New England for the last 5 years from NYC but with the weather forecast barely reaching 70 out east for the upcoming 10 days, we were considering heading down the Jersey coast. We are leaving tomorrow night and the problem is we are not as familiar with anchorages - we really like anchoring out. And, I certainly don't know of any anchorages at the Jersey shore that can live up to the Great Salt Pond. The forecasts for Beach Haven and Cape May are hovering around 80 rather than 70 - this is pretty compelling and there don't seem to be many signs of a big shift in the cool wet pattern. The 5 foot draft is always an issue in those shallow bays as well.
Old 07-01-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
chef2. I thought you might find this interesting!

LI Dolphin Visits Could Mean Water is Cleaner

Written by Associated Press on Jun 30th, 2009 and filed under L.I. News, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry or email the author.

Experts say recent bottlenose dolphin sightings could indicate that water quality has improved in Long Island Sound.
Experts say it’s been at least 30 years since they’d seen bottlenose dolphins in the Sound in the summertime.
The first sightings were Thursday off Glen Cove. They reappeared again Monday. A smaller group was spotted off City Island, in the Bronx.
The dolphins were chasing fish — a sign the water is well-stocked with herring.
Hofstra University biology professor Chris Sanford says the real test will come next year. If the dolphins return, Sound waters may be clean enough to sustain a population.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 07-01-2009

robertgwhiteside is on a distinguished road
Bottlenose

Believe it or not we see fish even in the marina a Liberty State Park. It is nice to hear that the water quality appears to be improving. We have commented on the cleanliness amongst ourselves during our weekend adventures.
Old 07-01-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
When Danielgoldberg suggested Port Washington I thought to add that the North Hempstead town moorings there are free for a couple of days! Definitely a worthwhile stop. Also consider the inlet at Mattituck or up into little Naragasett Bay anchorage behind Napatree Beach at Watch Hill,- an excellent departure point for Block Island. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-01-2009

hardalee22 is on a distinguished road
Greenport Suggestion

Hello,

Sterling Basin is the best spot in Greenport for mooring. No room to anchor but a mooring is around $1 a foot (at least it was last year). It is the calmest mooring field you will ever find.

Try this number for the harbormaster (631-477-0392). Not sure if it is still up to date. If it doesn't work, try the brewers yard there. they should have his number.

Have a good trip.
Old 07-02-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
FDEfran,

Thanks for your information on the Highlands. It will be our stop on the way up to the LI Sound and back. Semms like a good place to take in.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-02-2009

Bubba,

I havent seen dolphins for years in the Lower Sound. Thats a great sign. We had them follow our boat up the Jersey Coast last year. One pod of 40-50 stayed alongside for 3 hours from Atlantic City to Stone Harbor. Made the whole trip for my wife,,,she still dreams about it

Captain..thanks for the North hempstead info. Do you need to hail anyone or just grab the mooorings.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-03-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Active Captain

Hello,

Have you ever visited this web site:
ActiveCaptain - The free, interactive cruising guidebook
You need to register, but it's very worthwhile. Select an area and find good local information.

Anyway, in Port Jefferson, I do not recommend Danfords Marina. It is very expensive. The restaurant is not good either. The Town has a marina, sometimes they have transient slips available. If not, you can anchor or take a mooring from Silver Bay marine. There are lots of good restaurants in town, some expensive, some cheap. Let me know if you want any specific recommendations (I live 10 minutes away). There is also a West Marine close by (too far to walk though).

Barry

Old 07-03-2009

Barry,

I do use Active Captain it is a great site for the most part. I also have the Mapteck Embassy Guide of the LI Sound. There is nothing like the locals perceptions and feelings though. I would enjoy your recommendations of Port Jeff restaurants. Any kind.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-