Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Tell EPA to Wait on Ethanol Increase

Tell EPA to Wait on Ethanol Increase (from BoatUS Magazine)

The ethanol industry is asking the Environmental Protection Agency to increase ethanol in gasoline to 15% (E15), without conducting research on what this will do to your boat. It's well established that the current 10% Ethanol level (E10) causes big problems for some marine engines and fuel systems, and rushing E15 fuel to market, without research, could be a disaster.

But 54 ethanol producers can't wait. They've asked EPA to allow E15 fuel and you have until July 20 to tell the agency, No, at least not with out testing because today's boats are not designed or warranteed for fuel above E10.

Send your comments directly to the EPA at NMMA - Government Center But please act today. July 20 is the deadline.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2009

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
Ethanol is such a bad idea, and everyone knows it. Of course, the ethanol producers want it to be government mandated! Wouldn't you like to have the market cornered on a product that is suddenly required by law?
Old 07-01-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I do nto personally like E10, one of my trucks gets 10MPG with straight gas, 8 with E10, so for every 100 miles I drive, I use 10 Gals of straight gas, and with E10, just under 11 gals of straight gas and 1.5 gals of ethanol! Makes sense does it not?!?!? NOT! This is supposed to remove our dependence on foreign oil?

oops. sorry about the political rant!

Marty
Old 07-01-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
Semi Jim,
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have just finnished connecting to the NMMA website and sending my letter opposing the use of E-15. It was quick and easy and I encourage all sailors to do likewise. Rick
Old 07-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The reason you get lower fuel efficiency with E10 than with the older MTBE-formulated gasoline is simple... Ethanol is an fuel oxygenator, since all alcohols have an OOH group on one end. This means that the fuel will burn slightly cleaner... but it will also reduce fuel efficiency, since you're now paying for oxygen in your fuel. Any space taken up by oxygen in the fuel is going to reduce the energy content of the fuel since, previously, the oxygen was all free... it came from the air the engine aspirated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I do nto personally like E10, one of my trucks gets 10MPG with straight gas, 8 with E10, so for every 100 miles I drive, I use 10 Gals of straight gas, and with E10, just under 11 gals of straight gas and 1.5 gals of ethanol! Makes sense does it not?!?!? NOT! This is supposed to remove our dependence on foreign oil?

oops. sorry about the political rant!

Marty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-01-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
also the fact that alky has 20 % less btu's than gas does not help either. my big question is how long will the catalytic converters last with less heat keeping them clean.

my big compliant with alky fuel is, its not green, it takes way more energy to make it. not that i am a greeny and far from it, but we have to pay for the energy that goes in to making too, and right now the .gov subsidizes it to keep it cheap
Old 07-02-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Recognizing that the boating community represents a tiny fraction of the carbon emission problem from gasoline combustion, it seems doubtful there would be any impact if EVERYONE wrote comments against the E increase. The reality is that we are not representative of the larger issue.

If it makes that much difference to you, why not just use E-free fuel in your engines? It is widely available.
Old 07-02-2009

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Alky-free gas?

From k1vsk: "why not just use E-free fuel in your engines? It is widely available."

Where?
Old 07-02-2009

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjablonowski View Post
From k1vsk: "why not just use E-free fuel in your engines? It is widely available."

Where?
Depending on your location, many gas stations may have it and certainly all av-gas sources.
Old 07-02-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I suggest you consider the storage stability issues of bio-diesel - it's coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
I got a diesel. If they put it in diesel I'll make my own fuel. diesels with run on just about anything.
But, it sucks for gas motors. Alot of people having trouble w/ it. I heard it tears up the fiberglass fuel tanks ! and hoses and such as well.
I would think that the alcohol/ethenol would draw alot of moisture into the fuel also ?

Though biodiesel is OK in cars, it has been a failure in stand-by applications, and boats are like that.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber