Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009

OhioTom is on a distinguished road
Adjustable backstay of a masthead rig?

I'm starting to renovate a sailboat and I have a question regarding its rig.

The boat has a masthead rig, a rod backstay (versus wire standing rigging elsewhere), and an old Stearn hydraulic backstay adjuster.

I thought there was really no point to an adjustable backstay on a masthead rigged boat.

My inclination is to ditch the hydraulic backstay adjuster and replace the rod rigging with a wire backstay and a turnbuckle.

Am I missing something here or is there some use to an adjustable backstay on a masthead rig?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
WHile you do not get the control etc of a fractional rig, you can still tighten up the forestay a bit more, which IIRC pulls the draft forward some{it might be back, but don't quote me], removing/lessoning weather helm a bit. I have pretty good success with my MH rig tightening up the back stay. I am able to bend the mast some, not like a fractional can, but I can create some mast bend, to help the sail in heavier winds.

Marty
Old 06-30-2009

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
You dont say what kind of boat you have, it could be helpful.

The backstay is used to controll the bend in the mast and to a degree the forestay tension.

But to make this possible you will need a masthead fitting on the mast where the attachement of the backstay are placed some inches (6?) further aft than the aft wall of the mast section. These masthead fittings are also angled so the aft part sits higher than the forward part.

With a setup like this the mast should be adjusted with a little bit of prebend in the mast.

I would gess that since you have the setup you described your mast is of this construction.

I would not remove the hydraulic backstay adjuster on my boat. If necessary it should not cost so much to service the adjuster.

You can replace the rod with wire (I have a wire backstay with hydraulic tensioner).

On my boat adjustable length on the backstay tensioner is so short that I have to put in some bend in the mast before I can connect the backstay to the backstay tensioner (the base prebend)
Old 06-30-2009

The boat is a Soverel 26. It also has a baby stay with a fiddle block for tensioning. Again, I'm wondering if this setup can really bend the mast enough - without causing too much strain on the rig/boat - to actually flatten the sail enough to make any practical difference.
Old 06-30-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
If you have a Soverel 26, the mast is designed specifically to be tweaked to accommodate various conditions you will encounter. It has a rather spindly spar, on purpose, to allow for this. Removing or degrading equipment will not enhance the boat's performance and will likely reduce potential resale value. Go to the Soverel 26 website to learn more about how to use all the bells, whistles and strings. There are lots on Soverels.
Old 06-30-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I sail on a masthead C&C 35 with hydraulic backstay and baby stay and it bends like a J24 mast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Yes, a backstay adjuster does make sense on a masthead rig. While it can't perform to bend the mast like it can on a fractional rig, it will bend the mast a bit, and it'll definitely tighten the forestay. We have a backstay tensioner on our Pearson P30, and we use it. In fact: I used it in a race two weeks ago Sunday: Tightening it on the beat and easing it somewhat on the reach.

Jim
Old 07-01-2009

Thanks for the replys. I think I'll take a good look at the hydraulic adjuster to see if its worth it to rebuild. If not, I'll just convert it to a block and tackle adjuster. Any idea what mechanical advantage I would need?
Old 07-01-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
It takes a lot of mechanical advantage to = a hydraulic adjuster. While I had mine off for a rebuild, I had a 4/1 (not really much) on the backstay and it would not even affect the headstay sag. The hydraulic will pull the headstay, and I can bend the mast on my J/34c (masthead rigged) completely out of column if I want. I like my hydraulic. I had Westmarine rigging shop rebuild mine.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

Old 07-01-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You might look at the Harken site, their is a "compuspec" link, that will spec out an appropriate adjuster for you, based on your boat, type of sailing you do ie heavy air, racing etc.

Otherwise, it is a complete SWAG on all our parts.

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.