SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   folding dinghy plans, or modding plans (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/55862-folding-dinghy-plans-modding-plans.html)

scottyt 07-02-2009 02:01 AM

folding dinghy plans, or modding plans

okay, i still need a real dinghy, and having a 27 foot boat a porta boat looks like a great idea, but they are pricey, very pricey. i found a plan on line for a folding dinghy that uses marine canvas ( would be sunbrella and replaceable if possible ) for the hinge and transom water proofing. the real problem i see with it is it uses 3/8 ply and weighs 80 lbs for a 10 footer. i wonder if using 1/4 ply with a layer of glass inside and out would be strong enough, and weight less, and shrink it slightly to around 8'. i am thinking a layer of 6 oz inside and out, which would weight roughly a pound per square yard, and the boat probably is around 6 or 7 square yards. so if it weights 10 lbs with glass and epoxy, but weights 20 lbs less than 3/8 ply would it be stiff enough. i would be happier with the final weight around 60 lbs, and by shrinking it i might be able to get more than one section out of a sheet

what does every body think of the strength of 1/4 ply with 6 oz glass? i would mod the plans some by putting in porta boat style transom, which folds with the boat then a second removable layer of wood to make it solid.

one thing i like is the plans i found look better than a porta boat too

sailingdog 07-02-2009 07:23 AM

IF you posted a link to the plans, it would make it easier for us to advise you. :)

Personally, I like my porta-bote... but it was originally not bought for use a sailboat tender, but as a fishing boat...a gift from my wife. :) That may be biasing my opinion a bit... but it rows credibly well and motors even better. :)

WanderingStar 07-02-2009 08:06 AM

There's an existing design for an 8' folding dinghy called "Flapdoodle". The designer has a website. he claims it's light enough to carry under your arm. There's also a building blog about one of these called "barquito". Have fun.

sailingdog 07-02-2009 08:27 AM

For the Flapdoodle.. see HERE

lshick 07-02-2009 09:19 AM

Nesting/folding dinghies

Yachting and Boating World forums: Best DIY folding/nesting dinghy kit

deniseO30 07-02-2009 10:09 AM

Ply with glass and epoxy would too heavy. most plywood designs do not need glass. Consider a nesting dinghy like the spindrift instead.

scottyt 07-02-2009 01:04 PM

this is the one i found boat plans

i will look in the other posted here, thanks for the links

as for a nesting my wife already has to stand when at the helm because cant see over the cabin, so a nesting one on the deck is out of the question

Valiente 07-02-2009 01:04 PM

Why not get a used Portabote? I did from a member here at Sailnet and we are quite happy with it and used it last weekend with the 2 HP Honda, having, as my son noted, "four and a half knots of fun" and using about six quarters' worth of gasoline.

scottyt 07-02-2009 01:11 PM

i like the flapdoodle. i also like the one i posted as its has a pointy bow, which for some reason looks more boaty to me

WanderingStar 07-02-2009 05:19 PM

Pointy boats are better in every way, except being too long to stow.